Dog Den 2

eastwash

Dog Den 2

Post by eastwash » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44 am

For people that own one of these what do you think are they worth the money? What are the outdoor conditions that you have? What do you use as bedding. Any pros or cons regarding them?
Looking into one of these for my llew.

thanks in advance
eastwash
Two Faced Jake

stonegripper

Re: Dog Den 2

Post by stonegripper » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:49 pm

I've got a couple. Very easy to assemble. I added a 3/4 inch piece of plywood to the inside floor...makes it warmer than metal. I also add wood chips for bedding. I am in ND, so the cold is a factor and these houses do well. The only negative is that snow does get in around the sides and bottom if the wind is blowing. Very easy to keep clean and I've yet to have a dog tear one up.

Will

Post by Will » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:58 pm

Worth the money in my opinion. I'm in Central Illinois where the weather can change in very short order....we always experience some sub zeros during winter, but I usually bring my dog indoors over night when it does. I use grass hay for bedding and I'm adding a heating pad as soon as it arrives. I think it'll last a good long time. I guess I can't think of any cons to this box.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:07 pm

They seem to be very well made. If I werent so cheap I would buy a couple rather than making mine out of plastic barrels.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:51 am

I have had rust problems with the metal floor in them. I asked the manufacturer and they said bedding exacerbated the problem as it kept the floor wet. I would be interested to hear if the plywood insert affected or corrected the rusting.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:53 pm

I use the dog den 2's here in Alabama without bedding. We lined the bottoms with thick rubber stall mats cut to size. Rust is a problem and not just in the bottoms. The galvanized metal reacts poorly to urine and rust started showing up on ours within two years. We painted ours with a bed-liner material from Walmart and no more problems.

Yes they are expensive but our kennel is connected to the public sewer system preventing us from using any type bedding. Given the fact that the houses are very well insulated and the winters are mild in this part of the country our dogs make it fine.

Another thing is, they really are chew proof.

Charles

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:50 pm

IMO they are overpriced for no more than they are. However, that just depends on the number of shelters you need to provide for the number of dogs you have. For me I would need to take a loan out on my house to put all of em in DD2's. :lol:

The K-9 Kondo Kit for a 55 Plastic Drum is the way to go and will never wear out either. As far as bedding goes I prefer Prairie Hay. Pack it in there until you think the dog can't get inside. They will root their way in and nest and be very warm and comfortable. REMEMBER THIS: As far as preparing your dog for cold weather conditions, it is not so much what you put the dog in, but what you put on the dog and under the dog. Simply put, Well fed and Warm Bed. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:22 pm

I have a few of them, and I doubt I will buy them again. I have a couple dogs that have figured out how to get the lids off the house. They have then chewed the edge of the house, which pretty much ruined it. I had to run screws through the roof and the house to keep them on. I use grass hay as bedding. If you change it often, rust is not an issue.

Mike Clutter

Post by Mike Clutter » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:28 am

I've got a couple of buddies that use them I've always had the k9 kondos. A couple of them are about 12 years old. The ones I do have experience with have the rust and lid issues. One guy uses his to whelp in. I'm with PFP I would need a loan to get enough of them.

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:53 pm

does anybody put anything around their k-9 condos to insulate them?
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:48 pm

I won't have anymore, just got rid of 6 of them. Rusted out. They have lasted better in Ricks kennel where they are on the outside, just the door extends inside.
brenda

Shotgun Kennel

Post by Shotgun Kennel » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:20 am

I Have 7 of them.Plus I use the heater option. I keep them in a pole barn with outside runs. The oldest is 6 years old and no issues. A couple of my dogs are chewers and have not damaged this house. I do not keep mats in those houses because they just chew them up. I think they are great houses for how I use them (out of the weather).
There are only two seasons. One is hunting the other, is not.