Lyme Diagnosis

gar-dog

Lyme Diagnosis

Post by gar-dog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:12 am

I took Ginger in to the vet yesterday to have a needle biopsy for a lump, and we got her shots that were due, blood drawn, etc. On the way home I got a call that she tested positive for Lyme so I will have to start her on antibiotics. Good news is she has no symptoms, so we caught it early. (I use Frontline Plus, but last dose given was in October). I'll hear back on the lump in a few days. What a way to start the new year. :(

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Lyme Diagnosis

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:17 pm

sorry to here that

glad you caught it early
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:38 pm

If it's likely that the dog was bitten with the deer tick while hunting with you, I would keep an eye on myself. Could have been a deer tick infested area. Keep an eye for a bullseye like rash. Probably won't happen but it never hurts to keep an eye out.

We have some strong concentrations of deerticks up hear in Ontario. Dogs I know who have contracted Lyme Disease have turned out fine.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:34 pm

I live in NJ, and just about everyone I know has had - or has - Lyme disease. However, none of my dogs have had it. And I have a lot of dogs... Although our vet has told us of other dogs (and cats) with Lyme.

We use Frontline now every month. I suggest you do the same. Good luck with your dog - I hope she gets better soon!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:03 pm

My friend has the results of lyme disease so bad, he can't even take out the garbage.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:04 pm

We started Ginger on antibiotics today, although she shows no symptoms whatsoever. The vet said a positive result means the dog has been exposed to it and has produced antibodies because of it, but that doesn't mean the she will necessarily "get it." I have been tested for Lyme a few years ago. I might again just for good measure.

The needle biopsy of her lump was inconclusive. The vet suggested we just monitor it for a month and if there is change then do a regular biopsy.

Tough weekend for our dog... and we didn't get any birds on Saturday either....

G