Shipping advise from St. Louis

postoakshorthairs

Shipping advise from St. Louis

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:23 am

I have an adult gsp that a buyer wants to have shipped from STL. I haven't shipped a pup in a long time and have never shipped an adult dog. I know there are certain rules for crate size, health cert, temperature etc....specific to the airlines. My question is more specific to St. Louis. Southwest is the big carrier and from what I can find they don't ship pets. I would appreciate any input from those with some experience. I also have the option of Indianapolis if needed but it's an hour and a half further. I have some calls out within the airport but with the holidays it may be a while.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Shipping advise from St. Louis

Post by Karen » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:27 am

You might want to PM mm on this board. I believe he just had a pup shipped from St. Louis to NY.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Blue Briar

Post by Blue Briar » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:31 am

I have shipped dogs on Northwest,Delta and Continental. Continental seems to be the cheapest and more flexible than the others. I am not sure of the temp requirements for them. Helath clearance from Vet and also a food and waterbowl must accompany the crate( clip on door style). Absorbant bedding of some sort is uaually required( we use shredded newspaper). It is very important that the crate is sized properly or they will not accept. An adult shorthair usally requires and extra large size crate. Also make sure the person who will be picking the animal up is listed and has proper id or they will not release him.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:01 am

This is who I use, Delta Pet First. 888 736 3738
brenda

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:01 pm

Delta and Continental are the best in my opinion. I use to use Delta but have used Continental the last few times. Call the airlines and find out what flights they have that suit your needs. Then whatever airline you decide to go with ask them for shipping requirements. Some of the requirements that I remember are. You have to have a crate large enough for the dog to stand up and turn around.Now they require two of the clip on dishes. They suggest a packet of dog food taped on top of crate. Dog will need health certificate and proof of rabies shot.You will notice that the arrival and departure times can be longer or shorter with different flights even with the same airline. Try to get a flight where cargo is not transfered to another plane.I suggest the dog have a collar so that when the person that is picking him up can grab something and put a leash on him.I have always been told to try and avoid O'Hara airport.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for their posts so far they've really been helpful.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:29 pm

We use continental airlines. We are very pleased thus far. Check em out.
Oh yeah.. One more thing. Make sure your crate has bolts or screws holding the shell together. If you take one with locking snaps you'll be heading back home with dog and crate. Happened to us with the Remington carrier. Their website even had it listed as an approved carrier. The freight guy said "that happens all the time" :lol: :roll:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"