Garmin Astro issues

gunner

Garmin Astro issues

Post by gunner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:55 am

I purchased a Garmin Astro unit recently but I don't think it's functioning as it should.

The main issue is on the dog compass screen. I calibrate the compass at the beginning of each use. The compass never seems to point where I think North or the other direction are. I live on a north/south road and I feel I know directions pretty well when in the field or when traveling. When I look at the dog page compass I feel the direction I face are always some degrees off.

Under the menu> advanced settings> heading, I have the option of Display; cardinal letters, degrees or mils, whatever that is. Then on North Reference i have the option of or True, Magnetic Grid or User. Then under Magnetic Variation some numerals, arrows , + or - and OK.

I suspect I might be able to adjust these North direction settings to where North should be. My problem is I'm just not sure how to do it.

I found out early on that the magnetic turn on/off pen thats used to opperate other dog training equipment, and that I had attached to my whistle lanyard was creating havoc with the Astro 220 compass bearings. The arrow was often pointing the opposite direction of where I could see the dog. I also wonder if riding the ATV and it's engine or functions may also affected the Astro. Could these factors have permanently screwed up the unit?

I also went to the Garmin website and downloaded recent upgrades even though my unit purchased from LCS was fairly recent the unit was outdated. I'm not sure if this made any difference.

The dog compass arrow is often a number of degrees off from where I can actually see the dog. Yes I know there is a 5 second delay, but even 15 or more seconds the pointer is still way off from where I can see the dog working.

I think Garmin could improve upon their instruction manual and also offer a CD on the Astro unit.

Anybody else experiencing these issues? Any suggestions?

Thank you for any advice.

p.s. Garmin's online email support function does not work, and the message from a "live" support menu is that there is a 45 minute wait. They better improve their support systems!

BDBUzi

Re: Garmin Astro issues

Post by BDBUzi » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:48 pm

Are you holding the handheld unit level (I.E. parallel to the ground) when you take a reading on your dog?

It sounds like you're well aware of the magnetic issues that can come up, and have calibrated the compass...

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:31 pm

BDBUzi,

Thanks for the response.
Yes, I hold the unit parallel to the ground, antennae straight forward from chest level.
Do you know about the differences in the North settings menu?

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 pm

I just use mine to point to the dogs so I can't help with the tech stuff but mtlee on here had some problems with his while hunting in KS a few weeks ago. He simply called Garmin and they walked him through the fix over the phone. Have you tried calling them??

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Man, I think if I had one of those from what I've seen and heard, I'd still be putting a telemetry collar on in addition to the Garmin for extra insurance.

I'm curious Gunner if it's consistently off by a few degrees, could you find a standing dog that isn't in plain site? I guess I'm asking if the unit would "to and fro" you around to where you found the dog or if it would just take you to a spot and say "the dog is here" but it obviously is not. A lot of times with telemetry we'll weeble and wobble a bit across a general vector during the tracking, maybe even go past a buried up dog but ultimately you can put yourself right on 'em. I've done the "toilet bowl swirlie" around a hidden dog many a time - wondering if the GPS unit would do the same or if it would just take you to a spot and either the dog is there or it isn't.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Doug,

It is LIGHT YEARS better than a Tracker. It takes you directly to the dog. No toilet stuff.... :lol:

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:34 pm

It is LIGHT YEARS better than a Tracker. It takes you directly to the dog.
In theory! I've seen it work great, the delay bugs me a bunch though...but what about when it's off a few degrees like Gunner mentioned?

Never lost a dog with telemetry...yet! :lol:

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Yawallac wrote:I just use mine to point to the dogs so I can't help with the tech stuff but mtlee on here had some problems with his while hunting in KS a few weeks ago. He simply called Garmin and they walked him through the fix over the phone. Have you tried calling them??
First they told me to turn the unit off, then hold on and "out" at the same time to reset the unit. The unit needed to be immobile and have good GPS signal for 20 minutes after that. (Didn't work)

Next, They told me to clear tracks, start a new hunt, recalibrate the compass (that worked).

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 pm

I've tried calling Garmin but I can't wait on the phone 45 minutes for a rep.

Their support email "drops" my emailing. Don't know why it doesn't work. I'll try the land line phone again and hope the wait is still not the 45 minutes. I also emailed Lion County Supply where I purchased the unit, but have not received a reply from them as yet. (24hrs)

Page 52 of the manual gives very little infomation on the heading setup other than the obvious. Really no information on setting up the specific user value. And I'm not sure if that can be adjusted to the over 15-20 degrees that I believe the compass is off.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:00 pm

gunner wrote: And I'm not sure if that can be adjusted to the over 15-20 degrees that I believe the compass is off.
Believe it is off? Have you verified it with a regular compass?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:39 pm

Could it be off by the local magnetic declination?