What's your cup of "Tea"

aylaschamp

What's your cup of "Tea"

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 am

In an attempt to redeem myself on here I'd like to ask what everyone does with their dogs. What type of trials do you do and how often? If you trial do you also hunt them? I've done a few hunt tests and found that their not my cup of tea. I mainly trial in NSTRA events now and hunt as often as I can. I've been curious to get into some of the other venues but lack the knowledge of where to start.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: What's your cup of "Tea"

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:05 pm

NAVHDA so far, AKC Hunt Tests in the future, maybe obedience ring and tracking in the future, and I've piddled with Dock Dogs. I hope to do those things with the next pup as well, and maybe a little showing. Agility looks like fun, but I don't know if I have the time or help to get started. And yes we go hunting, although this year was pretty unsuccessful for us with bird #s down, but we had a great time despite that. Good question. Denise

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:34 pm

HUNT EM!!! I know I know, here in Utah, we hunt on mostly preserves, but we have a wild Nevada Chukar hunt planned, a Montana Pheasant Hunt, and a SD Pheasant Trip...and they are all wild!!! I also take em running in the mountains and just go on outings with them a lot. As far as testing goes, I have a dog with 3 legs to her JH, and a dog that I will do a NAVHDA tests with, and I might do one with my new pup in the future. So nothing big at all I go testing just to get out and have fun and meet some good people and see some nice hounds.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:47 pm

Started out with Hunt Tests moved to Walking Trials, now hooked on Horseback Trials. I also run my setter in UFTA sometimes...

The venue has been more driven by what my dogs are capable of competing in well. As my wire streched out, we moved to the horseback trials and my setter is a solid UFTA dog, so basically any event I have a dog that can compete.

I think all venues can be fun have enjoyed them all. When we are done running the HB Trials with my wire, I am going to go run her in NSTRA and have some real fun shooting birds over her.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:41 pm

Addicted to American Field Walking Trials ( setters), ( I love the competition and calibre of dog.) Hunt wild grouse/woodcock in Ontario and released pheasant ( all we got). Try to get out west for Huns if i can.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:40 pm

I love the American Field Walking stuff but have limited time due to my young family. I train dogs year round for trialing and hunting and try to hunt every day possible
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:42 pm

Hunt Tests, Walking trials, Horseback Trials and hunting
h.q.s wrote:I know I know, here in Utah, we hunt on mostly preserves
I from Utah and have hunted preserves twice in my life, found them as fun as a root canal. I have hunted around 20 days this year and none have been on spin ups. This is a low year for chukars but despite that I have done extremely well. Although I trial, nothing excites me more than hunting wild birds.
Get out and pound those hills Lantz the birds are there, they just take a little more effort :wink:
Last edited by Dirtysteve on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Hey I'd love to ... but we just don't know good places, and don't have a lot of weekends to go scouting. My dad and I have always gone to South Dakota for wild birds, but since he has been doing a lot of big game hunting ( he is in Mexico as we speak :D ).. we don't go as much. But it's my dad and I's New Years resolution to go wild PHEASANT / GROUSE / CHUKKAR hunting!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:33 pm

My friend is in Cuba as a I speak on a some kind of quail hunt while I sit here in 2 feet of snow. :(
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:56 pm

My dogs are fist & foremost hunting dogs. I hunt them every chance I get. I try to get in about 30 days per year, if possible. Every year, I try to go to SD for pheasant, prairie chickens & sharptail, and to MT for sharptails & Huns.

During the off season, I train & test with NAVHDA. I found that by the time you get your dog ready for a NAVHDA Utility Test, you usually have a pretty good hunting dog, and that's what's most important to me. I run AKC Master Hunt Tests to get the dogs used to running in a brace, and I compete in a few walking trials just for fun.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:12 pm

I truly am jealous of those of you that get out to hunt often. Here in Texas, unless you know someone or have bucks, things are tight. NSTRA seems to be the venue I've found to allow me to enjoy my dogs and have a nice comerodery with competitors. I'd be really curious to get into some walking trials. Hunt tests aren't my thing. Been there done that and have the ribbons. I don't think I'd ever take a dog to the MH level after seeing some run.

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:09 pm

I went from strictly hunting to mainly UFTA and NBDCA trials. We moved from Il. to In. so not having places to go and watching tournament hunter on the outdoor channel I started trialing. Maybe it was a mistake starting these trials because now I am hooked. We are going to the UFTA NAtionals in Feb. and I can't hardly wait. I guess I am kid of like a kid on Christmas Eve. I did go back home to IL and went hunting with some of my ol buds. It's still as good as it get's.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:49 pm

Hmmm where do I start?

I do AKC hunt tests, AKC field trials, NBHA trials, AKC shows, NAVHDA, and now I am starting some tracking.

Whew!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:54 pm

I wild bird hunt and run NSTRA trials with equal enthusiasm, and take every opportunity to do both. Even though the wild bird numbers have been down here in OK the last few years, I love coming back to the truck at the end of the day with wild birds in the game bag. Even if it is only the few. I enjoy the NSTRA trials a great deal. It just suits my fancy.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:56 am

romeo212000 wrote:I wild bird hunt and run NSTRA trials with equal enthusiasm, and take every opportunity to do both. Even though the wild bird numbers have been down here in OK the last few years, I love coming back to the truck at the end of the day with wild birds in the game bag. Even if it is only the few. I enjoy the NSTRA trials a great deal. It just suits my fancy.
Have you ever run in the lone star region? Seems like I know you from somewhere?

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:18 am

I ran one trial down there this fall. It was a horrible weekend. There was so much ragweed none of the dogs could smell anything. It was the lowest scoring placements I have ever seen. I will be running at least one trial in Lone Star, Mckinney Texas and maybe one more in May. What about you.

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 am

Next week (if the pup is ready to come home) I will be getting my new Shorthair and plan to run her through the NAVHDA NA test in the spring then keep working her until I finishe her, this will be my first ever NAVHDA dog and am making it a project for me and my son (7) to do this whith the plans of my son taking a liking to the training so we can enjoy this for years to come.

OH Yeah, I hunt my dogs.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:48 pm

I run in the gulf coast region most of the time but this trial schedule we all got together and have them on opposing weekends. If money is good I will probably hit a few in your region. I run everyone in ours.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Come on up. We'd love to have you. There's some good competition up here. There is a possibility I may go to one or two in Gulf coast with another guy. Quick question about the judging down there. In that trial I ran out in Ennis, this fall they had some judges from the Gulf Coast. They would not keep up with the dogs. I had one hanging back and talking to me the whole time before I finally turned to him and had to ask him to keep up with my dog since she was the one being judged and not me. This happened three times out of 4 runs I had that weekend. Is that standard for how the judges operate in the gulf coast region, or was my experience unique to these guys?

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:56 pm

AKC Gun Dog/ AF horseback shooting dogs
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:18 pm

navhda for me as well

gunner

Post by gunner » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Traditional pointing dog field trials.

Amateur Field Trial Clubs of America
aftca.org

Amecian Field / Field Dog Stud Book
americanfield.com

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:59 pm

romeo212000 wrote:Come on up. We'd love to have you. There's some good competition up here. There is a possibility I may go to one or two in Gulf coast with another guy. Quick question about the judging down there. In that trial I ran out in Ennis, this fall they had some judges from the Gulf Coast. They would not keep up with the dogs. I had one hanging back and talking to me the whole time before I finally turned to him and had to ask him to keep up with my dog since she was the one being judged and not me. This happened three times out of 4 runs I had that weekend. Is that standard for how the judges operate in the gulf coast region, or was my experience unique to these guys?

Sent ya a pm! :lol:

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Hunting will always be the most important thing to me, followed by AKC and American Field trials. Both walking and horseback.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Bought my pup for hunting... have since found AKC trials. Love to do them. I do the walking ones mainly as I don't own a horse, but when one is available I would do horseback. Haven't tried hunt tests yet, but plan to in the US as well as here in Canada. Starting the showing in a couple of weeks. This way, I have something to do with her much of the year, on top of hunting!!!!!