Flight Pen Plans

Cora's Shadow

Flight Pen Plans

Post by Cora's Shadow » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Does anyone have any good plans that they would be willing to share? Instructions and photos would be great. Thanks so much!

gunner

Re: Flight Pen Plans

Post by gunner » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:08 pm

Here's a good place to start. Be sure to go back through all the pages as there are a number of excellent threads on the topic.
http://www.thatquailplace.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:15 pm

here are some pics of my pen
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:26 pm

birddogsunlimited--How do you deal with snow and ice on the netting in winter? Have you had any issues, or do you use the birds up before then? I know last winter, a gamebird farm close to me lost a lot of birds (mostly to escape) when the pens collapsed in an ice storm. And since it appears you live in timbered area like me, have you had any predators try to dig under--or did you bury some wire to prevent that? Denise

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:31 pm

its not bad if you keep it cleared off it did colaps in the last snow storm but i only had 1 bird in there i think i have it figured out how to make it work i just have to wait for the spring to sink some more post and put in a ouple cross beams i have plans for a second pen i want to run phasants only in and then this one is going to be for quail. ill probly drop the netting on it next year and put the quail in the building in the pic. also the netting was free so i cant complain to much
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:03 pm

I dont really have plans per say but I have pictures on my site at www.cekkennels.com/birds.htm . The only things that are missing from the pictures are the tin that I put on the sides all the way around the perimeter on the inside and the 3 strands of hot wire fence strung around the outside. If you have questions can feel free to call me anytime and I would be more than happy to talk with you. Best piece of advice I can give is dont build it to good, make sure it can collapse under extreme snow and ice.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:15 pm

also yes i did burry some wire to keep preditors from diging in the 1 possium that got in managed to seperate the neting from the wire near the shed he got in but couldnt find his way out killed al but 4 of my birds
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab

Boscoboo

Post by Boscoboo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm

I don't have photos, but I have 2 pens. One is 20'x40' the other is 25'x80'. I found a nursery closing down & purchased hoop house type nursery buildings from them. I the put the parimeter posts in then attached 4'x8' wolmanised plywood arounf the sides, then stapled 1 inch wire mesh outside the plywood with about a foot down in the ground. I then put 1 inch mesh over the top & it works great. With the hoops it has held up to 12" plus snows, you just go inside & bounce the snow off with a push broom. I only use the pens for quail, pigeons & some ducks.
Large Munsterlanders & brittanys, Every birds worry

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 pm

Here's a link to the plans I used: http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/plans/fltplan.htm

But I scaled it down a bunch since I mainly keep a small number of quail. I found the PVC easy to work with and it looks pretty good spray painted black with black flight nets. Then instead of building the shed piece, I just put a small rabbit hutch in there for shelter from the sun/wind etc...