Which trials for a newbie?

birdogg42

Which trials for a newbie?

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 pm

I am wanting to get into trials of some sort just dont know what type, I dont have a horse (yet), so walking trials is what i am looking at. I have been to a couple NSTRA trials and that just aint for me. So i guess what i am asking which association would be best suited for a new guy. And what are the requirements for your dog (as far as being broke steady to flush, steady to wing and shot). thank

Mike

aylaschamp

Re: Which trials for a newbie?

Post by aylaschamp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:55 pm

I love NSTRA and have been looking into other venues. What are ya looking for? What is it that turns you off of NSTRA? Answering that might help people direct you to a different venue.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:03 pm

I just think that the fields were too little and my dogs would run too much. I liked the people there. I would just like to try something else.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:13 pm

Thats a bummer. You ought to come down to Oklahoma. We run on some big fields down here.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:15 pm

American Field/AFTCA puppy/derby/shooting dog walking stakes

http://www.aftca.org/

http://www.americanfield.com/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:24 pm

Sharon, how does the dogs in aftca have to be broke? thanks for responding.

mike

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Assuming you have adult dogs, AFTCA, AF, AKC, US Complete all require broke dogs.

NBHA rules state that a broke dog is preferred.
Last edited by slistoe on Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Mike -

In addition to those already mentioned there are a number of AKC trials conducted. The AF, AFTCA, USCSDA, NBHA and ABHA all are very heavily subscribed by pointers with a decent percentage of E.Setters and a few Irish setters competing. There is an offshoot the NGSPA which is a shorthair club run under the AF/AFTCA but they mostly do horseback, I believe.

As has been said...steady to wing and shot is the requirement for all adult dog stakes.

There are some AKC clubs which conduct walking stakes and according to the rules, amateur puppy and amateur derby stakes must be walking. Many AKC clubs, in my area, make a definite effort to have a wrangler at their trials so that even folks without horses can handle from horseback. The north central part of th country also has a good number of clubs which sponsor cover dog trials which are walking trials run in the woods on grouse and occasionally woodcock.

Where are you located? That can help determine what is available.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 pm

birdogg42 wrote:Sharon, how does the dogs in aftca have to be broke? thanks for responding.

mike
Adult stakes require a dog to be completely broke . Derby stakes do not require a dog to be completely broke but your dog is unlikely to place in a derby stake if it isn't broke. This is not to say that you never see a dog break in an adult stake. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:38 am

My dog has run in three horseback trials and I do not have a horse. I got a wrangler horse and just gave it a go. Dive right in. I found folks to be very helpful and welcoming to me and some other newbies.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am

Mike-
You can give Andy a call, he would be able to tell you what the AFTCA stakes require. He probably wouldnt mind if you wanted to tag along to a couple with him spring.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Mike -

Where are you located? That can help determine what is available.

RayG
I live between Cape Girardeau and Sikeston MO. Thanks for all the replys. I will more than likely just go watch a few trials and see what it is all about. It seems like all the trials you guys/gals have mentioned, your dogs have to be steady to wing and shot. Which my dogs are not. Just plain ol hunting dogs. So i will have some work to do. but like I said. Thanks for all the replys.

Mike

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Most every trial format (outside of NSTRA) has the dogs demonstrate their trainability by having full manners on birds and around bracemates. Most of the trial formats also put a premium on maintenance of style throughout the performance, increasing the degree of trainability the dogs must display.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 am

UFTA was where I got my start. Its not for everybody as its a tournament type of hunt (similiar to Bird Dog Challenge).
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:09 am

slistoe wrote:Most every trial format (outside of NSTRA) has the dogs demonstrate their trainability by having full manners on birds and around bracemates. Most of the trial formats also put a premium on maintenance of style throughout the performance, increasing the degree of trainability the dogs must display.
Well since a dog is scored on his style and manner on birds, and since a dog is scored on whether he backs, and on the quality of his back I am not sure how dogs do not have to demonstrate their manners in NSTRA trials. Though I will concede steady tow ing and shot is not a requirement in NSTRA.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:28 pm

topher40 wrote:Mike-
You can give Andy a call, he would be able to tell you what the AFTCA stakes require. He probably wouldnt mind if you wanted to tag along to a couple with him spring.
Thanks Chris, I have spoke to him a few times this week.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am

romeo you need to read better. Nowhere did I say that NSTRA dogs have no manners. The point I made was regarding trainability - and that full manners (including steady to wing and shot for those that require all the extra verbiage) is a major means that it is demonstrated. Further to that is that dogs who lose style in the process of such training are so severely penalized that they will not win. I felt it was germane to the thread topic to point out that NSTRA did not have as stringent a requirement in this area (demonstration of trainability by virtue of a full manners requirement and an emphasis on maintaining style to the point of it becoming essentially a disqualification).