Micro Chip Identification

grousemeister

Micro Chip Identification

Post by grousemeister » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi there,

I am looking for someone that might be able to give some advice on micro-chipping my new pup. It should be an easy decision but I have a few requirements that I need to consider.

Here they are..

1) The Pup is A GSP and is AKC registered. It has no tatoo or existing Microchip

2) I want to register the pup with the CKC ( Canadian Kennel Club)

3) CKC will register an American born dog as long as you provide proof of the AKC registration and that the dog is identified by unique markings ( ie a tatoo or micochip)

4) CKC requires that all microchips be of the ISO standard and has a limited list of suppliers.
http://www.ckc.ca/en/Portals/0/pdf/NCAC ... -04-23.pdf

5) I intend to Hunt and possibly trial the dog in the US .

So my question is this. If I get a CKC approved microchip, and the dog gets lost, will most shelters or vets office be able to read the data of the chip and be able to contact me for return of the dog ? Or wil the incompatiblity of the readers and chips be a problem.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

GM

MOOSE

Re: Micro Chip Identification

Post by MOOSE » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:45 pm

This may not mean a whole lot but I have never heard of any of those companies on that list.

I know two of the big ones here in are area are

HomeAgain

Avid

But I know our vets reader is a universal one. But I don't know what that means exactly. I would ask your vet about the readers and see what they have to say. Or I can give you my vets phone number and he knows a lot about the readers and all the different microchips and I am sure would be willing to help you out with answering some questions.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:16 pm

You may have to double chip

get an euro style AVID chip which their scanners can read then once across the border have a vet their verify the avid chip then put in a CKC approved chip

I do know that the AVID universal scanner can read the canadian chips
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

grousemeister

Post by grousemeister » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:45 pm

K9, Moose

Thanks for your response. I thought about double chipping and that might still be an option. I was first just going to put in an AVID chip and that would meet my US travel requirements, however it was not going to be recognized by the CKC.

As far as I can tell is there is two main frequencies that chips operate at 125khz for the Non ISO and 134Khz for the ISO chips. It seems that he real issue is whether there are enough scanners that can read both forward and backwards for the different frequencies.

Wonder if it would be worth putting something like MC 134khz on the ID tags on the collar. To someone looking at the id tags they would know what type of scanner to use. However, if they are reading this from the id tags, they could just as easy call the phone number that would also be on the tag. Sorry about that just thinking as I type.....

The other option I have is to get her a tatoo, and get a US Microchip.

GM

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:56 pm

grousemeister wrote: Wonder if it would be worth putting something like MC 134khz on the ID tags on the collar. To someone looking at the id tags they would know what type of scanner to use. However, if they are reading this from the id tags, they could just as easy call the phone number that would also be on the tag. Sorry about that just thinking as I type.....

The other option I have is to get her a tatoo, and get a US Microchip.

GM
I have wondered if anyone ever tattoos the microchip info on the dog. Just to point out to anyone who would find it that it is chipped and its owner/home can be found that way.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:03 pm

I would get the US microchip and tattoo the dog. That is what I do with my dogs. The tattoo can also have a plus to it. It can deter someone from stealing your dog because it is visible. I tattoo on the inside of a hind leg. You can use your dog's AKC number.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:34 pm

We use AVID.. Only had a "freak" problem once. My Lab had his microchip migrate from between his shoulders to almost his elbow joint on his left front leg. When they would go to scan the general area they usually scan, it would not pick it up..
Our vet contacted Avid, and they paid for another microchip to be put in at no cost and registered both chips to him.
So, I am pleased with them nonetheless.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:06 am

chips migrating is a little more common then people know...I have found quite a few in the chest and elbow areas

ironic part this one pup i was waiting for my new shipment of chips to come in the guy to his to the vet the vet told him that unless a vet dies it the chips will migrate...guess where i found his chip.....in the elbow area...told him to take the dog back and show him....one dog his chip migrated to the center of his belly

that is why in the scanning instructions they do tell you to start at the back and circle the shoulders down each leg then down the chest inside the back legs to make fully sure a dog does not have a chip
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 am

Wow I had no idea about the migrating thing. Is that dangerous? I mean it's still just under the skin, right? Can't migrate to an area where it can cause serious problems?

Vom Britt

Post by Vom Britt » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:47 am

Grousemeister,

I have one experience with a CKC pup I purchased from Sascatchawan which was chipped. Once I received him here in WI. we had him examined and I requested a scan which they could not pick up. Hope this helps.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:33 pm

I have never heard of any thing dangerous happening from the migrating chip as it stays just under the skin

rhines

Post by rhines » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm

I personally would not microchip my dog at this point in time. I work with RFID chips in a highly FDA regulated field and we are currently not allowed to use RFID technology around any biological products, such as vaccines, which are chemically synthesized products that are derived from living sources such as humans, animals, and microorganisms.
Applying this to living things - such as dogs - 8 out of 11 studies found evidence for a link, as malignant tumors (often sarcomas, which affect connective tissue) developed near the area of the chip in many of the animals. Albrecht concluded that the three studies that did not find this evidence were "deeply flawed" as they failed to either test a large enough population of animals or for a long enough period of time (source: http://www.antichips.com/cancer/albrech ... nopsis.pdf)

Just go with the tatoo at this point if you must.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:51 pm

The antichip article I just read seem to be lacking in a lot of infomation such as the numbers of the control group. Also I don't know the normal percentages but I don't think they were listed, maybe I missed them. The group with the 10.2% only had 177 mice in it. Two other groups having 2,000 and 4,279 mice in it both had around 1% develope cancer.

Which one do you believe? Well my money would have to go with the larger groups. Those numbers seem fairly low.

Gary

grousemeister

Post by grousemeister » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:15 pm

Vom Britt wrote:Grousemeister,

I have one experience with a CKC pup I purchased from Sascatchawan which was chipped. Once I received him here in WI. we had him examined and I requested a scan which they could not pick up. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your input-- that's exactly my concern. If I get her chipped for CKC purposes and she gets lost then a shelter or a vets office picks her up and they do not have the right scanner they may not even know she is chipped.

I'm going to call the CKC on Monday and see what they have to say about it. Will post an update when I know more.

GM

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:02 pm

with my AVID universal scanner i have been able to pick up canadian chips and a chip from a dog that came from europe

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:24 pm

I would go with a tattoo. It can be read universally. If it is a good tattoo it will be easily read for the dog's whole life.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

rhines

Post by rhines » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:13 am

dirtdober wrote:The antichip article I just read seem to be lacking in a lot of infomation such as the numbers of the control group. Also I don't know the normal percentages but I don't think they were listed, maybe I missed them. The group with the 10.2% only had 177 mice in it. Two other groups having 2,000 and 4,279 mice in it both had around 1% develope cancer.

Which one do you believe? Well my money would have to go with the larger groups. Those numbers seem fairly low.

Gary
I agree the numbers are very low. There are also skeptics that state that the test animals that developed cancer could have been prone to it to begin with. The FDA believes that RF can breakdown protien compounds in vaccines and have other adverse effects to living microorganisms (I am not a microbiologist, so I don't know all the details) - I am guessing that this could possibly affect a dog's immune system.
But since there is a choice for permanent ID - tattoo OR chip - I personally wouldn't take the chance, however small, of chipping a dog until further detailed studies are done. Plus it just seems weird having something floating just under your skin, but maybe that's just me.

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:48 pm

Does the vet do the tattoo or do you take 'em to the local tattoo parlor?

Gary

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:20 pm

dirtdober wrote:Does the vet do the tattoo or do you take 'em to the local tattoo parlor?

Gary
I tattoo them myself. And NO I am not a tattoo artist nor do I have any tattoos on myself.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 pm

I tattoo them myself. And NO I am not a tattoo artist nor do I have any tattoos on myself.
A homemade job? Does that mean you tattoo L O V E and H A T E on thier knuckles?

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:56 am

Grousemeister- Have you thought about putting your question to the chip manufacturers. I would bet Avid could help you with figuring out what is "standard" and what options might be available to you. You should also outline what you must have in a chip, and what your needs are, such as where does your dog spend most of his time, trials in US or Canada, or both.
I would think contacting the CKC should help to answer your questions, and the AKC should do the same. Good Luck
Bill L.

Vom Britt

Post by Vom Britt » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:16 am

Pam,

What information do you tatoo on your dogs and is that information in a data base to help you get your dog back if it is lost or stolen?

Bob

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Many reputable breeders use markings to identify each pup from a litter, my dogs are marked on the insides of their right ears. Love & Hate on the knuckles is a somewhat ridiculous statement! The breeder might use a series of numbers which mean something to him/her to distinguish or track the litter. You could have the dogs AKC number, birthdate, your phone number, etc. I believe many breeders do it themselves, but I am no expert.
Bill L.

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:28 am

I don't know if it is still this way or not; But years ago you registered your tatto as a brand, that way no one could use the same combination of lettersand numbers as you did; and yes they sold tatto kits for do it yourselfers. They mostly tattoed the ears, although a few done the inside of the lip. :roll:

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Bill, actually "love and hate on the knuckles" is a reference to prison tattoos which are usually of the homemade variaty. lol.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:51 am

The kit comes from National Dog Registry and they also register the tattoo.
http://nationaldogregistry.com/

I don't recommend tattooing inside of the ear. Thieves have been known to cut ears off of dogs. You will need some helpers to hold the dog down during the procedure.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:23 pm

Looking on the website I saw the tattooing kit cost $360, seemed kinda steep for one dog. I assume there are vets that will do this?

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:35 pm

If not a veteranian look for someone with race horses as most of them are tattoed.

Mike Clutter

Post by Mike Clutter » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:09 pm

1. To the best of my knowledge, it is common practice at vets and shelters to check any animal that comes in, and has been for some time. And they are aware of the migrating issue.

2.put it on the dogs collar id tag:
reward- avidchip
1212 dumb st.
walla walla, wa. 11345
111-111-0110

3. In addition to the love hate tats don't forget the teardrop by the left eye. Have you ever tried to shave a dogs knuckles? I'd rather help tatoo a Weimy.

4. cherrystone says tattoo!!!!!!!!!! we get it.

5. Take your dog to Sturgis.

6.lighten up folks!!!!!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:12 pm

Mike Clutter wrote:1. To the best of my knowledge, it is common practice at vets and shelters to check any animal that comes in, and has been for some time. And they are aware of the migrating issue.

2.put it on the dogs collar id tag:
reward- avidchip
1212 dumb st.
walla walla, wa. 11345
111-111-0110

3. In addition to the love hate tats don't forget the teardrop by the left eye. Have you ever tried to shave a dogs knuckles? I'd rather help tatoo a Weimy.

4. cherrystone says tattoo!!!!!!!!!! we get it.

5. Take your dog to Sturgis.

6.lighten up folks!!!!!!
tear drop and how about a brittany with a big old harley logo across the chest or maybe flames by the hind end :mrgreen: :lol: