heck NIGHT - Kennel training

Two Bears

heck NIGHT - Kennel training

Post by Two Bears » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:25 am

Well we just finished the 1st heck night with our new GSP !
She screamed for about an hour and a half then slept for 3.5 hours then bellered for the next 4 hours, I hope it gets better soon !
How long does it normaly take to get her used to the inside kennel?

BTW we just brought our new GSP female (solid liver) home last night and she is wonderful, a little wild but thats ok. She seems very inqusitive of everything and goes right for what ever she wants to check out. She seems very stylish and holds her tail up very high all the time.

I'll post pictures of her when I can get them uploaded.
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

whitetailhunter

Re: heck NIGHT - Kennel training

Post by whitetailhunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 am

Congrats on the new GSP. I had a little of the same problem with my setter being crate trained. But not as severe I covered the crate at night and that seemed to do the trick for me. Good luck

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:44 am

I put the crate next to my bed at first so they shut up I would rather smell them than hear them when I'm trying to get some sleep.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:48 am

Yes, definitely make sure the kennel is next to the bed. When she whimpers, put your hand in there to let her know you are there.

If I remember correctly it took a couple weeks for ours not to cry at night in the kennel.

Hang in there!

Two Bears

Post by Two Bears » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:55 am

whitetailhunter wrote:Congrats on the new GSP. I had a little of the same problem with my setter being crate trained. But not as severe I covered the crate at night and that seemed to do the trick for me. Good luck

Do you cover the whole crate, door and all?
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:15 am

I cover it alland then if the pup is still noisy it gets moved to the basement, garage, or out in the kennel whare I can't hear it. That may sound cold hearted but I am not going to acknowledge the pup while it is crying to get out anyway. Our last puppy spent the night in the crate in the basement and I never heard anything out of him and he was stll dry in the morning when I went to get him so I don't think he ever made a sound. I do try to get them out after about three hours normally but also wait till they are quiet before I do. Normally a night or two will be the worse and by then they do little fussing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 pm

i just picked up my new pup last sunday and the first night he just wimpered for 20 min i put my fingers in his crate and he was quiet after that i have to let him out at about 2 am. and he goes back to bed

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:07 pm

My girl is 12 weeks now and the same technique as above worked for me ( crate next to the bed). I had her crate next to the bed and when she would cry I would put my hand inside and she would lay back down and go to sleep. I have a crate where I can take the top off so it made it easy to calm her. The other thing is if she wouldn't jsut go back to sleep I would take her out to go potty. So she learned that the only hting she gets when she cries is either my hand or the bathroom. It only took a few days before she only cried when she had to go out. After she got to that point I moved her crate away from the bed. Now she sleeps from 9pm till about 5am. Good luck they grow up fast, try to enjoy it.

rosiesdad

Post by rosiesdad » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:37 pm

Get a sock, fill it 3/4 full of uncooked rice. Heat it in the microwave. (careful it gets hot) but it stays warm for a long time. Pups like to snuggle with littermates, the warm sock seems to help. Ive heard a plastic coke bottle full of water in the sock works too. But rice is reusable, and works well.
Only two seasons, bird season and getting ready for bird season

whitetailhunter

Post by whitetailhunter » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:33 pm

Yes I covered the whole crate. I would put him in there cover him up and turn a radio on just enough for him to hear it. And every few hours take him out side. it only took about a week if that for him to stay in the crate uncovered without barking. Now I in now way clam to be an expert this is just what worked for me. If you have the room to put him next to your bed that may not be a bad Idea. I just didn't want him to get used to me checking on him ever time he made a noise.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:39 am

ezzy333 wrote:I cover it alland then if the pup is still noisy it gets moved to the basement, garage, or out in the kennel whare I can't hear it. That may sound cold hearted but I am not going to acknowledge the pup while it is crying to get out anyway. Our last puppy spent the night in the crate in the basement and I never heard anything out of him and he was stll dry in the morning when I went to get him so I don't think he ever made a sound. I do try to get them out after about three hours normally but also wait till they are quiet before I do. Normally a night or two will be the worse and by then they do little fussing.

Ezzy
I like Ezzy's approach. Ok so I haven't gone as far as move a dog to the basement or outside but definately in another room. Covering kennel helps a bunch. I turn the radio on, but in my room loud enough that I can't hear pup. IMO the idea of crate training is to teach independence and limit possible seperation anxiety problems down the road. As well as being a major helper in house-training. The crate becomes their home, or safe place after they give in to it and except the limitations or constriction of it. Just my opinion but I'd think this would take much longer if you coddle the pup through the process. Sure let them out for a middle of the night potty break but only if they are quiet and still. If they are being noisy and such ignore it, it is the learning process.

I read somewhere recently not to leave them in the crate for more than 1 hours for every month old plus one hour. Sounds good. But I'm still not letting them out untill they are quiet and still. No I don't mind getting up and letting them out in the middle of the night, but it's going to be on my terms. The worst is over after the first few nights.

Congrats on the GSP pup, Show us pictures !!!!