Conformation people?

EddieF

Conformation people?

Post by EddieF » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:12 pm

Winnie will be six months old in about a week. So tomorrow I've decided to show her in a UKC Puppy Novice show just for fun. I've never done anything like that before, but recently at the last couple obedience classes we've gone to, we've stayed for an additional conformation class. So I'm still new at getting her stacked and stuff, but she's picking it up pretty quickly. And I'm told the UKC shows are pretty laid back, especially the puppy novice group, so hopefully we won't make a fool of ourselves!

It's going to be a LONG day, so I've decided to also take advantage of the Canine Good Citizen certification they are having there, and we're going to give that test a try too.

I'll report back! (unless I do something really embarrassing!)

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Conformation people?

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Good luck Eddie and Winnie! I'm sure you'll do fine. Denise

edondero

Post by edondero » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:10 pm

who doesn't love winnie enough to give her a big blue ribbon?!

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:25 pm

edondero wrote:who doesn't love winnie enough to give her a big blue ribbon?!
Only crazy people!! :D

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:13 pm

Best of luck to you and Winnie! I don't know much about the conformation standards of Vizlas, but I agree- only crazy people wouldn't give her a blue just for that face! Let us know how it goes. :D

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:35 pm

I do know that the two judges she'll see tomorrow HAVE judged wirehaired vizslas before, so at least they know what one's supposed to look like! She should get lots of attention regardless... :)

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:04 pm

I am excited to hear how you do. Good luck. I have been following your post on the UKC board. Just relax and have fun with your dog. That is what is most important! And even if you think you embaress yourself tell us about it anyway. It is always good to laugh at one self. I am pretty new to showing as well but have had a good laugh or two at my own expense!
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:14 pm

Thanks! And trust me, I can laugh at myself, luckily! You might enjoy this, the story of the only other time I participated in a dog show. I'm hoping tomorrow goes a little better!

http://hwvwinnie.blogspot.com/2008/12/showtime.html

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:41 am

What a long day! But Winnie was awesome! She handled the show environment like a champ, literally. Relaxed in her crate, poised in the ring. Everyone remarked she was a good mover. We need to practice stacking and stuff, and I need to work on relaxing more. But she was the only Wirehaired Vizsla there. However, she did win two group puppy classes that included other dogs. Granted, only one dog in each group, but they were two different dogs.

anyway, she also BREEZED through her CGC test. I'm really proud of that. She's not quite 6 months, and there is a separate program for puppies under a year, but she passed the regular CGC test for adult dogs.

I'm really proud of her, and she got SO much attention. Whenever we walked past everyone to get to the ring or whatever, I heard people talking about her. She was also great at ignoring other dogs as we walked, by the way, I wasn't sure how she'd handle THAT much dog traffic. And the two judges both spoke very, very highly of her.

I've got more pictures from yesterday I need to go through, and I had one official photo taken of her first win over another dog. But wanted to post something this morning...

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 am

Congrats on your weekend!! Sounds like Winnie is coming along wonderfully, good job Winnie!!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 am

Sounds like it's time for a dedicated wall for trophies and ribbons. Congrats.

Loved your obedience show story on your blog. :lol: :lol: :lol: Denise

gsdgspgirlz

Post by gsdgspgirlz » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:02 pm

congrats on a day that sounds like is was all win "winnie" !!! very cool looking dog I might add,cute too. never seen one like her before, but I don't show in conformation, I prefer the running kinds of shows. but maybe someday I will try one.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:39 am

Congratulations!!!!

Are you going to start doing some AKC hunt tests? I was told that the Wirehaired V was being recognized for performance events starting the first of this year.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Congratulations! I'm glad you both had a fun experience. :D

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Great job! I am very glad you had a good time! She is so cute how could you not! :-)
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

kumate

Post by kumate » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Congrats to you and winnie, i just went to a big akc all breed show and agility show this weekend, The akc sure likes there dogs fat. I observed a cgc test wasnt aware of a seperate cgc test for pups and adults. anyway congrats she sure is a cutie

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:18 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Congratulations!!!!

Are you going to start doing some AKC hunt tests? I was told that the Wirehaired V was being recognized for performance events starting the first of this year.
Correct on those performance events like obedience, etc. Not sure about hunt tests yet, I think the first step would be the UKC natural ablity test, that seems like the first baby step. But honestly, I feel like this dog will do whatever I ask her to do. I just have to put in the time.

Thanks, everyone, for the very nice comments!

Ed.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:21 pm

kumate wrote:Congrats to you and winnie, i just went to a big akc all breed show and agility show this weekend, The akc sure likes there dogs fat. I observed a cgc test wasnt aware of a seperate cgc test for pups and adults. anyway congrats she sure is a cutie
It's not called CGC, the puppy version, I think it's S.T.A.R. or something. Anyway, she wasn't eligible for the puppy one because you have to have confirmed six classes taken from an approved evaluator or something. So we just did the regular CGC test.

I'm used to seeing fat dogs at the vet and out on the street. But I was surprised to see show dogs who I would consider overweight at this show. Not a lot of them, but some.