Pics of our Francolin hunting trip in Hawaii

ShoGunGSP09

Re: Pics of our Francolin hunting trip in Hawaii

Post by ShoGunGSP09 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:08 pm

WOW looks like a great tip and I'm sure that you had fun. I would love to do that some day! Great Pics
Deer hunting rules "If its Brown its Down"
GSP rules "Take The Time It Takes So It Takes Less Time"

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:33 am

70 degrees in January? That kind of makes our -20 seem cold! 8) Looks like I have been wasting my time sitting on the beach when I could have been bird hunting while in Hawaii!

Rut

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 am

Shawn,
Sure looks like a great place to be able to hunt!
Dіck

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

For some reason I am thinking those pictures do not do it justice

To bad getting personal dogs over is a huge ordeal

Never had a desire to go to hawii as i am not into tourist traps but now that would be a reason to go :mrgreen: ....any other hunting there also or is the strictly birds
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:50 am

Next time I am over there I will gladly help curb the resident herd of Axis deer for you! 8)

Rut

Flush

Post by Flush » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:35 pm

Looks like a great time.

Can you give us some more details on the francolin hunting.
It appears they like the more open country? Is the type of country you found them on pretty widespread? (I've never been to Hawaii)

Are they in singles and pairs, and not covies? About 50% bigger than a quail would be about the size of a Hun, is that about right?

I see you mention they will run, but it also appears they will sit for a point too. Are they pretty spooky birds like late season sharptail, or do they tend to hold for a dogs approach?

Is basically all the land the bird are found on private? Do crops play a role or is it all native grass type stuff?
It appears to be somewhat similar to sharptail hunting, but maybe I'm way off?

I know lots of questions, I am just really interested. Your pictures were quite different than what I was expecting. It looks like a whole lot of fun.

very jealous!
Flush

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:41 pm

I LOVE axis meat... for me Bow hunting is up there also As for getting axis over a feeder only thing is a client has to be still in a blind for the axis to even come in...Amazes me how many of them don't sit still them get all bent out of shape when they don't come in

I have wanted to get a nice axis with my bow have yet to be able to get one in Texas with my Bow since the ones i want to shoot hang to far out for me.... but i have shot plenty of does with my 6mm ...as I love the meat and they are pretty prolific...

Sounds like a great time....

what does an average hunt cost
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.