Just to give everyone fair warning

nowicki2005

Just to give everyone fair warning

Post by nowicki2005 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:56 pm

This goes out to mostly the brittany owners but it also goes out to the other pointing breeds as we will be running circles around them as well. I think that it is appropriate to give everyone fair warning that they will no longer be competing for first place in field trials. My dog Grady and I are getting ready to begin our careers, starting our roughly 10 year run of dominance. I just thought I would give everyone a heads up. I know that this economy is tough and if you were looking to enter to win, your entry fee might just as well be saved for buying a bad of dog food and some new toys. I would like to say good luck to all. You're going to need it because here we come!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Just to give everyone fair warning

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

All right then. I wish you all the best but also be prepared to to get a whooping. :) I know of some pretty fine dogs in your Region.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:14 am

HEHE!!! LOVE the tude! The game is a blast, win or lose....but those blue ribbons do make it just a tad bit more fun :-)
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 am

Sharon wrote:All right then. I wish you all the best but also be prepared to to get a whooping. :) I know of some pretty fine dogs in your Region.
two things:
1: You dont know my dog!
2: They might as well just retire!

jkjk

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:27 am

Looking forward to meeting you and Grady at the Western Michigan trial in March :) AND I have three words to say to you...BRING IT ON! (Hahahaha seriously...wishing you lots of success and dreams come true with your boy!) We will be at the trial and if you need anyhitng please don't be shy most of us are there to help the newbies....and please do introduce yourself!

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 am

Yeah I can't wait to get started here in the spring! We've been having a warm spell here in Michigan and all the snow is gone now! My dog hasn't done very much all winter unfortunately.

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 am

You should come down to Kildeer Plains and play at the Buckeye Brittany club trial- March 7 & 8th! That gives you a few weeks to whip your dog into shape! If you don't have a horse there is a wrangler there with horses.

A couple of us will even be doing a grooming demonstration for those trialers who might have dogs entered in the futurities so they can get their young ones spiffed up!

Quite a few of the Michigan brittany people are planning on coming to the trial I hear so come on down and like Helen said- make sure to introduce yourself!

If you need more info or a premium just let me know. Kristi & the rest of the Crew

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:41 am

Get a REAL dog! Get a Setter! :lol:
big steve

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 am

Yes we should all have the same breed, the exact same bloodlines, use the same trainer, buy the same kind of truck, trailer, horse and equipment and play the games the exact same way.....YAWN..... :roll: Kristi

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:09 am

hehe Kristi! Steve obviously missed my "sandbox" post in the brag section. What breed of dog is that IN FRONT of the English Setter??

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 79&t=17011

Looking forward to seeing MANY brags on Grady this season and for those 10 years to come!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:41 am

LOL! Little ol stubby-tail sandwiched in between the longtails!

I never get the whole "my breed is better than your breed" discussions. I could probably live with any breed of pointing dog and manage to enjoy the dog and what it does in the field. At any given time walking through Jesses kennel there are setters of all varieties, shorthairs, brits and pointers....Watch them work and they are all bird dogs. He had some killer English Setter derbies last year- we're all glad they all got their juvie pts and aren't running this spring. Course we also have a Brit who whipped all their butts a few years ago in a big horseback derby stake. On any given day as they say.....I like watching a nice bird dog- no matter what shape or size it is or how much hair it has or doesn't have.

What stakes are you planning for Grady by the way? We don't have any Brit juvies this year other than for futurities and maybe one tune up derby stake beforehand but I want to make sure I check him out! I've had a couple Kansas Kid bred Brits over the years....Kristi

Flush

Post by Flush » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:08 am

You guys should come out west and rock and roll on the prairies or in the western hills All-age style. You'll see just how exactly there is no difference in breeds. I bet those sub 20.5" inchers will roll right along with the big dogs, or then again maybe they won't. Not a one has yet.

I'm just playing a bit, I completely agree a good bird dog is a good bird dog and they come in all breeds. The reality is though there ARE differences in breeds and in some circumstances those differences matter.

-Flush

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:17 pm

I apologize to Gradys owner for this thread being sabotaged like this by the pointer/setter guys.

I enjoyed your post and your challenge! And again hope to meet you and Grady at a trial this spring. We'll be at Ionia at some point- not sure which trial yet but we usually make it up there at least one weekend. Kristi

Flush

Post by Flush » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:01 pm

LOL
Ya sorry, I guess we can get back the serious business at hand of this post.
Good Luck to Grady, I'll be looking forward to hearing of his dominance in the future.

I'll also be looking forward to the other big talking Britt owners winning some AF CH All age stakes.
A

-Flush

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:12 pm

Nowiki: You sure got some tomatoes, I like it. Hope you enjoy your learning curve. You should be in for some fun. Good luck. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Nowicki -

I see that there are dozens of field trialers out there just a shakin' in their boots!!ROTFLMAO!

Seriously, I wish you all the luck in the world nad hope you have an absolute blast.

RayG

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:22 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Nowicki -

I see that there are dozens of field trialers out there just a shakin' in their boots!!ROTFLMAO!

Seriously, I wish you all the luck in the world nad hope you have an absolute blast.

RayG
I thought I would just give everyone notice out of respect.

Also, because none of you will be getting those pretty 1st place blue ribbons, I will be auctioning them off on ebay. I figure I just wont have enough room to keep all of them.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:05 pm

nowicki -

If you do indeed get into trialing, I have absolutely no doubt you will come to understand the concept of humility and you will also understand why most older trialers do not brag on their dogs until after they are dead.

As has been said many times...it ain't braggin' if you can do it, so get out there and git 'er done. However a thought from the late Bobbie Burns comes to mind, I will paraphrase...

Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip....

I guess it is a good thing that you are waaay out there in Michigan. The poor folks on the east and west coasts and those down in the southwest are pretty safe for at least this year. :lol: :lol:

As far as what to do with all those ribbons, I have a suggestion. A friend of mine by the name of Richard Quackenbush made a decoration in the form of a flower with the centers of his rosettes. It adorned one wall in the anteroom of his boarding kennel and it reached from floor to ceiling. Of course these were AF/AFTCA stakes ribbons so there were only three colors, and it was an accumulation from about forty years of trialing. You might just have to get a little more inventive with the four color ribbon scheme in AKC. Another friend of mine, Pam Peet, who recently passed away, had a wall of the great room in her house adorned, essentially floor to ceiling with blue ribons that she had accumulated over fifty some odd years of field trialing first with shorthairs and later with setters. The wall was pretty full.

I just wanted to help you out a little with your anticipated ribbon dilemma.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:35 pm

Wow.. your dog has got to really lay it down to catch up with all the BS talk. :lol:

Good luck.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Jetto wrote
never get the whole "my breed is better than your breed" discussions. I could probably live with any breed of pointing dog and manage to enjoy the dog and what it does in the field. At any given time walking through Jesses kennel there are setters of all varieties, shorthairs, brits and pointers....Watch them work and they are all bird dogs
That's what attracts and Addicts us all,Watching them pointing dogs work!
Dog On Point!!

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 pm

So are we going to see you in the woods up in Gladwin this spring? :) You can follow in the footsteps of Wanbli and some of Chuck Langstaff's britts. :)
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:26 pm

nowicki, I am not a trialer nor am I a Britt guy, matter of fact I have pointers and a setter. All I do is hunt but if you ever make it to western Oklahoma where I live stop in and I would love to buy you a beer for having the cojones to speak up and issue a proclomation and challenge like that. I tip my hat to you sir and I think you and I would get along well. I like your style. :D

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:45 pm

Nowicki - absolutely LOVE your sense of adventure! ( and those tomatos BTW....hehehehe) COME TO BUCKEYE!!! Run your pup and get some practice in befreo you take on yru home club competition....

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:58 pm

I dunno, if we all used the same trainer. I would be rich and have a pretty fun.... but very busy.... life.

I wouldn't mind if everyone drove a Chevy either! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:56 am

GsPJustin wrote:I wouldn't mind if everyone drove a Chevy either!
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit... :(
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:17 am

I wouldn't expect too much if I was you, after all, you are talking about brittanys! :lol:
big steve

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:51 am

Big Steve -

Now you went and done it! :lol: :D :lol:

I will say this...I know a couple of Brittany trialers out my way whom I am quite sure ain't gonna just roll over and play dead, and they have dogs that can play with anybody. I am sure the folks in and arond Michigan will give this gentleman a very warm welcome.

RayG

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:01 am

Ray, I wonder if they know I'm kidding? I may want to visit Michigan sometime. :lol:
big steve

Streenie79

Post by Streenie79 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:38 am

Hey Nowicki2005.....

Good for you! You're just displaying that sought after and intense prey drive demanded of the world you're about to enter and if your pup has a good dose of it too, you should make quite the team! Best of luck to you and your little Britt, and keep us updated!

Streenie79

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:04 am

I think its great that you have confidence in your dog. Plus its obvious he is just having a good time. Ya gotta believe in your dog, if not why even show up? :D

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:13 am

RayGubernat wrote:A friend of mine by the name of Richard Quackenbush
Ray,,, did you make that up or do you really have a friend named Quackenbush?

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:34 am

Did you recently find that old bottle of whiskey you had been hiding ?

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:08 pm

Nowicki.... love the attitude. I just got into the trials last year (I live north of the great border...). Everyone has the best dog..., etc.. However, humility is a good thing. First derby stake I ever handled my pup in was a nightmare. I drove 7.5 hours, and it all blew up. Luckily, she took a 3rd in the amateur that afternoon. You'll get flack from the long tail owners, but they have some decent mediocre dogs (oh enough.. I'm kidding and you all know it!!! :twisted: ). Britts are great, my dog beat the bigger dogs for her derby points as the only britt entered. I hope you clean house, it is an infectious disease... Kikis mom still laughs at how I caught it. Make sure you say hi to the folks there. Helen and Kristi will help you out, and if Andre from Canada is there at the MI trial at the end of March (and he's supposed to go) say hi to him as well. I bought my future HOF dog from him!! :D (Sorry, had to do it!!)

That being said, you're lucky my dog isn't around this spring... HA HA HA!!!!

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:56 pm

MTO4Life wrote:Nowicki.... love the attitude. I just got into the trials last year (I live north of the great border...). Everyone has the best dog..., etc.. However, humility is a good thing. First derby stake I ever handled my pup in was a nightmare. I drove 7.5 hours, and it all blew up. Luckily, she took a 3rd in the amateur that afternoon. You'll get flack from the long tail owners, but they have some decent mediocre dogs (oh enough.. I'm kidding and you all know it!!! :twisted: ). Britts are great, my dog beat the bigger dogs for her derby points as the only britt entered. I hope you clean house, it is an infectious disease... Kikis mom still laughs at how I caught it. Make sure you say hi to the folks there. Helen and Kristi will help you out, and if Andre from Canada is there at the MI trial at the end of March (and he's supposed to go) say hi to him as well. I bought my future HOF dog from him!! :D (Sorry, had to do it!!)

That being said, you're lucky my dog isn't around this spring... HA HA HA!!!!
Andre bought his dog from the same breeder that I bought mine from! :D

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:40 pm

Just hope you don't run in to this guy.His name is "Doc",Walker's Elhew Doc,Remeber it.Oh he's done run by the monkey and bear,he's looking for Birds now!Ha ha. Good luck in the trials.

Dog On Point!!

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:01 am

[quote="BoJack"]Just hope you don't run in to this guy.His name is "Doc",Walker's Elhew Doc,Remeber it.Oh he's done run by the monkey and bear,he's looking for Birds now!Ha ha. Good luck in the trials.

LMAO a pointer???? I thought I was just jokin around when I started this thread but that is hilarious. JK :lol:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:59 am

Great looking pup Bo

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Nowicki -

I know you are just having fun with this and I think you are a hoot. I really do wish you the best of success.

Sooooo, I don't want to start a war, but it is a fact that a fair number of Brittany trials are closed to other breeds, either in fact, or in practice. Brittany trials, I believe, are breed restricted more often than just about any other breed.

I have NEVER, EVER been to an AF/AFTCA trial that is breed restricted in any way. AF/AFTCA takes all comers, as long as they are FDSB registerable. and may the best dog win. AF/ADFTCA sanctioned trials are attended predominantly by pointers with some E.Setters.

There is a reason why Brittany trials are often breed restricted and why AF/AFTCA trials are not. I think you know what the reason is.

Have a wonderful day.

RayG

Flush

Post by Flush » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Get'em Nowicki!

Ray,

You forgot to add that most of these AF sanctioned trials were already up and running when the newer breed restricted stakes got started. It's not like there were no trials out there for the "other" dogs to run in. Many of the existing AF trials already had lots of tradition and prestige, but for obvious reasons, the "others" decided they needed to start their own trials.

It was probably to prevent embarrassing the Pointer and Setter guys wasn't it Nowicki :lol:

-Flush

P.S. In all honestly I don't doubt that some judges, especially a while back, weren't exactly unbiased in the breed department. I'm not so sure how true that is today though.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:10 pm

RayGubernat wrote:Nowicki -

I know you are just having fun with this and I think you are a hoot. I really do wish you the best of success.

Sooooo, I don't want to start a war, but it is a fact that a fair number of Brittany trials are closed to other breeds, either in fact, or in practice. Brittany trials, I believe, are breed restricted more often than just about any other breed.

I have NEVER, EVER been to an AF/AFTCA trial that is breed restricted in any way. AF/AFTCA takes all comers, as long as they are FDSB registerable. and may the best dog win. AF/ADFTCA sanctioned trials are attended predominantly by pointers with some E.Setters.

There is a reason why Brittany trials are often breed restricted and why AF/AFTCA trials are not. I think you know what the reason is.

Have a wonderful day.

RayG
Its quite simple to comprehend why. You don't have nurses doing surgeries that a doctor would do right? The nurses just aren't qualified, aren't as skilled, aren't as educated, dont have the experience etc.... You don't have any and all race car drivers in Nascar. Why? You want to keep an elite group, the best of the best, a small group of drivers that are better than the rest...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Nowicki -

If you say so...it sounds good to me.

Tell me that... and mean it...after two years...and I'll want to see what you got.

Oh and by the way, Nascar driving might not be an example of excellence that I would cite. LeMans maybe...but not Nascar. I suppose it is the circles you run in. :lol: :lol:

Flush -

I have absolutely no problem with breed restricted stakes. There are lots of ways to have fun with your dogs and that is what it should be. Fun.

I'll tell you what though... last weekend a young lady showed up with her Brit at an AF sanctioned stake and had her dog entered in the Open Shooting dog stake. The dog took second in a mixed field, pointers, setters both red and English and two Britts. I was braced with the other Brittany and it was a nice dog. That was very cool.

That is also putting your money where you mouth is, walking the walk, and I respect that.

RayG

schmidty_dog

Bo

Post by schmidty_dog » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:00 am

Man, that green carpet is quite a background for that lil pointer! 70's Flashback!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:04 am

Yea can't wait to get him on the real green carpet this Spring and then the brown carpet of the grouse woods this Fall.
aah the 70's,did my finest quail hunting then,but they're all gone around here now.Still have flashbacks to the good ole days.Our only native bird now is grouse.One of these days I'm going to make it to one of the Sates that still have native quail.
Dog On Point!!

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:50 am

Well its been over a year since I made this original post and I just first entered my first trial. I entered an open derby stake and placed and so, it begins! Watch out brittany world!!!! :D

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:21 am

WAY TO GO.That makes it sound like you may have something going for you.

Congrats!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:33 am

This is a very bad thing for me to be getting into, the whole field trial thing. I was told it was addicting and that it becomes your life. I'm much too young to have my life devoted to dogs and field trialing BUT I hadn't planned on entering another field trial till mid may and calling that good till the fall, well....I'm entered in another one this coming weekend :lol:

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm much too young to have my life devoted to dogs and field trialing
Eh Hem......what exactly does age have to do with things? LOL CONGRATS on your placement :) Where are you going to be next weekend then?

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Kiki's Mom wrote:
I'm much too young to have my life devoted to dogs and field trialing
eh Hem......waht exactly does age have to do with things? LOL CONGRATS on your placement :) Where are you going to e next weekend then?
I live right next to Ionia in Michigan (like less than 15 min) so there is a trial pretty much every weekend I can do there.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:35 pm

Excellent!!! Was sort of hoping we'd see you at the Niagara trial in PA but you will having fun in Michigan instead. Best of luck next weekend...looking forward to hearing about another ribbon garnered!!!