Kennel Silencer

wfkgsps

Kennel Silencer

Post by wfkgsps » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Do any of you have any experience, good or bad, with an ultrasonic kennel silencer like this?
http://www.gundogsonline.com/ProdDtl.asp?iProdID=10886

Thanks

Razor

Re: Kennel Silencer

Post by Razor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Mine worked for about a week. They ignore the stupid thing now. Waste of money in my opinion.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:08 am

I agree, waste of money. The best silencer we have found is the bark activated water spraying type. Shuts 'em up.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:26 am

Where can I get a bark activated water spraying silencer? That does sound effective as long as the air temp is high enough to keep it from freezing up.

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:06 am

Ill second the water system. Makes them hit the back of the dog house pretty fast. They seem to not want to bark while water is coming down or in their house.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:23 am

http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Kennel- ... encer.html

We turn it off in cold weather, but it works great all summer.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:27 am

Ross,Are you sure they are not just barking until the water comes on, to cool them off in the summer? :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:10 pm

I installed a dusk to dawn light over the kennel, mainly so I could see what they were barking at; then I noticed the barking at night stopped, unless there is something really going on, like a stranger or strange dog around, then I want to know so, I don't mind that.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Rick has the sprinkler system, works good, but restricted to summer months. Obviously does not work so good for Labs :D
brenda

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Is this sprinkler system still around? or another kennel option? I have a dog that is going to drive me looney if I can't get him stopped. He KNOWS what the collars mean and shuts up when I first put them on. I have to leave them on him ALL THE TIME and even so he knows to scratch and shake it sideways so it won't work. :evil: :evil: He has burned up 3 collars and I have finally ordered a TT collar but really he knows how to get around the collars. This dog pushes me to insanity sometimes!

sh0rthair

Post by sh0rthair » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:42 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I have to leave them on him ALL THE TIME and even so he knows to scratch and shake it sideways so it won't work. :evil: :evil:
I broke a dog of this issue recently. I put two units on one collar and when he would get it turned sideways and commence to barking, guess what, the second one was in place and it zapped him. After about a week of this, I went back to one unit on the collar and never had that problem again.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:08 pm

"bark activated water spraying silencer" Now that made me smile. I remember around 1946, my Dad hooking up a hose over the kennel. He had to get off his duff to turn it on. He would have loved one of those "new contraptions". :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Fella i worked with had the sound activated sprinklers, when the sound sensor went bad i dont think he could find a replacement.

That said the water hose and a menacing approach works wonders, but you have to be willing to dash to the kennel when the need arises, least for a week or so. Most dogs pick up being quiet pretty quick......

Mtndogs- charge the kennel stamping your feet and growling "shut it up" or whatever phrase you want to use....spray the dog dead in the face until it submits.....Ive not seen any dogs continue to bark using this approach.

I had one i was thinking about putting down.....this fixed her and at the same time all the wildness and poo stomping ended as well. Some will hollar foul but it saved this dogs life. Now she (avatar pic) loves her new found quiet life and I can take her anywhere and stake her out with no noise.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:21 pm

I had one i was thinking about putting down.....this fixed her and at the same time all the wildness and poo stomping ended as well. Some will hollar foul but it saved this dogs life. Now she (avatar pic) loves her new found quiet life and I can take her anywhere and stake her out with no noise.
I, too have found that when the barking stops, so does the other hyper activity.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:55 pm

He will hush when I yell at him for about 5 minutes. (He will hush for about 5 minutes, when I yell at him, that is) He has had all kinds of water sprayed at him, stomping, collars, etc... And they all work for a few minutes. I have sat out there waiting him out, hidden behind the shed, etc He is barking AT things its just things that are always there. Leaves, shadows, and he is also wild in the kennel. I have 5 dogs all in the same system and eveyone else is normal about barking, only when needed, but he is excessive!

The two units on one collar is a great idea! Wish I had thought of it sooner. I'll be out there and fixing that ASAP. It was working well for a while once I got a collar I could set at a high level that di not stager up to iit but started at that level everytime, but I believe he thinks he has figured out a way around it. Thanks for the idea! :twisted: hehe he is making me sadistic.
Last edited by mountaindogs on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:59 pm

I have one in here now like that..He yipps, which the collar does not seem to work on...Ugh.
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:48 pm

mountaindogs wrote:He will hush when I yell at him for about 5 minutes. (He will hush for about 5 minutes, when I yell at him, that is) He has had all kinds of water sprayed at him, stomping, collars, etc... And they all work for a few minutes. I have sat out there waiting him out, hidden behind the shed, etc He is barking AT things its just things that are always there. Leaves, shadows, and he is also wild in the kennel. I have 5 dogs all in the same system and eveyone else is normal about barking, only when needed, but he is excessive!

The two units on one collar is a great idea! Wish I had thought of it sooner. I'll be out there and fixing that ASAP. It was working well for a while once I got a collar I could set at a high level that di not stager up to iit but started at that level everytime, but I believe he thinks he has figured out a way around it. Thanks for the idea! :twisted: hehe he is making me sadistic.

Too funny,,,,,,,
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett