Ok, NSTRA trial

aylaschamp

Ok, NSTRA trial

Post by aylaschamp » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:23 pm

I was curious if any of you on here were thinking of going or will be there? It's this coming weekend in Bartlesville. It'd be a long hike for me but I'm hoping to make it.

OK quail hunter

Re: Ok, NSTRA trial

Post by OK quail hunter » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:39 pm

I'm not going to be able to make it this weekend but I did get an email from Tarena that said if the trial did not get enough dogs to be a full point trial by Tuesday it was going to be cancelled. If you are planning on going be sure to get entered before you leave thats a long haul just to turn around and come home.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:02 am

I was at the one in Weathorford this weekend. I am planning on entering two dogs. We do need dogs or it will be cancelled. I know we are very close so if you are thinking about entering call Tarena or Rhonda and let them know you will come if it stays open. I am sure they will draw as soon as they have enough dogs. John and Rhonda always put on a good trial.

okie

Post by okie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am

Romeo
Just wondering who were the placements for Sat and Sun?
Thanks
Dave

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 am

On Sunday, that Slowpoke dog of the Garners won it. It wasn't a very impressive day. I think Burrell's Belle dog took third, and Bryan Hankin's Brittney took Second. On Saturday that same Brittney took first, I can't remember who else placed Saturday. My little Pepper dog ran good with three bird runs both days and took fourth on Sunday. Laney ran good too with a three bird run and a two bird run but never sniffed a placement. That's fine though because she is just now 20 months old. She's coming on good. Are you and Speckles going to be in Barttlesville?

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:32 am

Dale and Linda Garner ran here in the Mid-South and Dixie regions before they retired and moved to Texas. They had pokers named Gretta and Moby. Given the righ condtitions both dogs could place. I even remember once when Moby placed first while braced with Copper. We used to kid Lee about "turning Moby loose on him again" if he misbehaved. :lol:

okie

Post by okie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:43 am

Ya we will be there. See ya there.
Dave

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:41 pm

highcotton wrote:Dale and Linda Garner ran here in the Mid-South and Dixie regions before they retired and moved to Texas. They had pokers named Gretta and Moby. Given the righ condtitions both dogs could place. I even remember once when Moby placed first while braced with Copper. We used to kid Lee about "turning Moby loose on him again" if he misbehaved. :lol:
Yeah that Moby Dog still runs every once in a while. I think it is the only Champion dog they have. If there is one thing I can say about his dogs, it is they are trained as well as any dogs out there. They just range a little close for my tastes. But if he goes the right way, his dogs can find the birds. They are the kind of dogs you can never quite count out of a trial.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:51 am

The Moby dog looks to have a decent trial career, http://www.nstra.org/Members/trial.asp?idnum=12267, A first in a region elimination, not to shabby.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Not too shabby at all. They are just a little heavier in the German lines than I like.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah, the Garner's used to run in the Dixie and Mid-South. Nice folks.
Everyone has their preference on what they want in a bird dog. On bad scenting days, a slow do won't pass many birds up. A fast dog can pass birds on terrible scenting days. On the good scenting days, the fast dog will pick up birds quicker. Their dogs were a lot slower than i prefer a bird dog to be. Nothing wrong with it, if that's what you like.

I just like my bird dogs with some sparkle and pop to them. Win or lose, that's the way i like them.
Dale used to say my dog Boss was a wild crazy running dog :D Win or lose, I know what kind of animal he is. That's all that matters to me.

Each to his own.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:19 pm

That's usually when his dogs place. Scenting conditions were tough this weekend. It was dry and dusty at the grounds we were running. Pepper had a nice 3 bird run but she was about the only hard running dog to do it. Everyone else was splitting the field two and two.