SURPRISED TO SEE DC HILLHAVENS HUSTLER NOT IN HOF

briarpatch

SURPRISED TO SEE DC HILLHAVENS HUSTLER NOT IN HOF

Post by briarpatch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:26 pm

I was researching some of the greats and surprised to see DC Hillhaven's Hustler was not in the Hall of Fame. He had a son in there and many of his ancestors but Hustler himself was not actually listed as an HOF dog.

I had read on several websites that he was.. Apparently it was written in a book "The New Complete German Shorthaired Pointer" by Robert McKowen. That he was in the Hall of Fame. But upon reveiwing the HOF website I seen he is not listed. I emailed the GSPCA and asked why and they told me they don't beleive he has ever been nominated. So I done a little research and e-mailed them all the information on the Champs he produced and the DC's . Hopefully they will reconsider this.

I beleive he was the all time highest producer of Dual Champs. 5 in total
and sired 14 Champions if my research is correct..

Just thought some of you Hustler fans may find it interesting
Last edited by briarpatch on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: SURPRISED TO SEE DC HILLHAVENS HUSTLER NOT IN HOF

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:37 pm

Can anyone submit the dog or just the owner?

Chip

larue

Post by larue » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:50 pm

My understanding is that a dog must be submitted to the gspca to get accepted to the hall of fame.
I had the chance to look at a dogs submition that was accepted and it was very well done,in fact it looked to be done
by a professional.
The application was a small book,with all the wins the dog had,along with all of its descendants there wins ect.
I believe for hustler all that needs to be done is for a professionally submitted application to be created and for it to be presented to the gspca for consideration.
So your simple answer is I believe no serious attempt has been made to get him in the hof,I believe he would be a sure thing
if the presentation was done well.
I do not know if he would have to be presented by Dave or Jan hill,or if a third party could submit his application.

zodiakgsps

Post by zodiakgsps » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:12 pm

Bourbon is the all-time top producing dual:
DC Rugerheims Bit O' Bourbon - The all time top producing sire of dual champions in GSP history, he sired 6 duals and 60 CH's.
Not sure how many FC/AFC he sired as well......have to look it up again. He is not in the HOF either.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:27 pm

I was just reading the "Nomination Requirements for GSPCA HALL OF FAME FOR DOGS"
It states "Dogs born January 1. 1975 and after will be considered only if their owner has been a member of the GSP club of America for at least three years"..

So apparently based on what that says the GSPCA doesn't give the Hall of Fame title to the greatest german shorthaired pointers who produce great offspring unless the owners are members..

I hope I am misunderstanding that, as I thought this title was given to ALL the best AKC registered German Shorthaired Pointers sires and dams that produced at least a certain number of champion offspring..I didn't think the owners of the greatest dogs need be a member of anything to get an HOF title..But if I am reading that correctly they do..

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Well it is the German Shorthaired Pointer Club of America's Hall of Fame, why would you not have to be a member to be in their HOF? They are our parent club.
Considering the amount to be a member is like what $35 per year now. Join for three years pay your $105 or whatever it is and get your dog in the HOF.
A small price to pay for a HOF title considering all the other accomplishments one has attained to even consider nomination really.

Chip

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:21 pm

I just thought it was like tthe Baseball hall of fame and the greatest players were nominated..

apparently I misunderstood what A HOF dog was ...it is not one of the greatest dogs in the country that contributed alot to the breed as I was thinking ..

its the greatest members of that particlualr club only that contributed to the breed..

if I am reading that correctly...

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:34 pm

If the B B HOF fame was the greatest players wouldn't Pete Rose be there no matter how much of a screw up he was? Not everything is what it seems to be.The AKC also ranks the top 10 dogs in different AKC venues but again the owners have to be members of the GSPCA.

jbogacki76

Post by jbogacki76 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:39 pm

Good Point.
Can you find the current top 10 dogs anywhere on the web?

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:54 pm

You can see the FT stats here www.gspca.org/NFT/Stats/2008.html

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:16 pm

Please keep in mind , the Baseball Hall of Fame does require that you belong to their club, it's call MLB! There are no players from minor leagues, college, Japan, Dominican, Puerto Rico in the HOF. Can't remember seeing any players from the USFL or Arena Football in the Pro Football Hall of Fame either, so the NFL would be their club of choice. It only makes sense that the parent organization would only accept nominations from within. JMO

Bill L.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Ken Lynch is currently gathering info to get Hustler submitted in HOF.
brenda

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:43 pm

Sorry ya'll are right I just misunderstood as normal :D

I assumed since they were the "parent club" representing GSP's interests with the AKC
that any of the greats in the AKC that made a significant mark on the breed in the AKC would be in the Hall of Fame

but your right that was stupid of me why would the best shorthairs in the country that contributed the most titled dogs to the breed in our country be nominated into the GSPCA hall of fame and I should have looked into it further before posting..

those dogs belong in the GSP Hall of Fame

Or the AKC Hall of Fame

My BAD :oops:

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:56 pm

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been the GSPCA coordinator for the Hall of Fame for about 5 years. No dogs have been given as a member of the HOF that were not submitted to the complete board of directors for a yes or no vote. There has been few rejections in my tenure and I honestly feel that a correct presentation and the rules must be followed to make it fair to all the dogs and people who submit them dogs for membership of the HOF.

Does the general public that owns a dog in a certain breeding know how many really great shorthairs there have been in just the last 30 years. The board of directors is made up of every geographical area of the country as well as the elected officers of the parent organization.

The initial recommendation was for a member to be that for the past 3 years, if that individual no longer competes or shows his shorthairs in either the field or the bench, he only need to have been a member for a 3 year period at the time he was competing.

You need not be the owner to nominate but I feel it would carry greater weight if you were very close to that owner or even a member of his family if that person should be unavaiilable. Any GSPCA member can submity an application though.

There are a good number of dogs that are not in the HOF.

I hope this sheds some light on the process, if I can help with a nomination I will be more than happy to assist.

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:32 am

Jerry,
Thanks for the input, And I just wanted to say publicly my intentions were certainly not to discredit the GSPCA HOF in any way.
I think it is great what you all are doing.
I just misunderstood what exactly a GSPCA HOF dog was.
I appologize for my confusion.

Dennis

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:28 am

An apology is not necessary and the board of directsors can speak for themselves. Was not too long ago that we did Slick at the GSPCA and now he is going into the big one at Grand Junction. There are lots of great ones not in the HOF and maybe this psot will help someone here down the road.

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me