Post by Ayres » Tue May 11, 2004 10:53 pm

Just to find out a little more about each of us, how about answering these:

What do you hunt?
What do you hunt with?
What would you like to hunt with?
How do you use your dog(s)?
Why do you hunt?

As a sample, here's my answers:

I hunt quail mostly. Sometimes rabbit and squirrels, and sometimes deer. Never hunted phesant before, but now that I'm living further north in the State, I'll probably run into more phesant than quail (assuming I get permission to hunt somewhere around here).

I use a Mossberg pump-action 20 ga. that my grandfather got for me as a reward for completing my hunter's education course a long time ago. It's really the only gun I own besides a pellet gun. I don't have any dogs currently, but have hunted over a pair of Britts and a GSP.

I would like to hunt with a Browning Classic Hunter 20 ga. My grandfather has an older Belgium Browning Sweet 16, and I can attest to Browning making a fine line of guns! I'd also like to have my own dog. The want for a dog wins out first, and I'm bringing home my first vizsla pup about mid-June. He turns two weeks old in two days. The new gun will have to wait.

Since I'm a walking hunter (don't own any horses or ATV) I like the dogs to range medium to close. I don't mind if they get a couple hundred yards ahead, so long as I can get to them quickly if they're on point. A lot of times when I've hunted over the Britts, we'd lose sight of one and it'd be sitting on point for a couple minutes. That gives the birds time to move and frustrates the dog, encouraging it to bust the covey faster (and since we can't see it, we didn't give a woah command). [Again, these were borrowed dogs and I didn't train them, so don't give me any flak about a well trained dog never busting a covey.]

I hunt because I enjoy it. I enjoy the outdoors, the sport, the dogs, the company or solitude. A lot of times I can get my dad to go with me too. Since I'm in my mid-20s now and getting married this summer, time spent with my dad is becoming more and more treasured. A day hunting with friends and/or family is well spent even if we never see a bird. However, I also like the game, so it's icing on the cake if we get to bring back a couple for dinner.

Your turn -

Helen

Post by Helen » Wed May 12, 2004 2:03 am

What do you hunt?

I'm not a big hunter as I prefer the dog side of it. When I do go out, it's just for rabbits, crows etc.

What do you hunt with?

I do have a 20 bore that my husband bought me last year.

My dogs aren't robots. They are trained to the standard that I like them to be. I doubt we will ever win a trial but they can find all the grouse on the plots that I count on. That's all I ask of them. That's what I use the pointers and gwp for. We do grouse counts in Spring and Summer.

The spaniels: I like to be a little bit more into me. We go beating with them on a driven pheasant shoot. Next season, it will be once a week on one shoot and every other week on another. The can't range too far otherwise they will put the pheasants up too soon.

Why do you hunt?

That is a big question. I do prefer working the dogs but there is that "thrill" from stalking and shooting something. It's strange but after I've done it, there is a very small amount of sadness of having despatched another living thing. I've always had it and I think if I wasn't around shooting people, I may have given up. The pros all outweigh that though. It's very difficult to understand or explain for that matter.

Helen

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed May 12, 2004 5:46 am

Helen, i was never a big hunter either. I have only shot birds to complete my dog work. When i met my current mate i was exposed to wild bird hunting, we make 2 or 3 trips a yr to hunt them. All I had done was train my dogs for trials and compete. Now we hunt either wild quail in Tx or Sharptail in Montana. I enjoy the traveling and once again the dog work. This is what these dogs were bred for and love to do, it`s in their blood. I shoot birds in trials to compete with my dogs and an occasional wild bird, and there is nothing like watching your dogs work game, esp. in the wild, and retrieve it to hand. Pretty good to eat too. Hunting started as a need for food, now it is a recreation, but for me it`s seeing that dog work a wild covey, pin it and point it. Their reward is the bird in the mouth. (oh, i shoot a 20 ga Benelli Legacy.)
brenda

Wireviz_lady

hunt

Post by Wireviz_lady » Wed May 12, 2004 11:48 am

Bec Winckler-Wisconsin
I hunt with 2 smooth Vizsla and 3 wirehaired Vizsla. I have a Benelli Semi. My husband and daughter both hunt too.
Why do I hunt? I love being outdoors and the taste of game is too good to pass up. We think of it as a family sport. I just love it...how do you describe an obsession??? Kaylie, My daughter, and I were talking a couple of days ago and I think 90% of the joy I have in hunting is watching a good dog work. It is a wonderful thing to see that drive, style, and the happiness they get out of being out in the feild.
Bec
Bec

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Wed May 12, 2004 10:39 pm

My husband and I hunt grouse, pheasant, and doves. We live in big pheasant country - so that's the biggest. My husband also hunts deer. I've gone along on some walks, etc., but haven't gotten into that yet. I just can't get as excited or into it as him, so I just wait til he's got him and take pictures, and try to help load and unload (not an easy task - pretty much pretend like I'm helping!).

I hunt with a winchester 1300 12 guage shotgun. Not sure what his is, he has a 300 mag he deer hunts with, also.

For years we've hunted with whoevers dogs were there. Not the best way to hunt! So, in 2003 we bought our first hunter, Duke a weimaraner. This year we also bought a german shorthair, Eight (because of the patch on his back in the shape of an eight). Last year was Duke's first year of hunting, and we were very happy with him. Now this fall we'll be able to get him out more, and it will be Eights first year. So, we have our hands full!

I totally agree about the excitement I get when I watch how excited the dogs are when they smell something, or get close to a pheasant! It absolutely makes my day! They are incredible animals, so smart! I don't know how I've lived this long without them! I started Duke in Agility to keep us busy and active. It's a lot of fun! I just like to learn new things and see what my dogs do when they are learning new things.

I hunt, because when I started dating Josh (now my husband) he informed me that he hunts, fishes, and there isn't much time in btwn those 2 sports, so I figured I better go along and see if I enjoyed it also, or if I'd be sitting at home like a lot of other wives I know! I've enjoyed just about every moment of it, but have to say I am not an all weather girl! Leave me home if it's nasty out and I don't have the right clothes on for the weather!

Caren

seadog

Post by seadog » Thu May 13, 2004 3:33 pm

1) with my wires : ducks/geese , upland birds , furred small game
with hounds : deer
stand/ still hunt : moose
with baits : bear (long lost bud has returned to the fold)
2) 870 Wingmaster , . 303 British , 870 special purpose slug gun
3) see above
4) as close as possable for what they where intended for as
versatiles
5) it's what keeps me sane in an insane world , if I can't hunt just take me behind the barn and put a round into the back of my head , the joy of watching the dogs work , the time with good friends at the different hunt camps , lastly if I have to explain it you wouldn't understand it.

gspman

2 gsp

Post by gspman » Fri May 14, 2004 1:41 pm

I hunt primarily grouse up in northern wi and pheasants in the southern part of the state. Both species are few and far between right now.

I like filling the family freezer with deer via gun/bow.

I would like to do some duck hunting, just don't have the time.

I personally use a Beretta es-100 pintail in 12 ga. My wife uses a savage pump 20 ga.

boykinhntr

Post by boykinhntr » Fri May 14, 2004 9:27 pm

I hunt ducks, deer, turkey, dove, and occasionally rabbits and squirrel.

I use a Benelli Nova, rem. 870 Super mag, Browning 16, Browning 300 Medallion, and my Bowtech Pro 38 Bow.

Hopefully I will have a 3.5" Citori for next year.

Dogs make a hunt IMO. I had a Golden for 7 seven years that I had to put down last Aug. I had the opportunity to hunt with a Boykin this season and luckily got one of his pups. My boykin, Remi, is 4.5 months old and is doing better than I could have imagined. He is a machine in the field. Full speed and loves birds! I look forward to hunting with him for the first time this dove season.

Hunting to me is everything! If I am not working then I am hunting and if it is not season I am training my dog and fishing. I just grew up hunting with my dad and grandpa. I shot my first duck when I was six. I had a single shot 410. I have been at it ever since.

Nice to hear from each of you!!

grousehunter

Post by grousehunter » Fri May 14, 2004 11:20 pm

Hopefully I will have a 3.5" Citori for next year.
Browning doesn't make a Citori with a 3.5 inch chamber. I think you would be hard pressed tp find any o/u that is chambered 3.5.

boykinhntr

Post by boykinhntr » Sat May 15, 2004 9:40 am

Browning makes two 3.5" citoris. One has a wooden(don't remember what model) stock and the other is a camo waterfowl special. They quite making the wood in '02. Beretta Onyx also makes a 3.5". Neither company makes many of them but they do offer them. My hunting partner has both of them. Several other manufacturers make 3.5" o/u as well. I like them b/c I mainly duck and goose hunt. The extra load works well. You can see some of these guns on gunbroker.com. Remington is going to introduce a 3.5" o/u in 2005. (At least that is the Rumor)

grousehunter

Post by grousehunter » Sat May 15, 2004 12:29 pm

good luck there isn't a Citori as you decribed, check their website.

Wireviz_lady

Scarlet

Post by Wireviz_lady » Sat May 15, 2004 6:01 pm

Here is a pic of my Scarlet, 4 mnth old Wirehaired Vizsla, on point.
I think she is showing a lot of promise!
Bec

boykinhntr

Post by boykinhntr » Sun May 16, 2004 11:18 am

Grousehunter, The citori is not on the website. I am not sure why. As I said, one of the models is no longer made. The camo version is still in production. Most gun shops in Arkansas have them. Several of my hunting partners shoot them. If you are really interested call 800-229-0296. Macks Prairie Wings sells many of them and they can order whatever you need as well.

boykinhntr

Post by boykinhntr » Sun May 16, 2004 6:18 pm

Grousehunter, here is a discussion on the topic.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthre ... did=234953

grousehunter

Post by grousehunter » Mon May 17, 2004 12:11 am

boykinhntr wrote:Grousehunter, here is a discussion on the topic.

http://refugeforums.com/refuge/showthre ... did=234953
Thanks a bundle now I'm going to have to buy another shotgun. :D

raven

Post by raven » Mon May 17, 2004 6:19 am

1) Mostly grouse and woodcock with the occational quail and pheasat when I take Raven on a preserve.

2) I use a Traditions O/U 12 Ga.

3)I liked like to hunt wild Pheasants and quail . pretty much if it will get my dog birdy and you can hunt it I think it would be fun

4) Raven works out front close to med range. I like to be able to keep an eye on him he's still young

5)The reason I hunt is to spend more time outdoors with my kids they like to go on walks in the woods and watch there puppy find birdies, my oldest will be old enough this fall to take hunters safty so he can accully go hunting.

Wireviz_lady

finally

Post by Wireviz_lady » Mon May 17, 2004 8:23 am

lol~
I am glad we got that settled!

txgspdad

Post by txgspdad » Mon May 17, 2004 11:55 pm

Hello all,

Newbie here, making first post on this board. Great topic to introduce myself, here goes...

My GSP's and I hunt dove, quail, pheasant, ducks, and geese. Mostly here in Texas, but have chased pheasants in Nebraska, Iowa, and S. Dakota as well.

I hunt with my sweet (and talented) 9 yo Haley, and this fall will begin breaking in my hand full of a pup, Jake, who is an enthusiastic 8 months old. Guns? 12 & 20 ga. Ruger Red Label w/English stock. 12 ga. Beretta Extrema 3.5. 12 ga. Beretta AL390.

I would LOVE to hunt with a grown up Jake that turns out to be as good a hunter and friend to me as Haley girl. All the while carrying a lovely, light side by side 20 ga. What the heck, and a matching 12 ga. too. And a 20 ga. Beretta AL390 to go with the 12 ga. And a ...

I use Haley in the classic sense of a "versatile" gun dog. She retrieves all my doves. Sits in the blind with me and gets my ducks and geese. Works reasonably close and points quail and pheasant like a pro, and then finds the ones her dad is lucky enough to actually shoot. Jake has proven to be very adept at eating, sleeping, and tearing up the back yard, but I plan on using him in the same manner.

I hunt because I love it. Every bit of it. Being in God's great outdoors. The comaraderie. The fair chase. The meat. Especially the part of watching a good dog work with me. And most especially when that dog is mine! Oh, and also the fact my dogs would bite me if we didn't hunt their beloved birds.

Steve

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue May 18, 2004 6:07 am

Sounds like a great dog Steve. Hope your young guy turns out the same.
brenda

txgspdad

Post by txgspdad » Tue May 18, 2004 9:44 am

Thanks Brenda. Truly got lucky with Haley. Just hoping lightning can strike twice with young Jake!

Steve

PA_Sportsman

Post by PA_Sportsman » Tue May 25, 2004 8:50 am

What do you hunt?
Turkey, Deer, waterfowl, Upland birds

What do you hunt with?
Deer-Bow, rifle
Turkey-Shotgun, Bow
waterfowl-12ga semi
Upland-20ga o/u

will be using her for Grouse, woodcock, pheasant, ducks

Why do you hunt?
Enjoyment of the hunting experience

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Wed May 26, 2004 2:21 pm

Griff Man here coming to you from the great state of Wisconsin :P

Here we are lucky to hunt grouse and woodcock, in the south part of the state there are pheasant, but not up north der hey!

I own wirehaired pointing griffon. I get out as much as possible to hunt or to train.

I do hunt to fill the freezer for deer and turkey, but the heart belongs to grouse and a few early season duck hunts.

Looking to expand and go west to hunt huns, sharp tails, and pheasants.

:D

Griff Man

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Wed May 26, 2004 4:10 pm

Griff tell the truth, you're really just a crusty ole grouch and you have that hairy monster of a dog because no one else will put up with you! :lol:

Hey take a look at my website, I'm putting myself about a 2 month trip together up in the NW starting in mid september, I'd love it if you and that hairy beast and a few other nice folks could catch up to me for a few days here and there so we can finally shake hands. I'm leaving here the tenth give/take going to stop off a few days in South Dakota to let Lou look at a prosepect for me and then I'm going to head to eastern WA and Idaho, maybe NE Oregon to catch up to Keith and a few of the dogs I've sent up that way over the years then slowly work my way back east and south before I end up back here around the tenth of November.

I'll get more serious about the itenerary in August, but it looks like for now at least that the trip is a definite go. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

tfbirddog2

hunter's profile

Post by tfbirddog2 » Thu May 27, 2004 9:17 pm

Let me break down my profile.
1. deer, turkey, pheasant,quail,dove,varmits and rodents.
2. 835 Mossberg 3.5 Ulti-mag, Biakal 20ga.o/u, Rem.700 7mm Mag, 22-250 Savage Varmit. and Ruger 45.ACP.
3. I hunt as often as possible which is a lot, I work four 10 hour days.
4. I hunt for everything from food to pure relaxation. Like they say " A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work."
5. I am hoping to purchase a Berreta Extrema 3.5 or Super Black Eagle II this fall. They are two good guns to choose from. If any one has any comments I have an open mind to help with the choice. Thanks.

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Fri May 28, 2004 6:32 am

CR.

Love to hook up. If you want to look me up in wisconsin to do a little grouse and woodcock hunting you are more than welcome. we have the room.

let me know

oh, you are right about me being a crusty ole grouch :roll:

Griff Man

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri May 28, 2004 6:49 am

CR,

What are you charging for your event?

I might could bring Carl and Bell to show old Moose, Bullett, and Dan a few things :wav: Only kidding.....

It sounds cool though, you could also post it on our events section if you like.

Grant

dakndug

Post by dakndug » Fri May 28, 2004 8:13 am

I hunt Upland and Prarie birds, ducks, turkey, deer and elk and hope one day to finally draw my bighorn tag.

I use a Traditions O/U for upland, a Daly SXS for Prarie and an 870 for ducks. Black Powder for turkey and archery and rifle for deer/elk.

I use my dogs for upland and prarie bird hunting and will use one I am finishing now for waterfowl work this fall.

I hunt for enjoyment of the outdoors and to pass this great tradition on to our future generations. I have been guiding turkey hunters in the spring for almost 20 yrs and the last 10 I have stressed the Youth Day in our turkey season. Nothing is better than the smile of a childs face behind a longbeards fan!

Doug[/img]

tfbirddog2

hunters profile

Post by tfbirddog2 » Fri May 28, 2004 8:32 am

Hey, Doug your right there is nothing better than putting a smile on a kids face.I had the chance to take my youngest brother-in-law two years ago to get his first deer. It was a nice big white-tailed doe. He took her with his 243. at about 85 yards. And you should have seen his face light up, he was pumped. I have also had the chance to guide a few kids on bird hunts too, they really get excited to see my three dogs point and then kill a bird over the dogs heads. I think that it's better watching kids and dogs than adults.

Oh yeah my two year old daughter already knows if Daddy and her puppies are gone I'm hunting. I look forward to showing her the great outdoors and passing on the tradition to her.

p.s how was the spring turkey season for you.

TFbirddog2