Petsafe inground fence question

bondoron

Petsafe inground fence question

Post by bondoron » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:44 pm

I just got a Petsafe stubborn inground system. My question is how wide can I make the boundry area, or static area or what ever they call it? I will be fencing in about a three acre area.

postoakshorthairs

Re: Petsafe inground fence question

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:16 pm

I can't remember for sure, but I seem to remember something like 250ft radius from the base unit (info was in paperwork that came with the unit. I had one for our jack russel and it was terribly inconsistent with regards to when it gave him a zap. Sometimes it would shock him well before the flags for no apparent reason and sometimes he could go well beyond the flags before it shocked him. It was impossible for the dog to associate the shocks with the flagged boundaries that we just took it back. I hope you have better luck.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:20 pm

My mistake..reading skills aren't as keen as they should be. I was referring to the wireless system. I did have one of the inground units also and the information...if memory serves...was in the literature and was expressed in how many feet of wire it would energize.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:18 pm

bondo, I have the "regular inground system...not the "stubborn" one and love it. It is typically set to beep at a couple feet before the wire and "zap" at the wire. One time I tried to "increase" the boundary/level...make it beep and shock further out. I did it too much because it got the pup WAY before he was ready and after that he would not leave the porch, thinking he would get it as soon as he stepped foot off the porch. Now I am on only a 1/2 acre village lot, so the regular setting is fine for me...like others said the literature should spell it out...if not try the website...here I found it...

Stubborn Dog Radio Fence Product Specifications
* Waterproof Stubborn Dog Collar with Batteries
* 500 Feet of Wire and 50 Flags Enough for 1/3 Acre
* One Transmitter capable of enclosing up to 10 acres
* Complete Instructions
* Five Levels of Programmable Correction
o Vibration feature in the warning tone as an additional deterrent
o Level one is warning only with vibration - ideal for initial training or very timid pets
o Levels two thru four with vibration are for easy or average to train pets
o Level five with vibration is for very hard to train or stubborn pets
o Levels are easily changed with a push of a button on the collar
* Testing Tool: Allows you to test the proper operation of the Collar
* Low Battery Indicator Light: - Lets you know when the batteries need replacing.
* ASIC Microchip: A chip the size of a match head with 3000+ filters to prevent unwanted correction.
* Omni-Directional Signal: A must for all containment systems as it eliminates all dead signal areas.
* Operates Multiple Collars: operate as many collars and contain as many dogs as you desire.
* Adjustable Correction Zone: Allowing you to set the correction field from a few feet all the way up to 20 feet.
* Yard Size: Ideal for any size yard up to 10 acres
* Wire Break Alarm: Audio break alarm and light on the transmitter warns you if the wire has been broken
* Digitally Coded Signal: Prevents false activation. Only our transmitter can activate the collar.
* Collar Fail-Safe: If your pet gets trapped in the correction zone, the collar will shut down after 20 seconds to prevent over correction
* Transmitter cover: Conceals range adjustment control to prevent tampering and accidental increases or decreases in signal
* Built-in lightning and surge protection for storm-prone areas
* UL and CE rated
* Instructions: Easy-to-follow manual and DVD covering installation and pet training
* Veterinarian Recommended and Approved!

mm

Post by mm » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 am

When you install the unit and open the door there will be a dial with numbers from 1 to 10 (1 smallest 10 largest). This is just a guid it does not represent feet. You can adjust the correction zone down to a couple of feet or open it up as big as 10 or 15 feet . If you have a lot of room I like the biggest correction zone as space will allow. When I do small lots I do that and than shrink it a little at a time when the dog is fully trained to increase the pet space in the yard. On large properties and on deer control properties I use the largest possible.
mm

www.americandogfence.com

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 pm

I have the room so I do want to get the max. I thought I had read somewhere the correction area (wire) changed as more area was added. I am just trying to figure it all out before I lay it out and test it.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:07 pm

You don't want to start out at the max. Then you have no where to go if you need more signal field later. Start out at 4-5 ft. depending on how much wire you put out your selector switch on the side will be on B with the range knob on 5-6. Start there and walk towards the wire with the collar about knee high. Then when you come in contact to the signal field the collar will make the warning tone. Mark that spot somehow. Kick a line in the dirt or place a rock there. This is where the dog will get the warning. If you move closer to the wire the shock will start. Now if you want to keep the dog a little further from the wire turn you range up another digit or 2. You will get around 6-8 inches per digit. Email me if you have any more questions. I have been in the dog fence business for several years and trained a few thousand dogs. There are a several wrong ways to start you dog out and a few right. Do it the right way and save yourself headaches down the road.
donpetstop@gmail.com

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I am wondering about the range is only for the placement of the wire. I want to keep the dogs out of the driveway. The driveway is only 20 or so feet from the door so that really limits them from the start. I can put the wire on the other side of the driveway but I then need the range of it to reach out about 25 ft to get to the side of the driveway I want to keep the dogs on. (hope that made sense) Those of you that have an underground fence, which do you think would be better?

DoubleB20

Post by DoubleB20 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:22 pm

I'd put the wire on the near side of the driveway. Like someone said, you can turn down the range and you should be OK. I have to run mine in the eve above my patio so the dogs can get up there, so I run the wire overhead and turn the range down then bring the wire down to the ground at the fence. I love mine - works great! Good luck.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:30 pm

You can cross the driveway anywhere there is an expansion joint. Just clean it out with a screw driver then poke it in.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:25 pm

I have the same system, have 4 acres fenced in. I tossed the green wire and went to menards and got some 14 ga solid wire for a start, then ran the wire, buried some, ran some along the barbed wire fence on 3 sides of the property. I set it to full or level 10 for the first month or so then dropped it doown when I felt they would not try to run thru it. Now they stay in and play all day. I had a collar go bad, called petsafe, they sent out a new one for 40.00. My dogs stay in 2 kennels when I am not around, run in the field when I am up and here. Wife is alergic so no livestock in the house. :) The female rooted out a possum the other day, killed it with one bite to the head, she is vicious on varmints. critter was eating the cat food up. Keep em up on shots and rabies they should be OK.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935