Smelling a dead bird?

GSPVIZ

Smelling a dead bird?

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:48 pm

This might sound like a stupid ? but, why will a dog point a live bird but not point a bird that has just been killed. Is the scent that much different after the bird has been shot?

h.q.s

Re: Smelling a dead bird?

Post by h.q.s » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:04 pm

I think there is a difference. Like some young pups will point a dead bird, then start to flag, then pounce. Where asa n experienced bird d og will go straight for the retrieve. So I do think there is a difference, that the dogs can only know, especially an experienced bird dog.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:08 pm

Yea I mean I have came across some dead birds (who knows how long) and the dog will just smell them and be on her way. She doesn't point them. That is why I don't understand why some ppl save wings to train with.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 pm

There isn't any difference between live bird and dead bird scent that I know of.some dogs that isn't trained to retrieve yet will point dead birds when they're downed.The first Setter I had wouldn't retrieve,but she'd find and point every dead bird for me.
Dog On Point!!

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:48 pm

GSPVIZ wrote:Yea I mean I have came across some dead birds (who knows how long) and the dog will just smell them and be on her way. She doesn't point them. That is why I don't understand why some ppl save wings to train with.

Brings out puppies instincts to point, retrieve, I use wings a little bit to bring out the pups instincts. But I don't know anybody that TRAINS with them, like planting a wing and bringing the dog in to point it? That dosnt seem right. I don't know about that one.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Wings are used to entise a puppy to point but it is sight pointing and not smelling the wing. You can do it with a plastic bag or an old towel or whatever. And yes, I am sure they smell different. Sometimes even I can smell they are injured or dead. The body being punctured with BB's has to give off a bllood or body fluid smell which they learn after a few excounters normally.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

texscala

Post by texscala » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:08 pm

I had my pup out on a hunt this year and she locked up solid. I tried to flush and nothing went up so I came back and released her. She took a few steps and locked up again. I tried again and nothing....after releasing her again she took a few steps and picked up a chukar that must have died during the cold night. She brought it to me and that was that.

When she was younger she would point downed birds but now she knows that after she has heard a gun go off or "dead bird" she is free to get in there and pick it up.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:37 am

Dead birds don't breath, live birds do, and I'd be very surprised if breath isn't part of the mix that tells an experienced dog what's up.

(Pardon me if someone else has pointed out the obvious, but my quick scan of the replies didn't catch it.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Will

Post by Will » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 am

Rick Hall wrote:Dead birds don't breath, live birds do, and I'd be very surprised if breath isn't part of the mix that tells an experienced dog what's up.

(Pardon me if someone else has pointed out the obvious, but my quick scan of the replies didn't catch it.)
I think there's the key..."experienced" dog. My two year old will sometimes fail to mark a shot bird well and he'll run past it. He goes to search and points it on the find sometimes. I tell him "dead bird" while he's searching and command fetch when he points it. I think it'll all come together for him soon enough. He doesn't mis-mark very many and has a very strong desire to retrieve. I think when he associates the "dead bird" when searching after a shot, he'll just pick it up and retrieve.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Not only does a live bird have breath, the dead bird usually has something wrong with it, Maybe a bit of led , traces of gun powder and blood? Also a sick bird smells different as well, that (IMHO) is also why some dogs do not point or show little interest in week or sickly birds.

Example (dogs used for cancer detection, used for seizure predetection, bomb dogs, drug dogs etc.) A dogs sense of smell is far beyond any thing we could ever imagine without the reasearch.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:14 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Dead birds don't breath, live birds do, and I'd be very surprised if breath isn't part of the mix that tells an experienced dog what's up.
Through evolution and adaptation we very may well see pheasants holding their breath in the next century :mrgreen:
Just kidding, I have no idea. I would however guess that if we're talking a bird that's been dead in the field for more than an afternoon they'll give off an odor that even I can smell. Decomposition is a nose-burner.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:40 pm

Benny wrote:
Through evolution and adaptation we very may well see pheasants holding their breath in the next century :mrgreen:
Just kidding, I have no idea. I would however guess that if we're talking a bird that's been dead in the field for more than an afternoon they'll give off an odor that even I can smell. Decomposition is a nose-burner.
Perhaps if we were to offer a pheasant a tic-tac that might make a difference. I think dogs just know, plain and simple. They can tell.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:47 pm

Benny wrote:
We are talking about birds you just killed within the past few minutes. The dog can tell the difference at least with experience.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:33 pm

IMO, Rick hit the nail on the head! Live birds breath is what most of the sent comes from. Ever tuck a head when planting vs. dizzying them? If you don't let them sit long enough the dog is much more likely to run past a tucked headed bird. Dogs, with experience, learn the slight variation in smell and adjust accordingly.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:43 pm

GSPVIZ wrote:This might sound like a stupid ? but, why will a dog point a live bird but not point a bird that has just been killed. Is the scent that much different after the bird has been shot?
Dead birds don't breathe. Live healthy birds don't have blood. Wounded birds have both breath and blood.

Wounded birds will also give off odors from the release of stress hormones.

Dogs with good noses and experience learn to tell the difference between the three and if they haven't been hammered too much in staunchness training will treat each of them differently.
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:07 pm

aylaschamp wrote:IMO, Rick hit the nail on the head! Live birds breath is what most of the sent comes from. Ever tuck a head when planting vs. dizzying them? If you don't let them sit long enough the dog is much more likely to run past a tucked headed bird. Dogs, with experience, learn the slight variation in smell and adjust accordingly.

this is an very interesting theory....it does make sense... i would like to add one situation that might mix it up a bit.....if breath is whre most of the scent comes from, how does a dog point a bird launcher where the bird has been released 20 or more minutes earlier? i have seen that happen countless times and makes me wonder about the "scenting" of live vs dead birds as I used to think live birds had more scent but now I am not so sure after seeing this phenomenon. i dont think we will ever fully understand what happens with bird scent and a dogs nose.

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Young or inexperienced dogs haven't learned the different scents. Look at Charlies point as well. He dove a bit deeper than I did. Eventually, dogs learn to discriminate the change of scent.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:31 am

Sprig, when you were working your pup on birds in launchers, you were also conditioning him to associate the launcher's scent with those birds, so there's that as well as residual bird scent to help trigger his points on empty launchers. "Nose" is a combination of both hardware (physical ability to detect scents) and software (mental ability to sort their meanings and respond appropriately), and that software is susceptible to programing.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:41 am

Why I still think the smell of blood or body fluids is the main difference is a dog will find a wounded bird that is still breathing and will pick it up rather than point it. Both birds are still breathing.

This is an interesting discussion but one we may never know the answer to which also indicates it is probably a whole bunch of different ways the dog can pickup that we can't.

Ezzy

rydaddy

Post by rydaddy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Newbie here, My not quite 2yr old Vizsla and I are on our first "season" of bird hunting. Mostly at preserves. Things I have noticed/learned about his pointing...

-When he is searching for a dead bird, I have seen him point them. This is typically only on those occasions where it has taken him a while to locate it. Kind of like the search went on long enough that he goes out of retrieve mode. It is not a very staunch point.

-Lately he has been pointing chukars from Distances that are making it hard for me to even find the darn things! I have started working on relocating him after these points.

-Planted pheasants (tucked) he is usually much closer too when he points them. And it is a different looking point then the "distant chukar" points.

-Running pheasants (b@stards!) are a different style of point all together. More like he stops dead in his tracks and is saying "wait a minute, I got it... or maybe I don't" These little guys are currently our biggest challenge.
Rydaddy
"Levi" Vizsla

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:45 am

I thought it was the breath that gave the most destinctive scent.....like yesterday we shot a double of quail...one bird was dead went in got the retreive...the second bird the went up an pointed the bird and I thought that was strange....when i got close enough it was just crippled and still alive....so im assuming he could tell by the breathing of the bird or what...i just taped him on the head and said dead bird and he grabbed it.