Yard and Dogs?

GSPVIZ

Yard and Dogs?

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:25 pm

So I have finally decided that when the dogs go into the back yard to do their thing, they need to be sectioned off.

I was going to fence off a 12x12 section for them. My question is, what is the best thing to put down for them. I don't want to have to deal with mud. I was looking at synthetic grass but that is about $10/sq ft. I was then thinking of putting down mulch but then when my make pees (he pees like a girl) he will splash all over his legs.

Has anyone used synthetic grass with dogs and had success? Do you know of a cheaper product?

Any ideas?

windswept

Re: Yard and Dogs?

Post by windswept » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:26 pm

No offense GSPVIS. You would have alot of fun adding up the dollars I spend on this hobby called dogs but wow ...........ONLY IN AMERICA!!!!!
The economy might be tanking but I get to live in a country where people are looking for something better for their dog to take a crap on!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Gspviz,
I know what you mean. Never tried synthetic grass, some good ole pea gravel would be the best probably, it drains well, and pretty maintenance free, get a horse scooper for the crap and the pea gravel falls right through.

Just a thought.

Chip

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:21 pm

Would they do their business on paver/patio blocks? Those would be cheaper than the artificial grass, and easy to clean. I have seen mulch used too. Maybe if it was the really shredded kind it wouldn't splatter. I would always worry about my knuckleheads eating it though. The pea gravel sounds like your best bet.

Snow has melted here and my front yard is yellow! I cringe everytime I see all the lawn repair that needs to be done. :evil:

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:57 pm

Pavers would just splatter the pee all over his legs I think. I have seen him pee on the sidewalk and its not a pretty sight! :lol:

I had a nice sod job in my back yard last summer and it will need to be totally redone at this point from these crazy dogs.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:13 pm

Boy was I having a moment when I suggested that! :oops: Forgot about the splatter factor. :lol:

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:31 pm

No offense but why do you have a yard if not to enjoy it and for your dogs to enjoy it? To me it makes no sense. Kinda like buying a $100,000 dollar painting to hang on the wall and look at makes no sense. You can't have dogs and yard of the month too. Dogs are gonna be dogs like kids are gonna be kids. JMHO

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Ive got three dogs and have never had a problem. As soon as the yard starts to green up the spots will be gone. Between our three and the neighbors husky our yard gets used a lot.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:49 pm

Get him a couple of pair of high top wee wee boots.That way when he wee wees,the wee wee won't splash on his legs.
Dog On Point!!

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 am

No offense but why do you have a yard if not to enjoy it and for your dogs to enjoy it? To me it makes no sense. Kinda like buying a $100,000 dollar painting to hang on the wall and look at makes no sense. You can't have dogs and yard of the month too. Dogs are gonna be dogs like kids are gonna be kids. JMHO
heck ya and bring into the house all the mud ya want, cuz your my dog and I'll still love it!

schmidty_dog

Post by schmidty_dog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:14 am

will grass not grow in the sectioned off part? you could always throw down some oats... they'll grow like wildfire and be similar to grass basically. My dad always uses oats when we move dirt in our yard since it just takes off so fast. The darn rabbits love the stuff too, and our dog loves to chase the rabbits! lol

Seriously is this a place where grass/oats can't grow?

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:29 am

All,

My yard is smaller so any activity in the yard just tears it up. I cannot let them do it anymore becasue I really don't feel like wiping them off every time they come in the house, i don't want mud all over the place.

Also I don't care if they don't get exercise in the yard, I exercise them enough off leash that they don't need a place to run around and ruin behind my house.

I was just asking if anyone had any suggestions, that's all.

So if you do not have a suggestion, please hold you comments because they really aren't getting me anywhere.

Thanks.

windswept

Post by windswept » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:20 am

Sorry about the "Only in America" comment. I was just pointing out how fortunate we are to have been born in such a great contry.
After reading all of the comments and re-reading your original post maybe you should just put up a kennel. I also have too much money stuck in cultured sod to let my dogs ruin it. I went the route of putting in kennels and the only problem I've had is the run off from the kennel buring the grass for about five feet around the kennel. I remedied this by digging a two foot deep, three foot wide trench around the kennel and filling it with pea gravel and landscaping rock. It worked well.
By the time you spend the money to fence off a 12 x 12 area you could probably build a functional kennel. If price is a consideration you could even make the surface out of wood (like a mini-deck) instead of concrete.
I had someone suggest the oats idea but my concern for you would be that in a 12 x 12 area the dogs would probably beat it down and you'd have mud.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Orangecrush

Post by Orangecrush » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:38 am

Somewhere I saw plans for a doggie septic system. Try searching for something like that. You'd probably have to build a kennel with a concrete pad and then have the pad drain into the septic system. Let us know if you find something that works.
"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly
enough I can have it. It's called perseverance."
~ Lee Iacocca ~

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:17 am

I second the the peagravel idea! Thats exactly what i did, and it works great. I just dug about 8 inches down in a 12x12 ft. square, and filled with bags of pea gravel, and it works great. I do have to clean up pea gravel around the edges though. They always knock some out. :D
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:36 am

My suggested would be to have a small area based with tamped limestone findings where the dogs are trained to do their duty. the limestone will absorb most odors well. Easier to pick up than with pea gravel.

An attractive but very hearty, deep rooted, urine tolerant lawn would be to establish modern turf-type tall fescue lawn.
Once established this turf will stand up to most dog activity.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:26 am

I'd also recommend the pea gravel, at least 4-6" deep. If you're concerned about odor, put lime underneath and pack. To keep the gravel within the fenced off section, you could build a small retaining wall less than a foot tall out of any landscaping brick, block, or rock around the interior or exterior of the fence.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:36 am

An attractive but very hearty, deep rooted, urine tolerant lawn would be to establish modern turf-type tall fescue lawn.
Once established this turf will stand up to most dog activity.
Yes I sodded with tall fescue but I didn't have the ability to keep the dogs off it until it rooted well (lessons learned :roll: ).

With the pea gravel, do you think pee would splash up? Like I said my male will crouch (barely) and pee straight down (about a foot off the ground). I just dont want him splashing all over his legs then coming in the house and getting it all over.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:55 am

No, there's so much drainage with pea gravel, I doubt there'd be much splashing. All our dogs are kenneled on pea gravel, and our females don't have a problem at all... it's clean stuff.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:03 pm

This might be what I do.......
Dog Area.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:05 pm

You are right I was not being very helpful on my last post and I aplogize about that. Here is a product you might be interested in and may be able to purchase in you area.http://www.lagrass.com/pets.htm. It looked like a neat product but I know for a fact they don't have anything like it in my neck of the woods but I live in very rural area. Perhaps you can put it in an area where the dogs do their business and keep them off the real stuff.

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:18 pm

Yea that is the type of stuff I was looking into. They just want too much dang money for the stuff.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Pine straw.
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Well I did it. I used pea gravel. The dogs don't mind it at all. It is so nice just letting them into the house and not having to wipe mud off of their paws.

I clean up the bombs 1x a day and also spray down the stone with water to keep it clean.

I will post pics soon to show you all what I did.

Matt

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:47 pm

I got a couple PM's asking me how I made out with the area.....

It works great. Dogs do not mind doing their business on the gravel at all.

See the grass that they ruined that I am trying to regrow!!!????? :roll:

fuess

Post by fuess » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:55 pm

if you have a very sunny spot, plant zoyzia grass. You cant kill the stuff!

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:27 pm

Astro turf doesn't seem like a good idea to me, mostly because it will hold an amonia like smell after a while. I would go with gravel. Yours looks great!
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:29 am

This post is unbelievable, but I guess a lot of things are...................... to a redneck from oklahoma. :D
Last edited by ACooper on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INDIANA

Post by INDIANA » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:35 am

Redneck in Indianer too.....LOL :roll:

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:29 pm

GSPVIZ,

Is this still working out good for you? I am thinking about building something similar, I am also watching my yard go dowhill very quickly!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:08 pm

I have 3 dogs doing their business in the back yard and hanging out in the back yard.I clean up the poo everyday.
They are in and out of the house during the day. I wipe their feet when they come in and no problem.
The grass comes back every spring.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Yes this is working out great for us. No need to wipe them off anymore :D

taxidermy

Post by taxidermy » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:27 pm

I have 5 setters that run free in the yard , 3 years ago i put so in pea gravel , worked great but dogs still perfured the grass or dirt it also hur their feet . This year i put in a gravel that is 1/2 way between sand and pea gravel [size wise].
NOW
THE dogs would rather poop , piss and play in the squeegee then the rest of the yard .
It is also ezy to clean and you can wash it down.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:17 am

i recently tried planting seed in the spots he ruined, but none of it took. He kept running through those spots and/or peeing on the seed. That's why i pretty much made up my mind to section off an area of the yard for him to go in. i plan to build it a little smaller than what GSPVIZ built and possibly put some bushes around it. Now its just a matter of finding the time to do it.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:07 am

I use chat gravel in the kennels. Like the stuff the put in horse rings and such. It's dusty at first but after a rain it settles into a nice concrete like flat base, BUT it remains very absorbent and the urine never sits on tope like concrete. Soaks right throu. Last time I ordered regular (larger) gravel and was worried about the "sharp edges" but no one has had any troube and I have not had one cracked, cut, or sore pad after any field work since then. Not one.

if the weather is really dry for a longtime, it can get dusty