Question about spaying

KarlW

Question about spaying

Post by KarlW » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:22 pm

I had someone tell me that spaying a female can result in "dribbling" urine on occasion. Any truth to that? I'm considering a female GSP (have always had males before). I will spay or neuter as I am not interested in breeding.

EddieF

Re: Question about spaying

Post by EddieF » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:06 am

KarlW wrote:I had someone tell me that spaying a female can result in "dribbling" urine on occasion. Any truth to that? I'm considering a female GSP (have always had males before). I will spay or neuter as I am not interested in breeding.
Yes there can be some urinary incontinence associated with spayed females. I'm not an expert, but have had two females (lab and GSP), both spayed at 6 months, and both developed this later in life. I think around age 5 years. In my case, the condition was easily and reliably controlled with a drug with a really long name. Phenproplalanine or something like that. Chewable tablet once a day and it WORKED. If I ran out for a day or two, my GSP would have an accident, she'd just leak on the couch while she was asleep.

Recently someone sent me some extremely compelling information in the form of a study that addressed the long term health risks and benefits associated with spaying/neutering and, particularly, doing so at a young age. In my case - and I'm not interested in breeding either - it has convinced me to wait at least until after the first heat cycle to do so.

There will be lots of different opinions on this. And there are no clear answers. I'm just saying that the recent stuff I've read led me to change my previous 'spay at 6 months' philosophy.

I'll look for the article and email it to you if you like.

KarlW

Post by KarlW » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 am

EddieF,
PM sent.
-KarlW

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

KarlW wrote:I had someone tell me that spaying a female can result in "dribbling" urine on occasion. Any truth to that? I'm considering a female GSP (have always had males before). I will spay or neuter as I am not interested in breeding.
Go look on the health and nutrition section on this site and read through the previous threads on spaying. Lots of negative side effects to spaying (including incontinence) especially if it's done before 2yrs of age.

Unfortunately many vets rarely discuss the likelihood of these problems PRIOR to spaying your dog for you.
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

solon

Post by solon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:35 am