Registration questions

itsmyturtle

Registration questions

Post by itsmyturtle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:24 pm

I'm very interested in a Llewellin pup that a breeder has. It is not FDSB registered. But is registered with the IPDBA and come out of a good line. I'm a little in the dark about this so maybe someone can answer the these questions. Can the pup be registered with the FDSB? Or if she is breed can her litter be registered with the FDSB? What importance is it that she be registered with the FDSB? As far as field trialing goes can she compete with the registration she has now? Is the IPDBA a common registration for hunting dogs? How would the price of this dog or her litter be effected by not being registered FDSB? And if she had a litter with only the IPDBA how would that effect the prices of her offspring? I appreciate any input on theis and thank ya'll
itsmyturtle

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Registration questions

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm

No the dog is not FDSB registerable
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Also for trials others will have to chime in but as far as FDSB and many trial venues will not except the IPDBA registry
So sure it can be bred but outside of the registry your dog is in the pups will be basically unregistered
You will have to seek the IPDbA as to what their policies is with other registries
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:08 pm

History
The International Progressive Breeders' Alliance, IPBA, was founded in 1996. IPBA is composed of three subsidiary animal registries, the IPDBA for dogs, the IPCBA for cats, and the IPEBA, intended for non-domestic exotics, which may include wolves, lynxes, lions, and other wild species.

The IPDBA, like the other two IPBA subsidiaries, is made up of chartered breed or species associations which have full control over their breed or species standard. As of early 2006, three of the dog breeds the IPDBA recognizes are affiliated with IPDBA-chartered breed associations.

The stated purposes of the IPBA, applicable to all three of its subsidiaries including the IPBDA, are:

to provide "creative freedom" to breeders to develop new breeds and preserve old breed lines "as they wish without interference from registries." The IPBDA acknowledges any registrations accepted by its member breed clubs, without further oversight. The IPBDA does not administer and revise breed standards. This is left to the member breed clubs.
to provide a means of international networking among members of each subsidiary animal registry (dogs, cats, exotic non-domestic species including canids and felids).
to unite breeders to work together to protect all breeds of animals and their hobby from restrictive legislation.
The reference to restrictive legislation likely includes breed-specific legislation and bans on hybridizing domesticated animals with wild canids and felids, or bans on owning such hybrids, or bans owning non-domestic species whether purebred or crossed with other wild species, such as ligers.

[edit] Registrations
The IPDBA's breed recognition rules[4] are much more open to accepting breeds which are now in development than the major kennel clubs and nearly all breed clubs. After three generations of registered reproduction within the breed or breed group, the IPDBA states it will offer championship points to dogs from these newly-developed or re-created breeds.

Granting fourth-generation breed championships is a considerably more rapid process than found in traditional breed clubs and kennel clubs, which generally require a significant amount of time accumulating and registering the foundation stock, and a closed stud book. For example, the AKC does not permit breeds to enter its Foundation Stock Service, which tracks pedigrees prior to the closing of the stud book, unless the breed club can show documentation of the "distinct breed over a period of many decades."[5] Even with that much history, the AKC will not grant championship points until a breed graduates from the FSS or even the AKC Miscellaneous class into full breed recognition, a process which takes many generations.[6]

In all breed registries, conformation championship points are awarded only at formal dog shows. In early 2006, the IPDBA official website does not indicate that any IPDBA-sponsored shows have been held since the group was founded in 1996, or are scheduled for the future. There are no posted show rules, show schedules, or show results.

Furthermore, the IPDBA Registration Rules permit the registration of non-purebred dogs so long as the dogs are going to be used as foundation stock for a new breed.[7] Thus, if an entrepreneur wished to attempt to create a non-shedding arctic dog by crossing Poodles and Malamutes, the IPDBA would accept these first-generation "Poolamutes" as foundation stock for a recognized "breed," and would grant Poolamute championships in the fourth generation. In contrast, most traditional breed registries consider "-poo" and "peke-" and similar constructions to be commercially-inspired mongrelizations of the Poodle, Pekingese, and other purebreds targeted for cross-breeding so that the resulting mixed-breed puppies can be marketed as so-called designer dogs.

This is some info I googled Seems most anything purebred or not can be registered. Sounds like it something you would want to pass on. There are too many good dogs to choose from to take a chance on one you know little about.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:09 pm

History
The International Progressive Breeders' Alliance, IPBA, was founded in 1996. IPBA is composed of three subsidiary animal registries, the IPDBA for dogs, the IPCBA for cats, and the IPEBA, intended for non-domestic exotics, which may include wolves, lynxes, lions, and other wild species.

The IPDBA, like the other two IPBA subsidiaries, is made up of chartered breed or species associations which have full control over their breed or species standard. As of early 2006, three of the dog breeds the IPDBA recognizes are affiliated with IPDBA-chartered breed associations.

The stated purposes of the IPBA, applicable to all three of its subsidiaries including the IPBDA, are:

to provide "creative freedom" to breeders to develop new breeds and preserve old breed lines "as they wish without interference from registries." The IPBDA acknowledges any registrations accepted by its member breed clubs, without further oversight. The IPBDA does not administer and revise breed standards. This is left to the member breed clubs.
to provide a means of international networking among members of each subsidiary animal registry (dogs, cats, exotic non-domestic species including canids and felids).
to unite breeders to work together to protect all breeds of animals and their hobby from restrictive legislation.
The reference to restrictive legislation likely includes breed-specific legislation and bans on hybridizing domesticated animals with wild canids and felids, or bans on owning such hybrids, or bans owning non-domestic species whether purebred or crossed with other wild species, such as ligers.

[edit] Registrations
The IPDBA's breed recognition rules[4] are much more open to accepting breeds which are now in development than the major kennel clubs and nearly all breed clubs. After three generations of registered reproduction within the breed or breed group, the IPDBA states it will offer championship points to dogs from these newly-developed or re-created breeds.

Granting fourth-generation breed championships is a considerably more rapid process than found in traditional breed clubs and kennel clubs, which generally require a significant amount of time accumulating and registering the foundation stock, and a closed stud book. For example, the AKC does not permit breeds to enter its Foundation Stock Service, which tracks pedigrees prior to the closing of the stud book, unless the breed club can show documentation of the "distinct breed over a period of many decades."[5] Even with that much history, the AKC will not grant championship points until a breed graduates from the FSS or even the AKC Miscellaneous class into full breed recognition, a process which takes many generations.[6]

In all breed registries, conformation championship points are awarded only at formal dog shows. In early 2006, the IPDBA official website does not indicate that any IPDBA-sponsored shows have been held since the group was founded in 1996, or are scheduled for the future. There are no posted show rules, show schedules, or show results.

Furthermore, the IPDBA Registration Rules permit the registration of non-purebred dogs so long as the dogs are going to be used as foundation stock for a new breed.[7] Thus, if an entrepreneur wished to attempt to create a non-shedding arctic dog by crossing Poodles and Malamutes, the IPDBA would accept these first-generation "Poolamutes" as foundation stock for a recognized "breed," and would grant Poolamute championships in the fourth generation. In contrast, most traditional breed registries consider "-poo" and "peke-" and similar constructions to be commercially-inspired mongrelizations of the Poodle, Pekingese, and other purebreds targeted for cross-breeding so that the resulting mixed-breed puppies can be marketed as so-called designer dogs.

This is some info I googled Seems most anything purebred or not can be registered. Sounds like it something you would want to pass on. There are too many good dogs to choose from to take a chance on one you know little about.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

itsmyturtle

Post by itsmyturtle » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Yup.. read the same thing ezzy.. I forgot to mention the dog is also registered NLSA which I understand has more stricker rules rules as far as he breed goes than the FDSB... Am I to understand to that a IPDBA dog can compete in NSTR trials? Not sure but I think I read that once.
A rock and a hard place I guess...
itsmyturtle

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 pm

No the dog would not be able to run NSTRA. To run NSTRA the dog has to be AKC FDSB CKC or NSTRA registered

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:02 pm

I know of no such "stricter" requirements, other than perhaps mandatory microchipping for LSA.

On edit: (See knines post following on NSTRA.)

I'm biassed, but I would recommend you stick to FDSB dogs. And go to a reputable breeder.

As for your other questions: No the dog can't be FDSB registered. No any litters can't be FDSB registered. FDSB has recognized the Llewellin for over a hundred years, that is the importance- FDSB is a historical, established registry. Llewellins were chartered into LSA/IPDBA because a certain breeder would not meet FDSB requirements after they were suspended for three years. That is why all FDSB Llewellins have to have DNA verified parentage now. She cannot be competed in AKC tests or trials because she won't be able to be registered ES, from FDSB, nor will she be able to compete in any AF recognized trials. No, IPDBA is not common; AKC and FDSB are desirable in most US dogs. It's probably cheaper than FDSB dogs, but that depends on the breeder I guess. I would look into their breeding goals and yours, especially if you're this new to this yet worried about prices of your dog's puppies.

Hope that helps answer your questions.
Last edited by rockllews on Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:21 pm

I can guarantee that these will not be NSTRA registerable nor will be qualified to run in any NSTRA trials
Sorry but they would have to be from the ones that were NSTRA registered and from the way it sounds these are not
this is a quote from the NSTRA rules www.nstra.org
b. A dog must be eligible to be registered with a recognized registry to enter any NSTRA trial.
1. NSTRA recognizes the NSTRA, AKC, FDSB, and CKC registries. However, regardless of which
registry is used, the dog must be eligible to be registered in the NSTRA registry as a recognized
pointing dog breed to be entered in any NSTRA trial.
King got some dogs NSTRA registered and only those that he did and breedings from those that were kept up on litter registration and NSTRA reg are NSTRA registered other then that they would have to be as above AKC FDSB or CKC

so if you have any inclination to trial go with a dog that is AKC FDSB registered there are plenty of quality breedings out there with paper work that is not questionable

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:37 pm

kninebirddog wrote:King got some dogs NSTRA registered and only those that he did and breedings from those that were kept up on litter registration and NSTRA reg are NSTRA registered other then that they would have to be as above AKC FDSB or CKC

so if you have any inclination to trial go with a dog that is AKC FDSB registered there are plenty of quality breedings out there with paper work that is not questionable
Thanks for the correction Arlette. Do you know how he got some of them NSTRA registered? I first noticed him advertising NSTRA about a year ago and was frankly surprised. Wasn't sure about NSTRA policy.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:54 pm

from what I can gather this was done prior to his being completely suspended from FDSB and he had enrolled a good handful of dogs and the pedigrees and then those dogs he did get in he did get NSTRA registered he maintained by doing the litter registrations ...

but from what i could tell he only did some select dogs after that he just mainly did that ipdga cause it was easier for him...

I just did not want itsmyturtle to get a pup thinking they may be able to run some trials with a registry that i personally do not know anyone else recognizes and NSTRA well that one I do know for sure :wink:

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:02 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what did this guy do to get suspended?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:55 pm

if you go to his web site it explains a bit of it
but it had to do something with the DNA or lack of proof of one of his breeding stock

i am sure there is some one reading this that is well hearsed as to the how and why his dogs are no longer regs with FDSB

itsmyturtle

Post by itsmyturtle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:16 am

Thanks all.. I read till I was blue last night and was still even mpore confused. What puzzled me was some IPDBA dogs had competed in NSTRA trials. And they were registered as NSTRA dogs. So I assumed that IPDBA dogs were accepted to the NSTRA trials. Thanks for the explanation. I also read a great deal about Mr King and the FDSB events that brought some Llewellin's not to be reg. with FDSB and are now reg with IPDBA.. ver interesting soap opera type stuff.. Hope one day it all gets resolved. Thanks again all.
itsmyturtle

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 am

The dogs that were run in NSTRA were dual registered IPDBA and NSTRA and again they were listed during the time they had FDSB numbers

You can go under the www.nstra.org and look under dog records under registration name just put KING and hit search you will see that they have a NSTRA numbers

hope that makes sense

itsmyturtle

Post by itsmyturtle » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:51 am

Yup,, thanks makes sence to me now. Appreciate all the responce to my questions..
SYITF
itsmyturtle

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Thu May 30, 2013 7:26 pm

The 'stink' as I understand it was in regards to his IrishKing Bondhu Ashley. His father was straight out of Llewellin's kennel and his mother was straight out of Father Brannon's. So you can see there was obviously a dna problem.

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:03 am

Further, do you really want to chase your dog around on a horse to possibly win a trophy?

And spend $10,000 on trainers for a dog that just really doesn't have it?

I own a IPDBA dog, and although I have nothing good to say about the vision ability of the registrar, BUT I won't need to spend a dime on 'trainers'.

As to any story, there are two sides. It is well known that people in the FDSB were jealous about the success of King's dogs.

99% of the FDSB dogs aren't going to win trophies. Do you want one of those?

Have fun!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:32 am

TonyS wrote:Further, do you really want to chase your dog around on a horse to possibly win a trophy?

And spend $10,000 on trainers for a dog that just really doesn't have it?

I own a IPDBA dog, and although I have nothing good to say about the vision ability of the registrar, BUT I won't need to spend a dime on 'trainers'.

As to any story, there are two sides. It is well known that people in the FDSB were jealous about the success of King's dogs.

99% of the FDSB dogs aren't going to win trophies. Do you want one of those?

Have fun!

What is that noise??? Methinks I hear the sound of an axe being ground.. No...no... I was wrong...it is someone's ox being gored. :lol: :lol:

Those that have dogs that can compete...often do.

Those that have dogs that CANNOT compete...often bitch, moan and complain.

Personally I ain't seen a llewellin setter in a field trial in the last 15 years...and I have been to a bunch. that is not their strong suit. They are much more of a hunting dog.

I am sure there are some nice llews avaialable today. Years back, I saw some that I would have enjoyed hunting over, but they would have not been competitive in AF field trials, either walking or horseback. I would say that a few of the dogs I saw could have been competitive AKC gundogs.

If that is what you are looking for...outstanding. There is not only nothing wrong with that...there is a whole lot that is right with it.

RayG

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:36 am

TonyS wrote:Further, do you really want to chase your dog around on a horse to possibly win a trophy?
Actually yes I do. I find it to be great fun.
TonyS wrote:99% of the FDSB dogs aren't going to win trophies. Do you want one of those?

No I don't. I want one that is capable of winning that trophy. They cost the same to feed.
TonyS wrote:Have fun!

Always do...you do the same, hopefully without having the need to demean and denigrate how another chooses to enjoy their dogs.

RayG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:06 pm

You guys know this thread is 5 years old, doncha? :lol: :lol:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Yeah I did see that. I cannot fathom someone hanging on to a one year old thread, much less one this old.

It is amazing to me the lengths that some will go to demean the ways others choose to enjoy their dogs.

Sad.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:06 pm

Not sure Tony S is sure of what he is doing. He just threatened to leave the forum for another one if we kept moderating his posts. I just hope he learns what and how to act on here.

Ezzy

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:43 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Not sure Tony S is sure of what he is doing. He just threatened to leave the forum for another one if we kept moderating his posts. I just hope he learns what and how to act on here.

Ezzy
That is pretty funny actually. I think you are fairly laid back most of the time, as long as no one is discussing dogfood(JUST KIDDING!!)

My current thought process goes something like. .."and don't let the screen door hit you in the A$$ on the way out, y'all."

But then I'm just a crusty old fart with a bad attitude and a slightly warped sense of humor.

I guess it is a good thing I am not a moderator. Heck...I'd probably ban me! :lol: :lol:

RayG

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 pm

You & me both Ray!! :lol: :P

TonyS

Post by TonyS » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:48 pm

Ezzy, now I understand why people laugh when I mention this website.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Tony, the thread is now 6 years old and about 3 or 4 thousand members ago that aren't laughing................ tell us how many are. Good to see ya back, knew you couldn't stay away.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Tony, the thread is now 6 years old and about 3 or 4 thousand members ago that aren't laughing................ tell us how many are. Good to see ya back, knew you couldn't stay away.

Hi TonyS -

I'm still here too. Hope you are well. :D :D

How's it going with the IPBA? Don't hear much about them...but then I am not into Labradoodles or Cockapoos. I do have a question for you. Does that registry sanction any field trials or record any placements?

RayG

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 pm

Yep there are many of us that are still here