Reference articles for kids and hunting

Luke's Guide

Reference articles for kids and hunting

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:38 am

I want to take my 4 year old out to the club before it closes this spring and show him, responsibly, what it is all about.

Please don't ask me why but I need some articles that are more articulate than I apparently am for the benefits of taking a young one hunting.

The only references that I have been able to find online are from forums. They won't cut it.

Aye ya yi.

Bob
aka Bob

DoubleB20

Re: Reference articles for kids and hunting

Post by DoubleB20 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:11 am

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for but, Texas Parks and Wildlife has a Youth Hunter Program. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hu ... t_program/

http://www.tyhp.org/

I usually guide upland hunting for them once or twice a year. Excellent Program. Maybe something there meets what you're looking for.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 am

Check with NRA. They have a terrific youth training program.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm looking more for getting kids in the field at an early age. Even before they can do a youth hunt. Like walking along with me at age 4.

Everything I find has to do with actual hunting and hunter education courses. We're not quite there yet. Age wise.

I'm looking for something that supports my argument of learning ecology and conservation as well as just spending more time together. I know there has to be something out there I just can't locate it.

Bob
aka Bob

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:30 pm

what i would be looking for at that age is things he may be interested in and also more of a dog kid relationship, obviously the firearms are out at that age so maybe the retrieving part would be fun for him? a good relationship between a toddler and dog can really be powerful!

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Viking,

Yeah, we have all that going on right now. My 4 year old really gets a kick out of watching my gsp point when she is mousing in the field out back.

When I bring a pheasant home my son really enjoys holding it and looking a all the cool colored feathers.

Without getting too into it, I'm just getting some opposition about taking it to the next step. I'm at the bird club A LOT so this is just some concern coming from someone who was not brought up in a hunting/shooting family.

Thanks guys.

Bob
aka Bob

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:26 pm

so this is just some concern coming from someone who was not brought up in a hunting/shooting family.
sorry to hear that but do know us hunters will stick with ya as we seem to be a dying breed.

vikings269

Post by vikings269 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:33 pm

growing up in the 80's really sucked for me as i started out trapping and ya had folks like madonna bashing the fur trade, i took 74 coon one year while still in high school and almost half of them werent baught at all and the ones baught were about $5, i got a few $10 but nothing like the early 80;s when coon were $60 and red fox were $90, my red fox also were $5 or nothing, i made the best money on muskrats, lol

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:54 pm

I did a quick google, and I don't know if any of these might be helpful. It is hard to find anything about having young children tag along.

http://www.responsivemanagement.com/dow ... Hyouth.pdf

http://www.versuscountry.com/itemdetail.aspx?id=330

I have a friend who started both his boys young into hunting. Just a couple weeks ago we all went out shed hunting, which was neat scouting turkey tracks, rubs, and everything along the way. The youngest son will by 6 in May, and my friend carried him in a backpack sling when he was a toddler, while the father was scouting habitat and tree stand locations. The older son, now 13, use to go along and sit in the turkey blind when he was little. Most of the time he fell asleep :D , but there was still value to be had in the time spent gearing up, choosing a spot, setting up, calling--before he curled up and his eyes closed. Both boys, with the help of an adult also started shooting young. We all went to the range last fall, and I paired up with the five year old, as we took turns shooting a 22. We went through every step from ear protection, loading, gun safety, proper position at the table, down range protocol, etc. There was nothing better than hearing him parrot back what I had told him and putting the safety on after his last shot. Not everything sunk in, but with guidance, we had a great time and it will be a stepping stone. He helped load clays too--with a minimum of breakage. :roll: He went 3D bowshooting with us last fall too, and I am guessing will be a regular shooter (peewee :lol: ) in 2009. There is so much more to be learned from hunting than just killing.....and I think it has a lot more to do with proper introduction/education than age. Just my 2 cents. Denise

5 years and 3 months--we don't have to worry about him outscoring us yet! :lol:

Luke's Guide

Post by Luke's Guide » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:55 pm

Thanks Wems,

I have been doing a lot of searching and don't know why those links didn't come up.

B
aka Bob