Dog and busy lifestyle

texasaggie

Dog and busy lifestyle

Post by texasaggie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:10 pm

Howdy all,

I'm a student in college, hence the screen name; I'm a senior at Texas A&M. I grew up around German Shorthairs, and I'm considering getting one for myself, my first. While I don't doubt that I have the time to care for the needs of the dog, and my roomates want a dog worse than I do, I'm still thinking this over very carefully since it is no small decision. My rent house won't allow a pup, but I can have a young dog. I've read lots of articles aimed at new dog owners but few address the subject of owning a dog and carrying on with life. Most of us have day jobs correct? My thinking is that if I'm going to own a dog now is the time since I can't see myself having any more time once I graduate in 2010.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Cullen Parker

WildRose

Re: Dog and busy lifestyle

Post by WildRose » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:21 pm

Dogs aren't furniture, they require time and attention. They also require some consideration. Loud all night parties with tons of people coming and going won't do your dog any good.

If you just want a pet, something to pass the time with during the occasional lull, head for the pound.

If you want a great birddog to also be a companion and are willing to put in the time and effort and necessary adjustments to your lifestyle, then by all means get yourself a GSP and welcome to the family. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I'm a college student, and it is difficult to find those hours out of the day...but I do, no matter what. Being an older college student I don't live that stereo-type lifestyle that WildRose mentioned; but I do fall into another stereotype that you briefly touched on: living situations. Remember, we're not permanent people yet. I'm leaving to take a 6 month position with the Forest Service as I'll be finished in a week. What am I to do with my dog? I have to work out all sorts of new living situations.
Put yourself in those shoes, if you won't have that problem and you can make a descent time commitment to your dog every day, you should be fine.
Cheers!
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Dogs are a big commitment.. Especially Gundogs. They have a insane amount of energy, and that requires alot of time EVERY DAY to make them content. IF you don't, you'll be sorry because your house will look like godzilla ramsacked it, and they will make your backyard look like a moonscape. Trust me. :wink:

A little off subject, but when I was younger and more naive....
I once had someone tell me that 2 puppies was no different than having one. As a matter of fact, they said it would be easier than one, because it would have a playmate to play with and run all of its energy off with. WRONG!
I often thought of kicking that person in the babymaker several times for that line of BS! :lol:
2 just meant double the carnage, property damage, food, time, ect..

Just some things to think about. The fact that you are asking for advise BEFORE making a decison of this magnitude means mom and dad did well raising you thus far. So many kids would jump in without thinking it thru, and the situation most likely would end up disasterous.

Personally, I'd wait.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

texasaggie

Post by texasaggie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:53 pm

What you both have brought up is a very valid point. I guess college houses have a party type connotation associated with them. My home is no such place. I like things clean and quiet; I would hate to bring any dog into an environment that wasn't.

The heart of my question is to see how busy people balance their lives with their dogs.

texasaggie

Post by texasaggie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:10 pm

Thanks all for the response. I grew up on a farm/ranch around dogs and animals, and I just want to NOT be in a situation where the dog is put through something unfair. Actually I think I'm probably in as opprotune a position to take on a dog as I will ever be. I have a decent yard, a dog park 200 yards away, and several nearby parks with lakes etc to work with the dog. I just don't want to be naive about this, I realize it is no small decision, but I'm willing to put in what it takes to keep the dog happy.

Hearing that a fellow college student has a gun dog is encouraging as well.

Thanks for all your input an keep it coming by all means please!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:26 pm

It's like anything in life; you set your priorities and stick to them. Some other things may have to go to make time for pup.You have to really want it and all that goes with , MORE then some other things.Now you've found the time. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:53 pm

If it's something you really want, then you will be willing to wait until it's right. Because if it was the right time to get a dog now, you wouldn't have any concerns about it.

Peak

Post by Peak » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:03 pm

i know with me if i waited till the time was "right" i wouldn't have nothing in this life. you know your situation and you know what is possible so give yourself some credit. I am a college student with a mortgage to pay, 3 kids under 3, a wife to try and make happy. i've always managed bird dogs in the mix and honestly they are what helps me keep my sanity alot of the times. i've managed to train, hunt, and trial a little bit, and even used my bird dogs for work last summer. now i am about to graduate in may and hopefully start my graduate research this summer using my dogs on sage grouse. good luck!!!!!!!!!!

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:08 pm

Peak wrote:i know with me if i waited till the time was "right" i wouldn't have nothing in this life. you know your situation and you know what is possible so give yourself some credit. I am a college student with a mortgage to pay, 3 kids under 3, a wife to try and make happy. i've always managed bird dogs in the mix and honestly they are what helps me keep my sanity alot of the times. i've managed to train, hunt, and trial a little bit, and even used my bird dogs for work last summer. now i am about to graduate in may and hopefully start my graduate research this summer using my dogs on sage grouse. good luck!!!!!!!!!!

What I meant was... if you are not sure that you have the time and place for the dog, then wait til you know you do. It will make your experience with bird dogs a LOT better if you can spend time with it, and have a decent yard and comfortable living conditions. :)

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:32 pm

Owning a dog is not like owning a kid IMO. I work alot of hours right now also, my time is limited that I spend with my dogs. I try to get them out at least once during the week and once or twice on the weekends. Its tough, especially in this economy it forces me to work more hours for the same results. I just get bugged sometimes when I read different places that make it sound like if your are not constantly interacting with your dog your doing him an injustice. Get a dog, spend as much time as possible with him and enjoy the dog.

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:43 pm

I believe people can make things work if they are really committed. That being said, however, I just want to point out that your life is likely to change (perhaps significantly) over the course of the dog's life. Things that you are possibly (if not likely) to go through in the next 10-12 years:

1. Starting a new career (at least one)
2. Marriage
3. Children
4. Moving (probably 2 or more times)

I am not saying it can't be done; only that it restricts your other options in some ways. I personally waited until I was a little more settled in the above 4 categories, but that is just because I didn't think I could handle another stress agent. One thing I considered when I was contemplating getting a puppy right out of college was how much time I was actually spending in the field. I figured if I only had 10-15 days a year that I could really hunt, then I didn't have the time (or really the need) to train a bird dog. But like I said, it can be done if you are fairly settled and dedicated to the idea.

As far as managing a busy life with a dog, I think most people out there are in the same situation. I don't know that raising a puppy ever gets "easier", no matter where you are in your life. But IMO it helps if you don't have to worry about things like if it will be able to live in your new apartment, who is going to let it out when you are working a 10 hr day, whether it will bite your kids, etc. Good luck with your decision!

Just my .02,
Rob

Rob

Post by Rob » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:47 pm

3 kids under 3
Wow, really? My 2 are 18 mos apart and I thought I was going to go a little bananas there for a year or so. And I wasn't in college either.

Can't figure out what is causing that, there Peak :lol: ?

Rob

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:01 am

texasaggie wrote:Thanks all for the response. I grew up on a farm/ranch around dogs and animals, and I just want to NOT be in a situation where the dog is put through something unfair. Actually I think I'm probably in as opprotune a position to take on a dog as I will ever be. I have a decent yard, a dog park 200 yards away, and several nearby parks with lakes etc to work with the dog. I just don't want to be naive about this, I realize it is no small decision, but I'm willing to put in what it takes to keep the dog happy.

Hearing that a fellow college student has a gun dog is encouraging as well.

Thanks for all your input an keep it coming by all means please!
So far certainly sounds encouraging. Over the years I've sold several dogs to Aggies and even some of "those guys" from Tech.

Just like when the right woman comes into your life if you are ready to commit the time, training, resources etc to the dog you and the dog will have an enjoyable and rewarding relationship.

They way you balance it all is by setting priorities. If your priority is to have a great birddog and companion you'll have to put in the necessary time and attention to get there.

The one thing you really need to keep in mind is that a good shorthair requires a lot more exercise to be happy than the average lap dog. That means more exercise than a thirty minute walk twice a day plus an occasional trip to the dog park. Dog parks by the way are nothing but a great place for your dog to pick up all sorts of parasites, diseases, and bad habits. If you have a way to get out of town and run the dog on someones farm/ranch for an hour or so two or three times per week, plus lots of backyard play time odds are good you can keep him/her happy.
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

bobman

Post by bobman » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:05 am

I had way more free time as a college student then I do now I would do it, I would also look at north Texas GSP rescue some real nic dogs come through there
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Peak

Post by Peak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 am

Wow, really? My 2 are 18 mos apart and I thought I was going to go a little bananas there for a year or so
i finally let my wife talk me into another one and what-da-ya-know twins come out. there will always be room for bird dogs though :D

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:41 am

My wife and I decided to get a dog when we found out she was pregnant a few years ago. We were both out of school and working different schedules and felt it was the right time. Our pup has really been a great addition to our family though it does require a lot of commitment. I recently returned to school (Utah State as well) to work on my masters and we had to search pretty hard to find a place that would rent at a fair price that was a good neighboorhood and would allow pets.

The joy that dog brings to our home is unbeilivable and my wife has been converted into a dog lover. I watched her turn from a person afraid of dogs to someone who could not get to sleep unless the pup was curled up next to her. My daughter wakes up from her naps and starts screaming not mommy or daddy but Arrow and the dog comes up to her. Gun dogs require a ton of work but the return is much more than the investment.

Watching the pup hunt is also a huge reeward.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Peak:

That is a beautiful picture. I am a long ways from Utah. How far from cities would that kind of terrain be?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:17 pm

I am not sure where the pic peak took was but out in most parts of Utah you can drive a few miles (less than 5) and start hiking into remote areas. You can also drive a bit more (10 to 40) and get out into the wilderness.

Civilization is found in the valleys but the mountains remain mostly untamed except for the occasional ski resort.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:21 pm

Hey there, I'm in college right now, too, and while I haven't had any of my dogs here with me yet, I am planning on bringing our newest pup along next year (my senior year :D). For the past two years, I've been going home frequently to get my "dog fix" but it's a four hour drive (one way, driving fast).... just isn't the same and training is obviously limited.

It sounds like you have this thought out and I bet you'll make it work if it's what you want. Like others have said, it's just a matter of priorities. You've gotten good advice. One other thing to consider is what you'll do with the dog should it not work out right now (temporary or unforeseen circumstances)... maybe talk to your parents or any close hunting friends if they would be willing to take the dog if something comes up. Or talk to the breeder and see if returning it is a possibility.

Good luck! :D

Peak

Post by Peak » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:41 pm

That is a beautiful picture. I am a long ways from Utah. How far from cities would that kind of terrain be?
. Texscala hit it on the head. You don't have to be far from the city to get "wild." For that picture though I was way out of any city. I actually took the pic where I was working last summer looking into where I have deer hunted for the last 20 years.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:54 pm

rockllews wrote:Hey there, I'm in college right now, too, and while I haven't had any of my dogs here with me yet, I am planning on bringing our newest pup along next year (my senior year :D). For the past two years, I've been going home frequently to get my "dog fix" but it's a four hour drive (one way, driving fast).... just isn't the same and training is obviously limited.
rockllews... aren't you a gal? Maybe you and Texasaggie should exchange facebook info (isn't that what y'all do these days?). Maybe there's a match made in heaven.

Gary

h.q.s

Post by h.q.s » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Well that's not ackward :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:
Just kiddin!!

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:32 am

I bought my first shorthair when I was 18 and had her all through college (undergrad and professional school), though it was hard at times it can definitely be done. I agree with Bobm, I had more free time when I was in college than I do now. I had more hours off in a week during college than I do in a month now. I think if you are willing to make a time commitment to the dog it can be done. That will mean sacrificing going out some nights, or weekend trips..etc. Skipping going out for a beer after the big test because you have to go spend some time with the dog..etc..I think you get the drift. The biggest problem I ran into was I was dirt poor during college, and don't forget dogs aren't cheap to own or train. Vet bills can easily skyrocket into thousands of dollars, thankfully I never had any problems with mine.

john

Post by john » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:11 pm

It has been my personal experience, that I had far more free time in college than I currently have. It is a cliché, but for the majority of people, college will be one the easiest points in their life.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:28 pm

Kids and dogs really tie you down. Line up sitters you can trust or plan to take them with you whenever you want or need to go anywhere for any extended period of time.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:37 pm

[quote="gar-dog]rockllews... aren't you a gal? Maybe you and Texasaggie should exchange facebook info (isn't that what y'all do these days?). Maybe there's a match made in heaven.

Gary[/quote]

:lol: :wink: Thanks for the suggestion, Gary!!! Too bad I don't do Facebook.... :cry:

texasaggie

Post by texasaggie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 pm

HAHAHA!!!

Well I have to say that I've been on a few forums, and I have never had half the response on others as I have here, and I'd like to thank everyone for that. There are some dogs locally that I'm looking at and if one strikes me I'm gonna take 'em. I value everyone's opinion and ya'll had some really good thoughts, I just wanted someone to play devil's advocate for a minute.

And Rockwell, whatever you do, take it from me, STAY AWAY FROM FACEBOOK!! It is evil, I have a profile, and while I check it maybe once a week, I really wish I hadn't started one, and now I'm afraid to cut off contact with all my friends that don't want to take the time to have an actual coversation with me. See what I mean, total sillyness

Thanks everybody!!