MICRO CHIP

dustinweim

MICRO CHIP

Post by dustinweim » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:18 pm

how much dose a micro chip cost to be put in?

Fireside

Re: MICRO CHIP

Post by Fireside » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 pm

I pay about $10 each and put them in myself.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 pm

should be pretty cheap, and yeah you can do it yourself. Otherwise if you have one of those petsmart or petco whatever stores sometimes they offer a weekend rabies/vaccine/chip clinic for cheap. The vet will ream you, though.

EDIT: forgot to add that when I worked at the County Animal Regulation Authority in Eugene we found that there was some incongruity in those chip manufacturers and readers. I don't know the specifics--maybe Rockwell can add, I think she works at a local shelter--but there were different manufacturers that don't show up on our scanner, and we supposedly had the best available to us. Make sure you ask about that at least, it would be a shame for your dog to have a chip and get picked up but nobody knows about it.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

I asked my vet this question yesterday. He said $30 to put it in and about $14 to register.

Adam Dahlstrom

Post by Adam Dahlstrom » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Just had it done. Cost me $35 per dog. Any pros or cons with micro chip compaired to tattoo? My wire has both and my shorthair just the chip.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm

I had both my dogs done by the vet. $36.oo for the chip and I registered the chip myself for $12-14 I reserched the various chips and the Avid seemed the more widely available/used, but that was a couple years ago. Never looked into the do-it-yourself method.
Don't quote me on this, but I seem to remember the Avid was able to be read with Canadian scanners which could be beneficial if your dog ends up over the border.
Bill L.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:28 pm

That's a little cheaper than the $80 I was quoted on Monday by a vet here in the KC area. :roll:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:19 pm

There has always been some controversy about planting an electronic device such as a chip near living tissue. This is not dissimilar to the issues bantered about regarding cell phone transmission near one's head. I'm not aware of a definitive study proving a positive link between a chip and cancer in a canine. However, this is one reason why some people prefer tattooing, just to be on the safe side.

My dogs are chipped.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Mark, I've heard some similar hesitations about microchipping, too, but I haven't found any solid information either on it. We chip our dogs. It may not be as visible as tattooing, but tags on the collars help in that respect. I also like that there are databases available that hold contact information.

Dustin, The price is going to vary widely. We live in a rural city/town and the clinic we prefer is in about the middle ground as far as scaling from city-vets to country-vets go. Our vets used to charge $40 for the implant BEFORE their recent price increase. I suspect it's closer to $50-60 now, not counting the registration fee with the database company. They implant HomeAgain chips and the database fee for AKC CAR is something less than or around $20.

As far as readers go, shelters and vet clinics are supposed to be universal readers that can pick up the data from all chips. Here's an article I just did a search for- haven't had time to read it all though: http://home.att.net/~rfid/pet-chip.htm I know the readers at our vets clinics can pick up AVID and HomeAgain chips since we've had dogs with both.

Chelsea

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:09 pm

BigShooter wrote:There has always been some controversy about planting an electronic device such as a chip near living tissue. This is not dissimilar to the issues bantered about regarding cell phone transmission near one's head. I'm not aware of a definitive study proving a positive link between a chip and cancer in a canine. However, this is one reason why some people prefer tattooing, just to be on the safe side.

My dogs are chipped.

The chip itself is not electronic, it is only when the reader is passed over it that it absorbs energy and reflects it back. I would think twice about implanting a device with a power source, but since the chip itself is inert and my dogs are only scanned once or twice a year at the very most, I opted to go ahead and start chipping a couple of years ago.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:19 pm

Folks,

You can do your own research and decide for yourselves. This is a copy of an earlier post in another thread about micro chips.

Re: Micro Chip Identification
by rhines on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm

I personally would not microchip my dog at this point in time. I work with RFID chips in a highly FDA regulated field and we are currently not allowed to use RFID technology around any biological products, such as vaccines, which are chemically synthesized products that are derived from living sources such as humans, animals, and microorganisms.
Applying this to living things - such as dogs - 8 out of 11 studies found evidence for a link, as malignant tumors (often sarcomas, which affect connective tissue) developed near the area of the chip in many of the animals. Albrecht concluded that the three studies that did not find this evidence were "deeply flawed" as they failed to either test a large enough population of animals or for a long enough period of time (source: http://www.antichips.com/cancer/albrech ... nopsis.pdf)

Just go with the tatoo at this point if you must._______________________________________________________________________
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1493
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

dustinweim

Post by dustinweim » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:07 pm

how much does tatooing cost and where to get it the ear or thigh

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Here's the previous micro chip thread: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=16465&st=0&sk=t&sd ... micro+chip

If one of the folks who said they tattoo (on the original thread) doesn't repond to this thread send them a PM.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM