trainer question

redneckdds

trainer question

Post by redneckdds » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:10 am

I just sent my dog to the "trainer" for 1 month for the 1st time.... he is a 6month old gsp. How many days of that month should I expect him to get training/attention, in your opinion? $700/month

WildRose

Re: trainer question

Post by WildRose » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:41 am

$700/month
You've got to be kidding! For that kind of money I hope you have a clearly written training plan and guarantees. As for how much work the dog should get what did the trainer tell you he/she'd be getting? Such things should be discussed well before the dog leaves home.
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:55 am

Your sending a puppy >>>>>

Are you expecting a broke dog cause of the price...you will be setting the poor puppy up for some serious pressure if this is the plan...

at 6 months old I would expect intro work to field birds and the gun and we have a 6-8 week program all fun beginning learning check cord work ...I wouldn't consider doing anything more then that and taking the chance to burn a baby out before desire and development has matured
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:38 am

If that puppy isn't getting worked five days a week, you're being fleeced. Six months would be a puppy development program, not training.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:40 am

That trainer must really know his stuff and have the full day spa for the pups and he should be spoon feeding him. :wink:
Does that include birds or do you pay extra for that?
I would be talking to him ASAP to disscuss this. (You don't need your dog broke now and certainly not a lot of pressure.) One month is about enough time for basics and bird intro and gun intro. IMO such be it.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:29 am

How many folks on here have boarded a dog for a month? What did that cost and how much training did you get with that?

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:58 am

slistoe wrote:How many folks on here have boarded a dog for a month? What did that cost and how much training did you get with that?
When sending a dog for training it is $140 per week and boarding is included. Only thing NOT included is birds killed over my dog. Homers are free...

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 am

redneckdds wrote:I just sent my dog to the "trainer" for 1 month for the 1st time.... he is a 6month old gsp. How many days of that month should I expect him to get training/attention, in your opinion? $700/month
Just ask the trainer what his plan or program is.. It's not always how much they are worked but what gets done when they are worked, but it takes regular work to advance the dogs. As far as prices go I find that different in different parts of the country.

Mo

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:18 am

Maurice wrote:
redneckdds wrote:I just sent my dog to the "trainer" for 1 month for the 1st time.... he is a 6month old gsp. How many days of that month should I expect him to get training/attention, in your opinion? $700/month
Just ask the trainer what his plan or program is.. It's not always how much they are worked but what gets done when they are worked, but it takes regular work to advance the dogs. As far as prices go I find that different in different parts of the country.

Mo
6 month old puppy, worked 6 days a week, basic introduction to birds(pigeons and bobwhite), basic yard work and introduction to gunfire, for $600.
Puppy came back fairly steady to shot. She would chase about 2 seconds after the shot was fired, she still runs fairly big (I wanted her as a gundog), her style is still improving.
I've been completing her training as the economy has gotten a hold of my wallet. If that wasn't the case, I'd be sending her for another two months this year at 18 months old. I still might.
Did the trainer put pressure on her to obey everytime, No. He believes in letting the dog teach itself.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:35 am

Sli: Point taken and noted.
Boarding $360 to $450.00 per month. No training
Birds Priceless.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

sfellc

Post by sfellc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:58 pm

although my dogs are spaniels, the first bit of time at the trainers might be the same. The couple that I have sent at this age generally are on the bench learning obedience, check cord, some light intro to birds, and a little retrieving work. Not much pressure at all. They work with the dogs 6 days a week, and times each day range for 20 min to 2 hours. The trainers dont give up with the dog until they have a handle on what they are supposed to be doing, and do it several times correctly in a row, or atleast heading in the general direction of being right. If the dogs resist or are goofing off, training continues until they give in, i guess you could say. I pay roughly that per month, no birds included. At that age I wouldn't expect there would be many birds. I would guess that for a bird dog, you might end up with 3 or 4 months training with your dog. Mine run in trials so are training off and on all through the year, other than my time hunting with them. No wonder all my hair fell out after I got my sixth dog.
Crosswinds Ragin' Sage, SH
Crosswinds Northwoods Beauty of T5R9
Crosswinds Itch'n to Go
Sunrise White Lightning of Wildwinds
CFC Sunrise Little Rascal
1 Black Dog
Tri-Tronics Influentials Club

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:11 pm

Very few trainers in Ontario so they are able to charge $1000. a month.
Boarding ( no training) is $35/ a day.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Seems kind of young to be breaking to wing and shot JMO
3Britts wrote:
Maurice wrote:

Mo
6 month old puppy, worked 6 days a week, basic introduction to birds(pigeons and bobwhite), basic yard work and introduction to gunfire, for $600.
Puppy came back fairly steady to shot. She would chase about 2 seconds after the shot was fired, she still runs fairly big (I wanted her as a gundog), her style is still improving.
I've been completing her training as the economy has gotten a hold of my wallet. If that wasn't the case, I'd be sending her for another two months this year at 18 months old. I still might.
Did the trainer put pressure on her to obey everytime, No. He believes in letting the dog teach itself.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Birddogger,

A dog breaks when it breaks. The pups was standing birds in my back yard before he went to the trainer. Not for very long but standing the wild quail that ran the weed beds that border my fence. As Dave Walker says, don't tell a dog its still a puppy unless you want it to run like a puppy. She just needed to be introduced to gunfire.

redneckdds

Post by redneckdds » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 pm

well... I asked for it and yall gave it to me, so thanks for everyones responses... I do think the $$$ is higher then I would like, but where do you draw the line? The guy works with a lot of field trial dogs and I feel he is well respected among those I have talked to... the price includes training, boarding, birds, etc. Seems like a few of the other folks that 'train' were flaky, so I went with this guy.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:33 am

3Britts wrote:Birddogger,

3Britts, I am sorry if I sounded critical. I certainly didn't intend it that way. Every dog is different and I think it is great that a 6mo. old is that far along. Sounds like it is going to be a really good dog. Maybe my post was so short that it was taken wrong. Again, no offense intended. :roll:

A dog breaks when it breaks. The pups was standing birds in my back yard before he went to the trainer. Not for very long but standing the wild quail that ran the weed beds that border my fence. As Dave Walker says, don't tell a dog its still a puppy unless you want it to run like a puppy. She just needed to be introduced to gunfire.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:34 am

There are some that are pretty good we have a few near us that put to much pressure on young dogs quite a few end up flagging pretty bad. Hope this trainer works with the dog not just a cookie cutter program which leaves the slower dogs on the back burner

good luck let us know how you pup is when you get him back
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 am

birddogger wrote:
3Britts wrote:Birddogger,

3Britts, I am sorry if I sounded critical. I certainly didn't intend it that way. Every dog is different and I think it is great that a 6mo. old is that far along. Sounds like it is going to be a really good dog. Maybe my post was so short that it was taken wrong. Again, no offense intended. :roll:

Birddogger,

I wasn't offended in the least. Please don't take it that way. And, I don't mind critical, that is how we learn. I Just wanted to explain. I should say that the pup was 6 months old when she went to the trainer, 8 months when she came back. Dave does some pretty phenominal things with birddogs. In fact, I talked with him yesterday and will be sending her back to him for another spot of training this Summer. He should be able to finish her off. Then I just need to maintain.
To the orininal poster: if you feel comfortable with the trainer, it is money well spent.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:07 pm

Redneck,

If you need the training help and get the results you are looking for, it will be money well spent. Without spending some money on professional training my dog and I would be in a mess. Like anything, prices vary with location, quality, etc. I know I got more value out of what I spent on dog training than I will ever get out of what I pay in taxes!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:34 pm

3Britts, thanks for your reply. It makes sense to me now that you explained it. What I don't understand is why my post came out in a big bold format. Also, I apologize to everyone for getting off subject of the origanal thread. I am new at this forum thing. :oops: