The Right Training DVD

jhaus

The Right Training DVD

Post by jhaus » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:05 pm

I need some help picking out a good training DVD. At $50 - $100 a pop I don't have the luxury of trying them all out.
I have a 6 month Weim and live and hunt in North Dakota (The terrain is CRP, corn, wheat, millet, tree rows, prairie and we will be hunting upland game --pheasant). I would really like to whistle train my dog. This is my first hunting dog and would like to do the training myself. Is there a DVD that fits my needs? I am also interested in the pros and cons of whistle training. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--HAUS

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: The Right Training DVD

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:18 pm

I would take the money and go watch some trials and see if there is a bird dog club near you

hands on is better see peoples dogs which one you like and more important see what you do not like and then find out which method works for you and go with that one
As for whistle training

Sorry I have offered to stick whistles in dog poop and hand the back to owners cause they over used them
they have a place but I all to often see owners/handlers want to quarter and control everything a dog does in the field to the point they miss birds cause the quarter a dog before an objective to hunt
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Meller

Post by Meller » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:20 pm

There is some in the Gun Dog magazine; and also you might want to try E-Bay they have some reasonable there. There is a lot of good one's out there, perfect start perfect finish,
George Hickox just to mention a couple. :)

jhaus

Post by jhaus » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:26 pm

Thanks,

I think I'm going to try perfect start / perfect finish.

Anyhow, alot of people say they will be whistle training their next dog and that is the only way to go. What I don't understand is---if your going to drop all this time and money into a 4 legged smelling machine why would you steer him all over the field with a whistle-- isn't that defeating his nose? Thats my take on it - but if anyone has pros I would like to hear them. Is it possible to have only a few whistle commands and still let the dog do most of the work? I'm still trying to find a style.

Now that it isn't -10 maybe I can get him outside for more than a bathroom break.

--HAUS

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:16 pm

Most people do just let the dog hunt for themselves calling it or whistling it when they turn or want the dog to come back. I havent seen anyone who walk around all day yelling "whoa" and whistling every time they want the dog to turn. They may be out there but I have never run into them.

I dont talk to the dog at all. I have him whistled trained and he will turn or whoa on command but he is the ones who knows where the birds are so I just let him work. If he gets behind me I stop and wait if it looks like he is birdy or working some cover we missed, after he is done I just hold my arm out where I want him and he goes.

My takes is to just shut up and let the dog work. Wild birds are my secret weapon when it comes to training a dog. Ive had a few judges and gunners comment on how well the dog did without me speaking a word to the dog.
"Line breed for consistancy and outcross for vigor."
Ridge-Point

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:28 pm

Sherry Ray has a pretty good Vid.