Just saying hello and asking a question

10r

Just saying hello and asking a question

Post by 10r » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:38 am

Hi all... transfer from another forum where I lurked in the shadows... From Canada and am hoping to get a dog sometime this summer...

Quick question for anyone that can answer... I currently have allergies and have been taking shots for a few months now and must say that they are getting better... Basically I'm at the point now where I can enjoy being outside with dogs and can tolerate a few hours of indoor time before needing to take a pill... My question is this... I'm looking at DD's and am looking at purchasing a dog between 2-3 y/o..... I've got a garage although it's not heated.. My plan is to build a smallish run in the garage for those times I'm at work or for overnight.... Is this fair to a dog to do this????? Basically the dog is gonna get tons of training and outdoor time as I'm an avid hunter and am always outdoors... The dog will be in the house with the fiancee when I'm not home and will spend some time inside when I'm there. Basically, I seem to grow used to dogs allergies the more I am exposed...

Anyone have any thoughts on this method?? Pros' Cons'????

Anyone have the same set up??

My thinking is atleast this way the dog will not be exposed to the elements.. The garage is connected to our home so it's not freezing and we would be placing some type of space heater nearby for winter...

thanks in advance and glad to be a part of the forum...

postoakshorthairs

Re: Just saying hello and asking a question

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:46 am

There are many who house dogs outside all year so, all things considered, I personally don't see it as unfair to the dog. You might be sorry when he does his business on your garage floor :lol: :lol: I don't know how the DD's stack up on the allergy friendly scale so I'm not help there. Good Luck!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:23 pm

10r -

The dog will, in all likelihood, be much better with the arrangement than you seem to be.

You probably know this already, but make sure the garage run includes an insulated dog box of some sort and that the dog has access to water. A dog needs a small, compact, draft free den in the wintertime, so that it can conserve heat and they also consume a surprising amount of water in the cold weather. A properly sized vari kennel with an insulating cover might be just fine in a garage setup, if the dog doesn't eat it.

Also, you might want to consider how you are going to keep an indoor run sanitary especially in winter.

An outside run is no problem for most dogs and I should think a DD would thrive with a mix of inside and outside. The temps in Canada do get pretty far down there so if you do opt for either a garage run or an outide kennel, a source of heat for the kennel would be a wise consideration. A few folks I know have installed a 60 watt rough duty incandescent bulb(inside a metal coffee can) at the top of the dog kennel. An incandescent bulb converts about 5% of the electricity into light and 95% into heat, so even a small bulb throws a lot of heat warming up that metal can which then acts as a radiator. Keepng it sealed up inside a metal coffee can also keeps the dog safe from the glass and electricity.

RayG

10r

Post by 10r » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:46 pm

thanks for the info.... especially for the info regarding the bulb... hadn't heard of that but obviously would work perfectly!!!

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:12 pm

I have a recommendation for allergies. Make sure you are feeding a good food that has quality ingredients. There is not one dog food that works for every dog so try a food and see how the dogs skin and coat look. If they are not in prime condition switch to another food. My dog is an inside dog and we pay a bit more for food but we only buy a 30 pound bag every 2 1/2 months (she is only 30 pounds).

Also there are plenty of foods that are expensive but have the same ingredients that the cheaper brands do.

Good luck

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Tex, I think 10r has the allergies. :)

A DD will have no problem with being in the cold. Inside outside is how my dogs are all year. attached to and into the garage.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:Tex, I think 10r has the allergies. :)

A DD will have no problem with being in the cold. Inside outside is how my dogs are all year. attached to and into the garage.
I understand that but a good food that helps lower dog dander (which is what most people are allergic to) and will help the person with the allergies not be exposed to as much as the allergy causing agents.

I was supposedly allergic to dogs when I was younger.

10r

Post by 10r » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm

thanks tex..have heard this before and will be trying it out.. and yes it is me who has the allergies.... getting better though!!