need help picking a collar

maverick351

need help picking a collar

Post by maverick351 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Ok guys help a fellow out here. I am looking for a e collar that includes a beeper on it. I am looking to spend no more than 450 and I need something with at least a 1 mile range that actually gives good range and is waterproof. I am really interested in one particular DT SYSTEMS 1850. I am open to all suggestions and comments on this or any other brand. I have however had a couple models of Sport Dog and am very dissapointed with this brand. I know many disagree with the type of dog I am using or what I am using him for. I have a Pointing Lab. He is 1/2 AKC Chocolate lab and 1/2 AKC English Pointer. A complete oops from the owner of the two (long story). Anyways I am using him to duck hunt as well as upland and have even taken him with me to do general hunting (rabbit squirell and other things). So any suggestions or reviews of collars would be much appreciated and thanks so much to the true experts the guys in the field using the products.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: need help picking a collar

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 pm

www.tritronics.com
SPORT UPLAND G3TM

A Beeper and training collar in one with full multi-dog capability

10 levels each of continuous and momentary stimulation

Activate the Beeper from up to half a mile away

All-new ergonomic transmitter design with large buttons, easy-to-use dials, and rubberized grip

Train up to three dogs from the same transmitter (purchase extra receivers separately)

Field “marry” new receivers to your transmitter easily
* For dogs 2-6, order optional 3-packs of orange/green and yellow straps - product # 5410100 -- $29.95

Two dials select your dog and set your intensity

Fully functional multi-dog system

Half mile range

Integrated antenna is only 1-1/2”

Waterproof

Long and short contact points for all coat types

Rechargeable collar (charger and cradle included)

2-hour charging

9-volt replaceable battery (included) in the transmitter

Beeper includes: Range/Point and Point-only modes

High and low volume

Beeper on/off and locate feature are operated from your transmitter

Four run tones: single, double, triple beep, tracking tone

Two point tones: single tone, hawk scream

Fits larger and smaller breeds

30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 2 year warranty

Sport Upland G3™: $349.00

Availability: Normally ships in 2-3 business days.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Or Look up the Classic 70 it has a mile range and order the Beeper extra
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:40 am

Or Look up the Classic 70 it has a mile range and order the Beeper extra
good advice thats what I did I like simple

and Maverick theres no need to ever worry about what others think of what kind of dog you have they are all good and your feeding it not them, sounds like a nice dog to me.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks for the comments about my dog. I know it does not matter but I have read some of the posts on here about pointing labs. I have asked around for a long time before buying one but when the opportunity came up from the previous owner I had to jump. His english pointer is a champion hunter with a long pedigree as well as is his lab. I know most labs cant run for long but mine does great and will hunt until I cant anymore. I am also looking into the TriTronics collars as well now. Where is a good place to read up on people experiences with collars either good or bad. I googled the DT Systems collar I was looking at and have only found it rated very good with only minor complaints as found with any other collar. I do hunt in cover like bush and tall fields as well as some trees. My biggest concern I guess is that because my dog is a runner I am scared to have him run and the collar not work at a decent distance when I need it too. The beeper is mainly to help find him when he points. Thanks again guys and keep the comments coming.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:40 am

You can't go wrong with the DT! I have had mine for 4 years and use it year round with no problems.

Nitrex

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:11 pm

I am currently looking at a few models from collar clinic and considering a tri tronics but still like the dt systems so unsure what I will decide on yet.

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:30 pm

btw I am curious so many people recomend tri tronics collars. is the range they claim actually true?

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:33 pm

Couple reasons I can think of.
American Made
Dependable
Service

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:43 pm

vzkennels wrote:Couple reasons I can think of.
American Made
Dependable
Service
even the parts are American made and you walk into tri tronics there is english speaking workers

add in that in a side by side test which we have done here
Tri tronics works further then the other brands

the G3 basic which claims 1/2 mile range and the sport dog which claims 3/4 mile the SD fully charged only worked about 20 yards further

Dt will it failed bob when we were wild bird hunting in feb...it didn't reach out pasted 200 yards and yes it was charged was the final straw for him and other collar companies ..he has a Dt good dog with beeper system used to be 2 dog is now only 1 dog it is for sale the second collar is gone with the dog he couldn't reach out and touch when the dog got into a big covey of quail.

and i had one classic 70 that for over 5 years was my go to collar when all the other collars failed me