Best Bird Dog

ksmak02

Best Bird Dog

Post by ksmak02 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 am

What is the best bird dog? I'm looking into making the big investment and it's always good to have opinions. I'm looking to use the same dog for pointing out quail and pheasant as well as retrieving geese, ducks and dove.

Thanks for any and everything!

SD Pheasant Slayer

Re: Best Bird Dog

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:49 am

Haha... this should get interesting in a hurry. Let's keep this one civil people!
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:08 pm

Ther are several breeds available to do what you ask; But I think it would be more appropriate to define what you expect as far as range, pointing ability, handling, tempermant, trainability, etc.
Good Luck! :)
Ulltimately it will be your decision.
Last edited by Meller on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:15 pm

What are people in you area using? Where are you located, will the dog be required to do retieves in "big water"? Do you have a pointer/flusher preference?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Alright, I will be the Pinata. :wink:

First consideration. What is the high temprature and the low temprature where you hunt primarily?

Hot areas with goose hunting in water not fields down to around 32 degrees, GSP, Puddel Pointer, Wiem etc..

Colder, I would head towards a German Wire hair, or Puddel Pointer with thick coats, German Long hair, etc.

Colder yet, Down right frigid below 10 degrees I would head towards labs a chessies and forget about the pointing and flush train em.

I have a 45 pound French britt and a fifty pound GSP that goose hunt but only randomly. We do duck hunt alot and the GSP is good with no winds down to the 30's. The French Britt is good down to the mid twenties. (Water hunting).

As far a cold and upland hunting not a problem with any of them. But heat can affect dog (especially when not conditioned properly). Short haired lighter colored dogs seem to handle it better. IMO

Oh by the way this is all my opinion (even though :) )
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Yeah I think this one is a huge matter of opinion.. I was once told when getting into bird dogs, "Son, this wont be your last bird dog, and probley not your best." That said I currently have one of my pups for sale on the forum!!
KN

Setter

Post by Setter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:47 pm

ksmak02 wrote:What is the best bird dog? I'm looking into making the big investment and it's always good to have opinions. I'm looking to use the same dog for pointing out quail and pheasant as well as retrieving geese, ducks and dove.

Thanks for any and everything!
As an aside, there is no "best" birddog only what's best for you - meaning the type/breed of dog you get the most enjoyment out of. That breed of dog, the one you enjoy the most, is the "best".

From the brief info you provided IMO for your situation the pool of dogs to pick from would likely be one of the v-dog breeds or Labrador.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:18 pm

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon- See folks, that was easy!

ksmak02

Post by ksmak02 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:27 pm

Range: I would like it to stay close
Pointing Ability: I would like it to hold point until told to "get 'um"
Temperment: friendly is always a plus
Trainability: it would be my first dog to train so easy would be nice

I would be hunting in the Lubbock, TX and Texas coastal area and maybe a few times to AZ so anything from hotter than heck to probably no less than 20 degrees. Personally anything lower than that and I'm probably going to say screw it lol (that what I get for growing up in South Texas). I figure most of what a dog can actually do has a lot to do with how it's trained but I figure if it already has some instinct that can't hurt. I looked up that Pudelpointer and they look intriguing. Defiantly worth researching. Any info on those? And how do Brittney's do with water retrieves and such?

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:54 pm

I think if you going to be doing your hunting in warm climates a gsp is the way to go. probably your best chance in getting a good bird dog if you do some research lots of good litters each year.

good luck

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:23 pm

ksmak02 wrote: how do Brittney's do with water retrieves and such?

Cats cant swim! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Seriously though, I've seen some retrieve geese bigger than themselves! For your first dog, stick to breeds that have tons of natural ability. Britts, GSPs, and fat pointers(so they can stay afloat) if they decide to retrieve. :lol: :lol: :lol: the shorter the coat, cough, cough, the better in warmer weather. The best bird dog is the one that makes you happiest but your wife/girlfriend might hate them for the first two years. Remember though, the dog cant yell as loud as a woman so be kind to the dog. :D

texscala

Post by texscala » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:25 pm

I think GSP, Brit, or EP are all great choices that would serve you well. Do lots of research and look into the breeders you are considering. There are a wide variety of ranges within each breed. My French Britt is supposed to be a close ranging dog but likes to get out to a 1/4 mile or so when she can.

You could also look into a BdB I have hunted behind a few out here that ranged close and got the job done. Very interesting look to them.

ksmak02

Post by ksmak02 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 pm

What is an BdB?

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 am

A well bred GSP

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:24 am

Any may work so get what you like. Places to start in my book might be the Lab if waterfowling is predominate and if upland is then a GWP. As back up to the Lab you have the Chessie and as backups to the GWP you have most of the continental breeds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

texscala

Post by texscala » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:00 am

Somehow I missed the water fowling in the last part of your post. A GWP would bee a nice option. I am not sure how they do in the heat but they are a good choice for a pointing dog that can handle cold water retrieves.

ksmak02

Post by ksmak02 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:26 am

Well I've narrowed it down to a Britt or a German Shorthair. I think that they would do best in the weather I typically hunt and both have been mentioned a few times. Does anyone have experience training either one of them for waterfowl? Experience hunting waterfowl with them? I know that both breeds are accomplished upland bird dogs so not to worried about that aspect.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:33 am

Having narrowed it down, find a good breeder/trainer near you. Proximity to a mentor is a big plus. Don't forget to tell your prospective breeders that you're looking for a close-working dog. Describe to them in terms X-yards what you think is close working.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:37 am

Either breed can do the work. Greg's advice is right on. Start checking with breeders in your area preferably and see what they can show you and find one you like.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

texscala

Post by texscala » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:40 am

I have a French Britt and this is the off season I plan on working her a bit for waterfowl. I know a few breeders out there use the dogs for waterfowl a lot. I have trained exclusively for upland so far but my dog does love water and I have had her along for a waterfowl hunt and she swam in the icy water without any problems.

If you go GSP just make sure the parents are doing waterfowl and do the same for the britts. Take a look at the French Britts as I think there are more of them being used for multi purpose hunting. They will be a bit more pricey but they are a fun breed.

Good luck

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:42 am

The smartest thing to do if possible is to get two dogs. Get a Lab for waterfowl and a Setter for the rest, then you have the best for both. :D
big steve

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:42 am

I hunted my previous shorthair in North Dakota for ducks. She could handle the cold water the first couple of weeks of the season, air temps in the low 40's or so. There was no way she would do well in a blind though, sitting still that long wasn't her thing. We mainly jump shot ducks back then. I would think they could handle most the temps you would be hunting in down south. I have hunted them in upland with temps below zero and never had a problem as long as they were moving. So I think a shorthair would definitely be able to handle all the temps you speak of. I have noticed my new pup, which is more white than liver handles the heat better than my previouos which was all liver. In the summer if you put you hand on her white versus her liver patches it is amazing the difference in temp to the touch.

KYwired

Post by KYwired » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:55 am

Both the Brit and GSP will do what you ask if you find the breeder that is producing the type of dog you want. I would suggest making contact with your closest North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA) Chapter. Call them up, go to a training day and see what those people are doing. Plus, you might just click with someone there to mentor you through the process. If you get lucky enough to see a UT prized dog work you will see a dog that does well on upland birds, has manners in the blind for waterfowl, and is probably a pleasure to live with in general.

Of course like everyone else these are only my opinions.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Narrowing it down to the GSP or Britts. I would go GSP. I have both and use both for duck and upland and some trialing.

The only reason I mention the GSP as a first choice, is primarily I do not know if you will be training or how much experience you have. The GSP is near fool proof. They seem to bounce back from bad training sessions better than the britts I have had. Better chance of getting a retrieving fool also. Not denigrating my britts as I will always have them.

My Britts sit in the blind well, fit in a small canoe well, are anxious to retrieve any ducks I manage to hit and love to upland hunt.

My GSP does the same as the britts but is a little faster and I think mentally tougher. As you can tell I am torn because I do not want to short change either dog. If you go to NAVHDA lines for either breed you will find what you want or to the French Britt lines.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ksmak02

Post by ksmak02 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Anyone worked with a Small Munsterlander before?

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:23 pm

the real intelligent answer is that you need two dogs. If not for the variety than for the companionship that the dogs need when you are not at home.
I vote for two dogs.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:40 pm

I agree. However not always feasable for everyone. The more the merrier! and the more the feed bill too! :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:57 pm

You all enlighten me as well. You all talk about "breeders". In doing so are you making a general statement or suggesting someone that pumps out dogs on a regular basis? Most hunters I know, including myself, only have a litter every few years because they need more dogs. Someone stated going to a NAVDA trial and looking around. I'd take it even further and go to any bird dog venue you can, talk to as many people as you can and look at the dogs in action. Don't get in a hurry for a pup. No matter what anyone says, just because daddy was one way doesn't mean the pup will be the same. Most of how the dog becomes later in life is directly dependent on your actions with it as a puppy. Breeding only gives you a good foundation, you get to build the house. Good luck on your decision and I hope I swayed you a bit toward a good web footed GSP. :mrgreen: I also know of a hunter of exceptional Btitts out west that occasionally has pups.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:12 pm

Unless I missed it, nobody asked the most important question: how much time and energy do you want to devote to your dog? Especially as a first dog, you might be better suited to a Lab, for example. Or a spaniel. While all bird dogs require a commitment, some are serviceable as home companions and field partners with a little less effort, as long as you're satisfied with what they do.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

ksmak02

Post by ksmak02 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 pm

Thank you all for all your help. As a new member I'm very impressed with the civility on this forum. It's defiantly not that way on all the all the hunting forums. Especially when GHG is involved lol. As far as time and energy I would like to put into a dog I would love to commit tons of time to the dog to have it as my best friend and hunting partner but the reality is I'm in college and don't have all the time I would like as far as training goes. On the idea of two separate dogs, that would be awesome but not practical for a man in my current point in life to have...one day for sure though!

-Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that a soft mouth would be pretty amazing but I don't mind retrieving birds for mounting by hand.