F1 Quail

dlfl

F1 Quail

Post by dlfl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:57 am

i have spoke with a man raising F1 quail. He told me that he puts a adult F1hen with his chicks from the start. Grown in flight pens with little human contact. They are getting around 12% carry over to the next year.
Has anyone here done this?
Dіck

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: F1 Quail

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:40 am

I've not done this, but it intrigues me some. What's the ratio for Hen to Chicks? Curious as to how old the chicks are when this is done, and what time of the year? I think it would be interesting to try but it would have to be in the summer months up here.

Chip

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:32 pm

I believe it was one hen to thrity chicks. The hen is with them from right after hatching andreleased wirh them. A dusting asrea is needed in the pen also.
Dіck

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:19 pm

OK I'll admit it :oops: whats a F1 quail?
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:33 pm

I was wondering the same thing bobman, just didn't want to admit it :?

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Yeah, pretty much what I suspected....

A two-generation dietary test provides a method for determining multigenerational
effects of endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs), with varied exposures over the stages in the
life cycle. The Japanese quail has been developed as a model for precocial avian species;
however, northern bobwhite quail have been the standard for toxicological testing. Our purpose
was to compare relevant end points in these species, in a two-generation dietary study. In
addition the to species comparison, a range of potential measurement end points were examined,
including appraisal of potential sensitivity, constraints, and reliability for regulatory application.
A modification of the OECD one generation protocol was followed with each generation for
definition of the adult experimental phase of the study. The first generation (parental generation)
was synchronized by raising both species under short photoperiod until mature. Specifically,
Japanese and northern bobwhite quail (parents; P) were raised under short photoperiod, then
placed on diet containing low concentrations of methoxychlor (MXC; 0, 5ppm, and 10ppm) and
simultaneously photostimulated. A range of measures were monitored including feed intake, egg
production, egg quality, fertility, offspring viability. In addition, other measures were selected
for their potential to detect endocrine disruption. Chicks (F1) were raised on the same diet as
their parents, paired as adults, and sexual maturation, reproductive behavior and endocrine
measures were examined, similar to the parent generation. F2 chicks were raised on control feed
and assessed for the same end points as the F1 birds.

:) :)

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:50 pm

:| Is that an abstract from the published study? THat did nothing to clear up what an F1 chick was other than to say that the F1 was a second generation chick raised on a special diet. What was the porblem, to begin with? OH and please...Like I am a 8 year old. :roll:
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:57 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but I did some digging and there was several definitions of an F1 quail. For this topic I assumed that they were using the def. of F1 as meaning only 1 generation removed from being a wild bird. Quail raised in captivity are usually 3rd or 4th or even more generations removed from being wild birds. Saw a couple quotes from studies suggesting that the birds start losing natural survival instincts after the first generation. .......So I'm taking it as being suggested that by using a F1 bird to help raise some F3 or F4's ( or further removed ) that he is gaining some of those lost survival instincts back in the chicks.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:08 pm

The person I talked to, used f-1 (first generation offspring) for the mature and chicks. He released them for recovery of quail in the area. A 12% carry over is pretty good even for wild quail. he worked closley with Tall Timbers research center here in florida. Thay have some good information about preditors and such along with land studies for quail and other species.
Dіck