rock eater

Vandal03

rock eater

Post by Vandal03 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:07 pm

I've got a young Vizsla who lately has been throwing up rocks and sticks. So far we haven't had any major problems - just a lethargic day here or there. But I fear that I'm playing Russian roulette with a potential bowel obstruction. One option is to re-landscape my backyard to get rid of the wood chips and rocks and put in larger rocks that he can't eat or to build a more official dog run. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

esetter guy

Re: rock eater

Post by esetter guy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:34 pm

sorry, no real advice but I know how you feel. My young setter went through the same thing, or the same things went through him. I think he is getting better but every once in a while he has to see if that forigen object is fit to eat. His latest test was about two dozen 3/16" tile spacers, I didn't count them all but most seem to have made it through.

Grey Ghost

Post by Grey Ghost » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:55 am

Vandal03 wrote:But I fear that I'm playing Russian roulette with a potential bowel obstruction.
You probably are.
Does he do this in the field or only when he's alone in the yard? My weim always fooled with rocks when let out to do her business. Then twice in one year, she needed surgery to remove a rock from her GI tract. Since then, if she's out in the yard by herself, she's wearing a muzzel. I'm sure some folks would recommend other methods to stop the rock eating, but that's the only one that's guaranteed. Luckily, she's too busy in the field to eat rocks. If your dog is doing it in the field, then you're not going to be able to use the muzzel. Besides retrieving being a problem, some muzzels (the types groomers use) don't allow panting and will lead to over heating quickly; the type used on guard dogs seems to me like it would block scent; and finally the wire basket used on racing greyhounds looks to me like a determined dog could still get to rocks with it on.

Good Luck.

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:29 pm

I'm not sure why some dogs like to "eat rocks" but they do. I will tell you that a friend of mine recently had a young black lab die from a blockage caused from eating them.

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:43 pm

What does it take for these objects to become a blockage? I'm very uneducated in the ways of the GI system, but I'm guessing size is probably the #1 culprit? Accumulation as well?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:58 pm

Benny,
I'm certainly no expert on this matter either, but from what I understand the dog I referred to had several rocks in its intestines. I had actually never heard of a dog eating rocks until my buddy's dog did. The vet told my friend he had seen it a few times.

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:35 pm

I was just curious because my dog ate a scrap from her toy she'd torn up. Nothing big, probably a 1"x2.5" piece of flat cotton linen material. I'm hoping to see it out the other end soon.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

PTdawg

Post by PTdawg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 pm

they've got some tough stomachs...i've seen several brand new dress socks pass out of my labs rear end :x but eating rocks sounds pretty dang dangerous. I don't know of anything to do except get rid of the rocks. good luck.

Loke

Post by Loke » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:01 am

I've got quite a collection that my Malamute brought in to the house and regurgitated in his basement kennel. :mrgreen:
Replace the fear of the unknown with curiosity

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:50 pm

I think that puttin in a kennel containment within the yard would be cheaper then re landscaping the whole yard. Rock eaters can and DO die from bowel obstruction. Not a fun habit......

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:39 pm

I want to resurrect this thread. What is generally the treatment? Just push everything through with bulky food?

I see lots of commiserating but not much of "what to do" besides quarantining the dog. Any new ideas?

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 pm

My pointer had this issue. She ate just about everything. I put in an outside kennel. That went well for a while until she ate the arm of the couch and the chair. The only thing that kept her from making the trip back to OK was the Muzzle. She now wears that when out of the kennel and after she eats. Sure some would disagree with this but don't care. It is what is needed to keep momma happy, and we all know if momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy.

Joe

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:16 pm

called pica. People can get this disorder too.Some eat a hundred icecubes a week or cigarette buts etc..

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=na ... lllllllll0
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:54 pm

I would pick up a rock and toss of to my dog and see if she would catch it and start to eat it. Just a small one. The when it would just take it without hesitation I would find the hottest hot sauce or just a ghost chilli and run the rock all around in the juices.... Throw it to the dog and watch. Might get a scream out of it too.