New Pup!

phoenix

New Pup!

Post by phoenix » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:27 pm

Ok I posted these pics on the Intro and Info about Kings thread origionally started, but since that thread is moot at this point, No need to revisit it so I thought I would Start over here so I can focus on the pup now! I am also posting a few pics of my favorite hunting pastime! Traditional Archery! All of them were wild VA deer! I had to hunt hard for them and pass up a lot of "shooters" All 3 are aged over 4.5 years of age and the Bigun was 5.5 years old. The largest one has 9" brow times and 17 " g2's! Gosh i love to hunt! One of these days I WILL shot a phesant over my dog with my recurve! Image
ImageImage
Image[/img]

PrairieGoat

Re: New Pup!

Post by PrairieGoat » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Cute pup (nice deer too!). I hope you know that pup will own that couch.....and your bed!!! :D

Randy

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Nice pup and deer. I happen to be a traditional archer myself. Not a better joy in the world.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:59 pm

rapid fire wrote:Nice pup and deer. I happen to be a traditional archer myself. Not a better joy in the world.
Well said! somethig so pure about it, uhhmmmm kinda like watiching a dog point birds! And are you kidding me PrarieGoat, I saw HWH I would never spoil my bird dog!!!

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 pm

A book not in print now but very good is by Deane Harris, "Training the Ultimate Bird Dog". If you locate a copy you will be glad to get it. This is his web site, and you might like the breeding of his dogs. http://www.wingsweptllewellins.com/
Dіck

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:05 am

Is that a Brittany? What breed is that and where did you get it? I am waiting for a pup myself but it is going to be at least a year. Might fill the spot in the meantime.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:20 pm

He is a llewelin puppy! He is excelent! I got him from King Llewellins, and they have some available now, but DO YOUR HOMWORK! Look at my post labled "Intro amd a Question about King Llewellin kennels. Lots of good info! I researched Kings dogs for 7-8 years, talked to several owners. The general opinion I recieved was that quality of his dogs has declined with his health. I chose a specific puppy based on a male from the blizzard line, King's Blizzard Dancer, that was a proven stud, and Duff was the last male from his last litter. I spoke with several people who owned pups from previouse litters who all had nothing but good to say about the quality of the dogs. And a couple had hunted over Dancer in choosing their pup. That is why I took a chance on my little man Duff, plus I dont know something in me just told me I should, and I am not know for making emotional decisions. I have had him a week and he is smart! he is learning fast and he has just the personality I was hoping for and is very courageous! I will be getting a second in the fall or winter, as King was not my first choice in kennel, but he did have a pup from a line I wanted. I am looking at Rock Llewellin Setters, Bobs Strait Creek Llews, and Kimbu K kennels at this point, take a look at thier programs if you are interested in a Llew, and of course there are many more great breeders, those are just the kennels that fit what intrests me. Here is a good link for you, http://www.llewellinsetter.net/breeders.html. I want to point out that Kings dogs can not be FDSB registerd, that didnt matter with me, I dont do trials, I want a good close working grouse dog! QAnd yes a Rhyman may have been a better chioce than a Llew but I wanted a smaller dog,, hehe a llew! And by all means, if you have done your hw and found a good breeder and you have to wait, then WAIT. Remember this dog, if you are foing to hunt it is an investment, make a good one. I was able to take a chance on Duff because i have room for a house pet if he doesnt work in the field, and as I noted I have plans for 2! Good luck!

GhillieSuit22

Post by GhillieSuit22 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:17 am

Thank you for all the info, I am definitely intrigued by the breed. I also love to grouse/woodcock hunt although mostly grouse. I too enjoy a dog that stays close and is smaller in stature. That is why I am so into the braque francais, as they are smaller and also more docile in the household. I am however open to getting another pup to keep it company, my girlfriend also wants to call one of them her own. Thank you again for the info, i thoroughly enjoyed it.