Stud won't breed, need advice

OK quail hunter

Stud won't breed, need advice

Post by OK quail hunter » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:48 pm

Let me just start with a little background info, the female is approximately 5 years old and has had 2 litters previously. The male is 2.5 and has never bred a bitch before. The female is known to be a little aggresive towards some studs but has not shown any aggression towards my male. When he is anywhere near her hind end her tail lays over and she stands there without any problem, but all he wants to do is lick her and pick up her back end with his nose. I have tried keeping them together in a kennel run for a while, let them have the run of the backyard without anyone or other dogs around, and even had her tied up and lifted him onto her back to try to help him get the idea. Im lost at what to do next, the owner has been waiting on this breeding for awhile now and I really want to get it done for him but have no idea what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

limited out

Re: Stud won't breed, need advice

Post by limited out » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:26 pm

How long has your female been in heat?

I went through the same deal as you are with my female I just bred about a week or so ago. She would stand for the male, but he would just lick her, and sometimes try to take a pee on her. But about the 3rd week of her cycle they bred. The time has to be just right, then things should happen. Because the male has not had the "expereince" he is not going to force anything, so the only thing that will make it happen is time.

Keep at it... good luck!

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:03 pm

My best advice, if your determined to breed the two, is to AI her with fresh semen. My bitch was a dominate one and would growl enough to turn off the old man. His lack of experience is showing and I'd find a good reproductive vet in your area. Either that or get in there and "geter done!". lol

limited out

Post by limited out » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:55 am

aylaschamp wrote:My best advice, if your determined to breed the two, is to AI her with fresh semen. My bitch was a dominate one and would growl enough to turn off the old man. His lack of experience is showing and I'd find a good reproductive vet in your area. Either that or get in there and "geter done!". lol
That would be money down the drain... it still could happen naturally.

Wailt until she is 3 weeks in her cycle, if they still dont breed, then resort ack to Al.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:39 am

Just wait for a while longer, she may not be quite ready in his eyes.
I have seen a female stand at 3 days into the heat. Just keep putting them together every day and
see what happens. Your male will eventually get the idea and mount her.
I did want to mention that, if you crate them at night, you can try switching crates so that the male
is smelling the female's scent all night. It will help move things along.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:23 am

Not an expert by any means, but went through exactly the same issue 39 days ago that you are having.My Male 2.5 ys old(first time) female 7 yrs old (previously bred)
First, to just wait 3 weeks as suggested does not sound like a good idea & it is not money down the drain depending where the bitch is at in her cycle.
PM me and I will give you the run down on what we did including a pedgestione test (mispelled I'm sure)
Bill L.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:37 am

Take the girl in for a blood test, it is simple and painless. The boy dog will know in the same way a buck deer knows to chase. BY HIS NOSE. It will not fail him or her

My old dog if they were not ready, he would just sit and look at them. No amount of coaxing would help him. Nature knows what it is doing and will take care of it. :lol:

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:15 am

Where is this 3 weeks in the heat cycle coming from? I have always thought a a female will ovulate around 10 days after the first day they started to show,,,, have had them go along as 19 but that was really late and not the norm.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:15 am

Hotpepper wrote:Take the girl in for a blood test, it is simple and painless. The boy dog will know in the same way a buck deer knows to chase. BY HIS NOSE. It will not fail him or her

My old dog if they were not ready, he would just sit and look at them. No amount of coaxing would help him. Nature knows what it is doing and will take care of it. :lol:

Pepper
I tend to agree with this. I have a stud who was never bred b4, bred him to my bitch who had been bred twice , and had no problems those 2 times. This dog wouldn't even sniff her when I thought that it was time, by counting days since I had seen first blood. (10 days) he waited 5 or 6 more days until HE knew it was time. He bred her 3 days in a row, no probs., couldn't keep his paws off of her!!!

Doug

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 pm

You can save money by AI'ing yourself. I AI my females myself and it is VERY simple. Ask your vet for a kit or order on online. You can use the same one over and over again as long as you keep them clean. Nature has been working for thousands of years, but the technology is available so why not use it?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:19 pm

Sometimes it takes the scent to be the very strongest for a young male to breed. Just because she is flagging does not mean her scent is the strongest. Females can be in standing heat around 10 days, so I would be patient a little longer. You did not say what day she was in her heat. I find most females are ready around 11-15 days. I never put the dogs in together and leave them. I will let them out together in the a.m. and again in the evening to see if it happens. It helps them to flirt, then if he starts to mount her get ahold of her head. Do not talk and do not help him.
Last edited by snips on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brenda

limited out

Post by limited out » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 pm

Elroy's Bandit wrote:Not an expert by any means, but went through exactly the same issue 39 days ago that you are having.My Male 2.5 ys old(first time) female 7 yrs old (previously bred)
First, to just wait 3 weeks as suggested does not sound like a good idea & it is not money down the drain depending where the bitch is at in her cycle.
PM me and I will give you the run down on what we did including a pedgestione test (mispelled I'm sure)
Bill L.
Don't just wait 3 weeks, try up until 3 weeks. At 3 weeks if there is absolutley nothing then try Al. It is money down the drain if she is only say a week into her cycle, which is exaclty why I asked where she was in her cycle...
R-Heaton wrote:Where is this 3 weeks in the heat cycle coming from? I have always thought a a female will ovulate around 10 days after the first day they started to show,,,, have had them go along as 19 but that was really late and not the norm.
A heat cycle lasts more than 2 weeks ( 2 weeks seems to be the general rule of thumb) my dog, Jessy came into hear March 17th, was bred April 1st, and she is still bleeding. I might have been speaking off my own experience, but I have also read & been told a females cycle is 3-4 weeks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 pm

The cycle maybe 3 to 4 weeks but they are going to breed in some where around the 10 to 15 days into it. I have never seen a female breed much later than the 15th day. That means you better check or get her bred before waiting three weeks, Just in all probability not going to happen that late. But the male will tell you if you just be patient. The old saying was 1 week coming in,1 week in, and 1 week going out. And that isn't far from right.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:50 am

A hall of fame bitch was bred here on the 19th and 21st day, I did not believe it. She was very grumpy to that day and he just looked at her. On the 19th, she stood and we got the 1st of 3 ties. Had 10 puppies and a number of national winners. On day 23 he was not intersted and she was out of season, but was bred.

The blood test will show exactly where the bitch is in the cycle, a 0.7 says not yet, a 3.2 says she is abot ready, a 10.0 says she is in raoring estruses. There is a surge in the pregestrone level that occurs, that is why it takes several blood tests. It's just money that sometimes has to be spent to get it done.

I have direct knowledge that a bitch stodd, was bred and had puppies after being bred on day 30. It happens.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:28 am

Jerry~Was that Morticia? Just curious.

Doug

solon

Post by solon » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:12 am

It is easy to miss the fertile window. If it were me, I would cover the bitch by using AI with fresh semen. The sperm live up to 5 days in utero. The most common cause of missed conception is breeding too late.

Here is all the info you should need:

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/eiltslotus/th ... _index.htm

Collection materials are available here: http://www.minitube.com/species_product ... 2&MI_ID=39

SLR

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:50 am

Any luck yet?
brenda

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:51 am

OK quail hunter,
Is she still bleeding at all? If so, there's nothing to worry about right now. If you go wipe her and it is completely clear (no pink at all) her fertile window has opened. If the male is not covering her at that time then you may want to go the AI route (time to get your hands dirty). As mentioned earlier you can call some local vets offices for the materials and for the pricing. I would call first, I've experienced that some vets will charge an office visit for there time. I hope this helps and good luck.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

OK quail hunter

Post by OK quail hunter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Thank you all for the advice and replies, the owner of the female decided to wait until another time. Thanks again for all of the advice, that is what makes this forum one the best around.

JstLovesGSP's

Canine Heat Cycle

Post by JstLovesGSP's » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:58 am

I have removed this post till either a url or some aknowledgement of the origin is put up. I still have it in another site that can't be veiwed so I can put it back up if needed.

Ezzy
Dogs are right, if you can't hump it or eat it, then piss on it and walk away.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:22 am

A brief reminder. Unless you personally wrote an article like the one above, to avoid copyright infringement, provide the link to the website with the information instead of copying the article and pasteing it in one of your posts.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:41 am

BigShooter wrote:A brief reminder. Unless you personally wrote an article like the one above, to avoid copyright infringement, provide the link to the website with the information instead of copying the article and pasteing it in one of your posts.
That, or include the author's name. Either way will work.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:06 pm

3Britts wrote:
BigShooter wrote:A brief reminder. Unless you personally wrote an article like the one above, to avoid copyright infringement, provide the link to the website with the information instead of copying the article and pasteing it in one of your posts.
3Britts, not to be the contrarian and I am not an expert but if I recall correctly even if you mention the author's name I think technically you also need their permission to reprint or repost their article ... and if I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:31 pm

BigShooter wrote:
3Britts wrote:
3Britts, not to be the contrarian and I am not an expert but if I recall correctly even if you mention the author's name I think technically you also need their permission to reprint or repost their article ... and if I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected.
Not to worry. I teach this to my college classes all the time. As long as you give credit to the author, you'll be fine. The problem only come to a head if you are printing it for resale. In this case, the member was just using the article as reference. Basic English 2010 stuff. :)