Anyone fly their dogs?

GSPoindexter

Anyone fly their dogs?

Post by GSPoindexter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:05 am

Has anyone stuck their dog on a plane to fly to a hunting spot, or just to travel? My grandmother in Minot, ND is not doing well and I'm going to go see her. I've played with the idea of taking my GSP with me. I'm really nervous about sticking him on a plane and don't really like the idea. At the same time it would be great to have him up there with me. I'd be flying out of Atlanta and switching planes in MN.

postoakshorthairs

Re: Anyone fly their dogs?

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:15 am

I've shipped some to buyers but never taken one along. I can tell you from doing the research to fly the one I did that if your dog is too big to fit beneath your seat you basically check it as checked baggage. Both of the dogs I've sent arrived in good condition with a good tempermant but I have pretty limited experience. I would assume it would be cheaper if you were traveling, but it costs around 300 bucks one way for an adult dog to be shipped.

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:26 am

I believe Delta said it would be $100 each way

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:57 am

GSPoindexter wrote:I believe Delta said it would be $100 each way
Last time I looked into it, I think I was quoted $150 or so each way, I don't think that was Delta, though. Airlines really stick it to you when flying dogs.

I've flown dogs a few times; once to Dallas, once to Boston, and once to NYC. Each of those flights was with Delta and I was very pleased with them each time.
Also, I basically insisted on flying nonstop; transfers worried me more than anything and I didn't want to risk problems.

To fly a dog, you'll need an airline-approved crate and a health certificate from your vet. There are also temperature restrictions where they won't fly dogs at all if it's above or below certain temps, which are outlined on the Delta website. That won't be a problem this time of year, though.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:00 am

OUCH!!
The one-way fee for checking your pet on all flights is $275 for travel within the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico and $550 for travel outside the United States, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. If you and your pet are making a transfer to another airline, be sure to allow time to claim your animal and re-check it with the connecting airline. For additional information or to arrange to check your pet as baggage, contact Reservations.
http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp

tenbearsviz

Post by tenbearsviz » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 am

I flew a pup home from Canada last May. I used Northwest mainly due to the arrival times in Tampa being in the cool part of the day. Airlines do have restrictions as to tarmac temps and animals flying.

Northwest walked me to the plane as they loaded the dog. At the flight change in Detroit, the stewerd found me to confirmed the pup made the flight change.

It was aroung $150.

Great experiance. The eight week old pup was a mess when we got home but no damage a little shampoo didn't clean up.

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks guys, it looks like they raised their prices since last time I checked. I'll probably just leave him at home this time.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:09 am

Mine flies at least four times a year, sometimes with me and sometimes as cargo. I have never had a problem, but I do stick with non-stops. Whether as cargo or as baggage (baggage is when they fly with you), the charge has gone up quite a bit in the last two years. NWA, which goes to Minot, now has a program where the flight attendant gives you a piece of paper confirming that your dog is on board the aircraft. There is no concern with temperatures or pressure changes in the cargo hold, it is pressurized and heated or air conditioned just as the cabin is. Every airline has its rules concerning pets, you need to go on the airline website and see what they want. Typical requirements are that the crate must be large enough for the dog to stand erect, head not touching the top of the kennel, no shipping above or below certain temperatures at both the departure and the arrival point, must have a food and a water bowl attached inside the kennel (they are a buck apiece at Petco if you don't have them), must tape dry food in a bag to the kennel, and if the dog is cargo, must have a health certificate obtained within the past ten days. As I said, I have shipped them all over the country this way, as baggage or as cargo, and not had a problem.

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:12 am

I just called Delta and they confirmed it was $150 each way. She said they will not confirm the dog has switched planes with you though.

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:14 am

Thanks Wagonmaster, I'm going to see if I can find a direct flight from Atlanta to Minot.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:14 am

Wagonmaster wrote: There is no concern with temperatures or pressure changes in the cargo hold, it is pressurized and heated or air conditioned just as the cabin is.
I asked about that once, and they told me the same thing, but that it's only heated or air-conditioned while the plane is in flight. Their concern is if the plane is delayed on the ground and the risk to the animals as a result. At least, that's what the person I talked to said.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 am

As I recall if there is a sudden loss of cabin pressure at high altitude there didn't use to be a procedure for dumping oxygen into the dog in the cargo area. I do not know if this is still the case but someone on the Forum may know. In any event this type of risk is very small. I've flown over half a million miles in various pressurized aircraft without a single loss of cabin pressure.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:22 am

I don't think you will find a direct flight from Atlanta to Minot. Probably the best you will be able to do is ATL to MSP, then MSP to Minot. The flight to Minot is a commuter. I would not worry about that though. NWA is pretty good with pets in my experience. When you call them, you should probably ask if you will get written confirmation when your dog is on board the MSP to MOT leg. NWA has a good website page on shipping your pet. Just go to www.nwa.com and do a search on "shipping pet" and you will find it, that is what I always wind up doing. Call them in advance even if you are taking the dog as baggage.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:24 pm

I have used a number of them, airlines, and do recommend Northwest as my favorite. Was flying from Spokane to Minnerapolis and there was a dog on board in the compartment, the NW folks were on the tarmac and had the dog out and into a van before the passenger door opened.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:50 pm

One thing to make sure of...I just got stuck with this one today...is if your changing from a large plane to a commuter is that the commuter can handle the bigger dog. My example is I was to ship a shorthair pup that was 35 pounds and 24 1/2 inches to the top of the head erect. They would let me use a 4oo series crate that was 26 inches tall (had to have an inch headroom) but the commuter plane could only accomodate a 25 inch tall piece of "baggage". So long story short I could only get the dog within 500 miles of the final destination. The lady I delt with (delta/northwest) had no time for negotiation or fudging the rules a little. She could have laid perfectly comfortably in a smaller kennel but the erect measurment is the sticking point.