NDR Sandhil crane in Maine

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

NDR Sandhil crane in Maine

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:43 am

No Kidding, This morning I went outside to put a couple dogs out and I heard a sound off in the distance, while I they were doing there business, me standing on the lawn. (there is a lake ,Echo Lake, below my house throught the woods a few thousand feet,) It kept going, thought at first it was a crow or Raven. Then over the top of the trees,about a 100 yards away, with the sun lighting up its whole under side, Black tips of the wings showing that long neck, huge wing span, In all its glory, A Sand hill Crane. It was amazing, I love those things.

You would think why does a guy from Maine know what a sand hill crane is. four years ago I was in Kansas, one of the places was the Quirva National refuge. A wonderful Place. They have an inland Salt water Marsh, which among many birds, ducks, geese, hawks and eagles, they have a huge population of Sandhill cranes. I spent three days there each morning and each night.

I have no Idea why he was up and over hear. Never seen one around here. Just lost I guess, But to my advantage.

I know it was not an egret, Great blue heron, brown or green heron, or king fisher.

Any way this jsut happend a half hour ago and I still have a smile on my face. Just wanted to share.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: NDR Sandhil crane in Maine

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:06 am

Love the sound they make... beautiful birds! 8)

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:27 am

You guys can have the ones in my neck of the woods. There are so many here. There has been a little discussion about opening a season for them here. Probably a long way off yet though.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:44 am

If you're interested you can hunt them in N.D. It's said they taste better than Canadian Honkers which many feel taste better than Mallards. They fly at a higher altitude than geese and it's said their vision is so keen they can see the whites of your eyes when flying at high altitude.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:40 pm

We can hunt them her in Colorado. I heard they come down like a shot down b-52 bomber. Good luck getting your dog to retrieve one of those huge birds. I also heard they taste pretty bad.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Had one in my front yard a few yrs back. Was hopping around, had lost part of one leg.
brenda

MB

Post by MB » Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:56 pm

birdhunter2424 wrote:We can hunt them her in Colorado. I heard they come down like a shot down b-52 bomber. Good luck getting your dog to retrieve one of those huge birds. I also heard they taste pretty bad.
No way bud! They're called "ribeye of the sky" for a reason. :wink:

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:56 am

My wife's brother and brother in-law both call them "ribeye in the sky" as well. They shoot some here in Kansas every year between the Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivera. I've heard stories of dogs trying to retrieve cripples and turning into shish-ka-bobs. Not a good idea...
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 am

To avoid being eaten by Messrs. Fox and Coyote, Mother Nature teaches them to go for the eyes. Sending a dog is not smart. My experience is that the taste depends on whether it is an old or young bird. The texture is somewhat like steak, some of them I have tried have been very sour and some have been alot like beef.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:31 am

Just looking at them, I would never think to eat them. Unless I missed lunch. :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:20 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Just looking at them, I would never think to eat them. Unless I missed lunch. :wink:
Another product of the twentieth century. If you lived in this country a couple of hundred years ago you'd probably have missed lunch once or twice and would have eaten most anything you could catch! 8)
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Chukar Plucker

Post by Chukar Plucker » Thu May 07, 2009 8:14 am

I have been going to Arizon near Wilcox with my father in law for the past 4 years going to hunt these great birds. He calls it the ultimate old man hunt, sit and wait for them to fly over you and even after you tag out it is such a great spectacle to see then bird fly in and circle by the thousands. They are wonderful to eat as well