choke collar issue

firstchoicehardwood

choke collar issue

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:42 pm

I just wanted some insight on a good collar for walking our dogs. I live in Metro Detroit so unfortunately I have to walk the dogs on a leash a few times a day on weekdays and then drive an hour on the weekends to let them run. We use the choke collars and I have noticed that it rubs the fur off of the neck. I am looking for an alternative type of collar. I've seen Ceasar Millan's collar but haven't heard any info on it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Benny

Re: choke collar issue

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Not a fan of choke collars. Have you tried a prong collar? They look scary but they're softer than you think on the dogs and very effective.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Prong collar for walking or a Fur Saver choker they can keep on all the time.Link below,click on collars.I kept the fur saver on my police dogs all the time.The bigger links keep from wearing the fur down.
http://www.rayallen.com/category/Herm_Sprenger_Collars
Dog On Point!!

megschristina

Post by megschristina » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:58 pm

I use the prong collar, it is wonderful, and if used correctly can be much safer and effective than a choke collar.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Thank you for the replies. When starting out the choker collar starts in the right place but it just slips down and then it rubs. I think we might try the prongs before we go out and spend $80 on 2 collars. If anyone has used that Ceasar collar please let me know what you think about it? Thanks.

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:41 pm

firstchoicehardwood wrote: If anyone has used that Ceasar collar please let me know what you think about it? Thanks.
I looked at the website and even watched the video...ya know, you really should find a cheap prong collar and give it a shot. You're not going to get any of the rub problems, which the "illusion collar" still appears to have some slipping action. I'm just a guy on the internet, so I won't stop ya either way, but $39.95 vs. $10-12...no brainer for me.
I will add one reminder that might act as a deterrent: the prong collar should NEVER be on the dog when its not on lead and under your control. No running around with it or playing. But, since you said just for walking, I really think this could be your savior.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:58 pm

i used this when teaching him to heel:

http://www.ruffwear.com/Just-a-Cinch-Sl ... ategory=15

now that he heels, i use a "choke" collar but I don't configure it in "choke" mode, i just loop it around his neck like a normal collar. I only have to make occasional corrections, so it works for me.

my wife on the other hand, never really got the concept of how to give a correction with a leash so she uses a pinch collar.

If the dog is walking at heel, it is not hard to keep the choke collar up high on the neck near the head.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:08 pm

If you're using a choke collar and it's rubbing the fur off the neck, you're using it wrong. Train your dog to heel so they won't pull againt the choker. If you want them to pull, put a harness on them.

I would not luse a prong commar in Detroit. Someone will report you for animal cruelty just from the look of them. If you're determined to use something like that, go to a pinch collar so they can't see the points.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bondoron

Post by bondoron » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:52 pm

Choke collars can be very harmful to dogs. It can cause irreversible damage to them. Do a Google search and you will see what I am saying. When used correct I haven't seen anything that is better then a pinch collar. Don't let them pull against it cause it will have no effect. You have to give a little snap so they get the pinch feel. This is the one I use. http://www.lcsupply.com/Product/Collars ... -Inch.html

Benny

Post by Benny » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:59 pm

gonehuntin' wrote: I would not luse a prong commar in Detroit. Someone will report you for animal cruelty just from the look of them. If you're determined to use something like that, go to a pinch collar so they can't see the points.
I would tell them to stuff it. Choke collars err more on the side of animal cruelty, its just unfortunate that 90% of folks don't know it.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Benny wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote: I would not luse a prong commar in Detroit. Someone will report you for animal cruelty just from the look of them. If you're determined to use something like that, go to a pinch collar so they can't see the points.
I would tell them to stuff it. Choke collars err more on the side of animal cruelty, its just unfortunate that 90% of folks don't know it.

Might be better to just not use either one. That doesn't cause a problem with the dog or other people. I haven't used one in years and I sure would never allow a dog to run loose with one on. Just too easy to get caught on something and end up killing or injuring your dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 am

Why are you using a choke collar after you have trained them to heal?
Are the dogs wearing the choke collar all the time? If so they should not be wearing them all the time.
If you still need the choke collar duing walks just put it on then. (the tail end of the should be closest to your leg on the side you are healing from.)
Not saying you are doing this but I am just saying.
The choke collar like most training tools does not cause harm when used properly.
You are not supposed to take the dog off their feet when using a choke collar. Just a quick jerk. to get their attention.
A simple flat heavy leather collar works well after the choke collar.
You could also move to a healing stick with the leather collar.

There is also a heavy leather slip collar that might work for you, I think Lion Country has them.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

firstchoicehardwood

Post by firstchoicehardwood » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:33 pm

The only time that our dogs have the choker on is when we are walking them. Our first Britt was doing fine with heel, but when we rescued a Brittany in January it seems like a power struggle for one to be in front of the other. It's not very easy trying to walk them both at the same time either. I will check out the prong collar. BTW I'm not to concerned about people calling animal control for using a choke collar. It's not like I'm walking a pitbull with a chain link around it's neck. If anything I think the people around the neighborhood think we are crazy for how often we walk our dogs no matter the weather!