GWP vs WPG vs Pointer?

kerplunk105

GWP vs WPG vs Pointer?

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 am

Can someone give me some information about the differences between the German Wirehaired Pointer, Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, and the Pointer (English)?

I am not a hunter. The pup would be doing field trials, tracking, agility, etc.

I am more looking for the differences in personality, training, etc.

I would like to get one in the future. The dogs arent too common around here. Just starting to do my research :D

Thank you :)
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

up-hunter

Re: GWP vs WPG vs Pointer?

Post by up-hunter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:29 am

i think any of these dogs would fit the bill some being stronger in some areas than others. the gwp and wpg will ussually have the upper hand in tracking other than that depending on the type of field trial you are going to run they will have different styles but you should beable to find what you want in each breed.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:18 pm

Boy are you talking apples vs oranges vs grapefruit!
First, I don't believe I have ever seen a WPG at a field trial. Not that they are not allowed to compete, but just never seen one entered. I would guess the Griff is not the swift of foot type of dog, not for trialing. And I would guess that there are few Griff owners who wish to go in that direction. Griffs have been excelling in NAVHDA work, and we do see them from time to time at some HT's.

GWP's will do all you may be seeking to do with them, there are lines that are very successful in AKC field trials and hunt tests as well. There are some brave souls out there doing agility with them, I believe we have one or two that have reached the highest levels in that arena.

Griffs differ from GWP's by having a softer temperment, probably calmer and less demanding? At least that is what I have been told by people who have owned both breeds.

Pointers, two different types.... American Field and AKC. The AKC dogs can do most all you have asked, but I would be very careful where you get the dog. If looking at an AKC pointer, I would only go with a dog from proven lines in trials. There are some decent enough AKC pointers out there, you just have to do some homework.
AF pointers, you would have to cross register them with AKC, not impossible just something to keep in mind. There are an awful lot of nice ones out there to be had, again talk to breeders and owners to find the right breeding to do what you want to do.

Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:26 pm

Thank you so much for the info! I have fostered two Pointers and really liked their personalities. There is a really great breeder near me if I decide to go the Pointer route.

I would have a much more difficult time finding the other two.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:21 pm

I guess I'll reply about the WPG since there aren't a ton of griff owners. Griffons do not generally run big and won't be seen winning many field trials. They are a close working, methodical dog by standard. They don't tolerate the heat very well and perform much better in the cold. The griffon is an intelligent breed that practically trains itself. It does excellent upland and water work and is at home at NAVHDA tests and AKC hunt tests. You'd do fine in any venue where quickly covering a big range is not a requirement of the dog. As Fuzznut mentioned, WPG's are generally softer tempered than wirehairs. I've heard their personality described as stoic and I think that fits...quiet, calm, in tune with the trainer, work for the hunter kind of dog. Griffs are wonderful in obedience. Mine learned to do his retrieving work simply by watching my Lab. He works the baseball diamond and takes hand signals and I never spent one second steadying him before he started marks. He just sat down next to the Lab one day and ran the pattern with him. I put the Lab away and there was no drop off. Did I mention WPG's are smart and trainable? The WPG is not a dog for everyone, but fits the bill for someone wanting a cold weather, close working, easy-to-train dog.