Pest Control

azhunter

Pest Control

Post by azhunter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:01 pm

The area where I live is divided up into 3+ acre properties. Many of the neighbors have livestock, I do not. I have 2 dogs and try to keep their poop cleaned up, but still have a nasty fly problem. Standard equipment for being outdoors during the warm months includes a flyswatter. I would like to use something environmentally friendly like fly predators, but from what I've read, I don't think that would be effective? I'm also sure that the neighbors aren't or won't be cooperative to do any pest control. Any ideas or recommendations for area-type pest control would be appreciated. Thanks.

Meller

Re: Pest Control

Post by Meller » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:37 pm

You might put out some hanging Fly traps, they work pretty well for me.
I also put up Martin Houses which help with the Horse Flys, Purple Martins love them in thier diet.
Last edited by Meller on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:40 am

Good luck with that one.

I think that is just a problem with rural housing, or what ever you want to call it. Everyone has enough land for a couple of horses, some dogs, maybe a cow, dogs, whatever. But nobody has enough land to get far enough away from neighbors so there livestock don't bother you, there dogs don't bark at you, or whatever.

My parents live in Queen Creek. While all they have is chickens, every one of there nieghbors has horses so the flies are a problem there too. They have tried everything you can buy and nothing works really good. They have something now that seems to help more. They are bags that you add water too and hang in a tree or something. And they stink, really bad, like decaying flesh. So you have to put them on the outskirts of your property, to keep the flys out there.

Larry Garner

Post by Larry Garner » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 am

In my post earlier called Summer Fly Control I addressed the two type of flies,botherers and biters, that are problems around dogs and people. The "stinky" type trap gets the botherer but not the biter. Pesticides spray will kill both types. Flies are transient. Pest flies travel about 1/4 mile ,the biting flies travel about two miles.