Does your dog take laundry?

GSP 4 me

Does your dog take laundry?

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:41 am

I have a GSP that loves to take items for our clothes hamper. He'll sometimes grab a sock, bring it over to his dog bed and leave it beside him. Other times, when he doesn't get something he wants, he'll march right over to the hamper and bring whatever clothing he can grab. I believe part of his obsession may be a soothing "security blanket" feeling he gets, but the latter is simply an attention getter. We do our best to keep the doors to the hamper and bedroom closed, but he is very tactful and determined at times. :D

Do your dogs do the same thing?

megschristina

Re: Does your dog take laundry?

Post by megschristina » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 pm

Yep. Maybe if you give him a dirty old t-shirt he will quit stealing your dirty clothes. Mine loves to sleep on mine, if I leave a T on the floor, he has to lay right on top of it.
The reason a dog has so many friends, is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Jill's Pedigree- http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2120

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Is your GSP taking a particular member of the families cloths? My youngest male GSP has the habit of getting cloths from the closet that are mine and jamming them into his kennel when I am not around. One article at a time. He never touches anyones elses. My older one has a thing for socks...anyones, hamper or clean laundery basket. He will bypass shirts, towels, pants and go right for socks. He loves to toss & chase them around. I think it is a comfort/security thing for my younger one.
Bill L.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:39 pm

My Wirehair loves lingerie. Does not matter, bras, underwear, socks are the best. He likes a stuffed toy in his mouth + a piece of lingerie. Kinda twisted 8)
brenda

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:49 pm

One of my dogs will curl up in the clean laundry basket. Loves the smell of clean linens I guess. Not quite the same as what you were talking about but its close.

Russmill84

Post by Russmill84 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Mine is the ULTIMATE sock destroyer. It doesn't matter whos sock, he will destroy it, and then keep it piled up by his kennel. We never have to wonder who did it.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=1845 "Kickstand"
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2439 "Dash"

" Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" JFK

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm

One of mine steals his blanket out of the hamper anytime my wife puts it in for the wash. He will root everything else out until he gets to his "blankie" and then he struts around with it, just as proud as could be. I think it only gets washed about 1 out of 4 times that it gets in the hamper. I think it is cute....wife doesn't quite agree!!! :twisted:

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Both of mine are SOCK dogs as well, any socks left out or about they are sure to find and they will try to take one and run away with it and hide it in their crates or if they are heading outside they will try to grab one if they can and sneak it out the door with them..I cant count how many SOCKs I have recovered from the backyard that they snuck outside on me :lol:

I think they believe it is a game "hide n go socks" :lol: ...

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:49 pm

Yep, besides socks, Emma's other favorite toy - "un-stuffed" teddy bear that she took from daughter's room. It goes everywhere with her.... so do the socks....

.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

wilsonwires

Post by wilsonwires » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:25 am

My wifes wirehair is a litter mate of Snips and he also likes lingerie. He is always getting my wifes bras and using them as his pillow. But when we go to the field trials he has to have his pink pig and ride on the console.
Ron Wilson
Wilson Wirehairs
Dallas, Georgia

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:45 pm

Both of our GSP's will drag clothes out if they are feeling a bit neglected for attention. The old female seems to know when company is over that coming out with a female undergarment dangling from her mouth will always work. How she knows a sock from a bra or panties I don't know, but she's got it perfected.

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:54 pm

One of my Wirehairs loves damp bath towels. She rolls in them and likes to smell purty. :D She also likes the smell of my teenage sons deoderant and rolls in any clothes he leaves lying on the floor. Must be a Wirehair thang. :wink:
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Thats too funny, my Wire, Amos will roll on fabric softener sheets he finds. Smells like a French *#@*#. :oops: Guess thats better than some things he could roll on!
brenda

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri May 01, 2009 1:57 am

These Wirehairs can be quite bizarre... I have one who isn't so much into socks and undies, but rather little teeny scraps of paper or tiny leaves which he will clutch between his front teeth just oh so delicately. He'll wiggle around just dying for you to take what he has.. problem is you really can't see that teeny scrap under the beard and those big lips. But you can tell when he has something.

We joke that he is bringing us notes that say "Timmy fell in the well!!!!" Good dog Lassie.....
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Fri May 01, 2009 6:34 am

Ha Brenda, you're right about all the less desirable things they could roll in. My oldest Wirehair likes to blissfully roll in dead worms!

Fuzznut, my 'wants to smell purty' Wirehair likes to bring us things too, she loves to go in my son's gym bag, and bring me water bottles, energy bars, baggies of running spikes. She delicately carries them to me, and offers to trade for a dog cookie. She also opens the cookie cabinet and stands there looking longingly into it, but... she won't snitch any, good German Catholic guilt keeps her honest. :) She is also my messenger, if someone on the other end of the house needs something, we just hand it to Ricki, and she delivers the slipper, beer, pair of socks, whatever to them. Wirehairs need jobs! I am teaching all my dogs to find and retrieve shed antlers.
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri May 01, 2009 7:10 am

When Hanna, my year old GSP, comes in the house at night she grabs a shoe, any family members, on her way to her kennel. She still sleeps in her kennel because she has a really liking for "kitty candies" out of the litter box in the laundry room and will make midnight raids for them if she isn't confined.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

My ten month old GSP loves my socks, women's underwear and used facial tissue. She always carries the underwear by the crotch. She will usually proudly prance over to me with the clothing without shredding it. The used facial tissue she will also bring right to me while at the same time trying to moisten it well and get it swallowed before I can remove it from her mouth. At least she doesn't slink off and shred up the clothes but at this age I still keep track of her like we used to with our children when they were toddlers!
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

pstrman

Post by pstrman » Sat May 02, 2009 8:45 am

My Spaniel loves clothes, she will sleep in any pile she can find and I am finding my dirty socks everywhere except where they should be. I am actually thankful though as finally she is preferring them without my feet in them it saving me a lot of money on band aides.

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:31 am

My 11 month old brittany loves to steal socks, she'll dig around everything else for clean or dirty socks. When our dirty cloths are on the floor waiting to be washed she can be at a dead run and snag one with out you ever seeing it. I use to think it was the washer and dryer that kept loosing my socks but we found out its Kiah.

GSPoindexter

Post by GSPoindexter » Sun May 03, 2009 8:09 pm

I left dexter at home this weekend for a guys camping trip. I got a call from my wife halfway to the site saying dexter got mad and carried some of my dirty clothes outside. I think that is his way of throwing a fit. He also pulled the covers off the bed and knocked over the bathroom trash can.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun May 03, 2009 9:11 pm

You guys are all missing a training opportunity.

1. Take the dirty clothes from the hamper
2. Sorty by color & fabrics
3. Open the washing machine door
4. Deposit all whites, detergent, bleach
5. Move to dryer when clean
6. Fluff & fold
7 Leave ironing for the humans
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon May 04, 2009 9:31 am

Scott Linden wrote:You guys are all missing a training opportunity.

6. Fluff & fold
Hey Scott--I didn't know you had a Weimaraner :P

My old girl takes the laundry, but only when she's mad at me. Once, I left her home and took the other dogs hunting. The next day, she took out every thing I had worn in the field, bit a hole in each item, and then put them back in the hamper. So unless I want another pair of crotchless upland pants, I'll never leave old Flair home again! :mrgreen:

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue May 05, 2009 3:20 pm

I have to watch out for the following!:

Socks, gloves, knit hats, baseball hats, tissues, paper towels, remote controls, shoes, towels, water bottles, pens, metal tape measures, door stops, staplers, the couch cover, the rugs we keep in front of the door and I am sure i am missing a few items. He is pretty quiet about grabbing any of these items, but luckily makes a whole lot of racket running away with them. Whenever i am wathcing tv and hear the dog sprinting through the house I know why.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu May 07, 2009 9:42 pm

zzweims wrote:
Scott Linden wrote:You guys are all missing a training opportunity.

6. Fluff & fold
Hey Scott--I didn't know you had a Weimaraner :P

My old girl takes the laundry, but only when she's mad at me. Once, I left her home and took the other dogs hunting. The next day, she took out every thing I had worn in the field, bit a hole in each item, and then put them back in the hamper. So unless I want another pair of crotchless upland pants, I'll never leave old Flair home again! :mrgreen:

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Alas, in this incarnation I'm relegated to owning wires. Perhaps in another life I'll ascend to Weim-hood. Please don't tell my current dog I said that ... I'm short on socks and underwear.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com