selling things online and recieving payment

Addict

selling things online and recieving payment

Post by Addict » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:02 pm

I am selling some extra rifle reloading dies that I found at a yard sale. I posted everything that I have double dies or calibers that I won't use on another site. I have someone interested in purchasing them. I want something that they can't turn around and cancel. Any thoughts as to the best form of payment to recieve?

Addict

Casper

Post by Casper » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:14 pm

probaly a Pay Pal or wester union account. I am not sure what if any costs are involved but the buyer pays Pay Pal and then Pay Pal pays you. same for wester union. Your local bank might have a wireless transfer that you might look into

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:42 pm

Money Order if they're mailing payment.

If you get paid via PayPal (which I use as well for online transactions) then spend the extra little bit to get the cheapest shipping tracking. If PayPal reverses on you (which they probably won't do now that they're dealing with a class action lawsuit for doing immediate reversals of payments) then you have evidence of shipment of a product to dispute the reversal. Also, before you ship if being paid via PayPal, make sure you get a PayPal confirmed address.

For ease of use, though... money order. :D
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:40 am

thanks,

I've never done this before

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:52 am

Ayres said it best. I would do a money order and then makes sure it clears before shipping the item. Paypal is quick but there are fees, I think around 3% of the total price, and if someone makes a complaint then money is in limbo for a long while. It is best to ask for a money order or a bank check. For shipping I use FedEx Ground, mainly because I can track and the buyer as well. This does alot to calm those nervous buyers that are out there. FedEx ground is the cheapest if you can't fit the item in the Express mail envelope.
Now on a side note, when are all of us Utah folks going to get together again. I wanted to see Jinx and Paco again. :rr:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:27 am

Have them get a postal money order. That is as good as cash. Then you don't have to wait for it to clear.
Now on a side note, when are all of us Utah folks going to get together again.
Let's do it.

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:31 am

Thanks guys,

I would definately want to get together again. If you guys want to shoot some birds over your dogs I can get a hold of some ferral birds for $3 a bird.

With hunting going on every free day is spent out in the field or in the hills. I think we ought to get together for a hunt of some kind. Or if you want to train I'm all for that too.

Addict

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:09 am

Paypal only charges a 3% fee IF you get the premier account (the one that lets you accept credit cards). If you stick with the good ol' basic account (prohibits you from accepting credit cards) then you can accept bank transfers instantly, kind of like an e-check, and with no fee whatsoever.

I'll never jump to a premier account simply because they charge 3% on every transaction, regardless of whether it's a credit card or not.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux