DIY Owens Box Question

nitrex

DIY Owens Box Question

Post by nitrex » Fri May 15, 2009 9:58 pm

On the Owens DIY dog boxes, are the sides and top covered with aluminum? The pictures appear that way, but I want to make sure. In the pictures on the internet the sides are red, is that paint? Aluminum?

Thanks,

Nitrex

Ditch__Parrot

Re: DIY Owens Box Question

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri May 15, 2009 11:06 pm

I have not built one. Just looked at them online. In the picks of the kit; it looks to me as if the front including doors, the vents and the edge rails are what you get. The rest (red part) is wood that you provide.

http://www.owens-pro.com/photobook_sear ... s_number=7

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sat May 16, 2009 6:34 am

John,

On the DIY Owens box, the "red parts" you are seeing are plywood, which you must purchase seperately.
I think it's still a good deal, and would be pretty easy to whip out in a hour or two. I have a Owens Pro Series and I love it, However if you don't wanna drop mucho dinero on one, that's the way to go. I think they look nice, and they make a good product.

I guess you haven't floated away yet huh? Is it ever going to stop raining???
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat May 16, 2009 4:52 pm

I haven't finished my Ark, so I hope it stops raining soon. The dogs are enjoying the ponds in the pastures.

The reason I asked, was that I have some large sheets of thin aluminum. Could I cut them to fit and overlay the plywood before gluing and screwing the thing together? Are the clearances "lose" enough to make it work?

Thanks for your input!

Nitrex

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Sun May 17, 2009 7:42 am

I built one a couple of years ago and the corners and the front are diamond plate, the vents are aluminum and the rest is plywood. The corners are 90 degrees, so there isn't much room to get a piece of aluminum between them and the plywood but depending on how thick the aluminum is you could always grind a slot for it to fit or but it up to the edge. If I were to build another I would put some thin sheets of insulation on the inside and cover with 1/4" plywood, but you could always do that later by taking of the top. For the money I don't think you will find (or make) a better box!

Rut

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Sun May 17, 2009 7:53 am

The reason I asked, was that I have some large sheets of thin aluminum. Could I cut them to fit and overlay the plywood before gluing and screwing the thing together? Are the clearances "lose" enough to make it work
I don't own, nor have I built one of these, so take this for what it's worth. I assume it suggests the thickness of plywood to use...let's say 5/8...you could probably go down a thickness and have clearance for thin aluminum. Your box would be lighter as a bonus.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:12 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:
The reason I asked, was that I have some large sheets of thin aluminum. Could I cut them to fit and overlay the plywood before gluing and screwing the thing together? Are the clearances "lose" enough to make it work
I don't own, nor have I built one of these, so take this for what it's worth. I assume it suggests the thickness of plywood to use...let's say 5/8...you could probably go down a thickness and have clearance for thin aluminum. Your box would be lighter as a bonus.
Two things I would be concerned about though is ridgity and dampness under the aluminum which would cause the wood to rot. I think it would be better to let it breathe.

JMO
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue May 19, 2009 7:30 pm

I used to build custom horsetrailers and underneath the living quarters section was 3/4 inch plywood that had a .035 skin contact cemented to it to keep the underside protected from the elements the seams and crossmembers were sealed with a polyurethane caulking and then screwed down.If a person were to adhere the aluminum to the wood there should be no problems.Execute the process exactly like laying a formica countertop.Another way to go would be the FRP panels that can be purchased,I've seen them in white which would give a danged sharp look as well as reflecting the heat of the sun if your located in areas that turn hot and very weather tolerant for those in wet locales.I helped my freind build an aluminium over plywood topper for his truck and it actually turned out pretty good,but it's heavy,he's used it about 8 years now with no problems so far as rotting wood,and it's really wet here on this side of Washington.
ezzy333 wrote:
postoakshorthairs wrote:
Two things I would be concerned about though is ridgity and dampness under the aluminum which would cause the wood to rot. I think it would be better to let it breathe.

JMO
Ezzy