Where will your dollars go?

Scott Linden

Where will your dollars go?

Post by Scott Linden » Fri May 15, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey everyone,

I once asked Pat McManus how many shotguns was enough, and he responded "one more." How about you?

With the economy in suspended animation, we may think twice about what we buy. We'll hunt, sure. But what are you willing to spend your hard earned or hard saved bucks on in the next couple seasons? RV? Shotgun? Lots of ammo? Hunting lodge visit? Garmin Astro?

Well, where are YOUR dollars going this season and next?
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Prairie Hunter

Re: Where will your dollars go?

Post by Prairie Hunter » Fri May 15, 2009 10:23 pm

I’m going to buy a dog trailer. I have too many dogs now to transport them all without a trailer, so it’s either buy a trailer or leave some of the dogs at home. The rest of my hunting budget will be used for my annual hunting trips to MT, KS & SD.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Sat May 16, 2009 7:42 pm

Garmin Astgro, new custom Heskett saddle, a 4 horse trailer with LQs AND A NEW KITCHEN in my 100+ year old farm house :mrgreen:

Grange

Post by Grange » Sat May 16, 2009 8:24 pm

In the next couple months I will be purchasing two remote bird launchers. I've been slowly purchasing training items for my setter pup. The Garmin Astro, as much as I'd like to have one, will probably have to wait until next year.

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 pm

Mostly just hunting trips....self-guided....to South Dakota and Kansas. Just bought an Astro, so other big ticket items are possibly a 12g twice barreled shotgun and maybe a remote bird launcher or two. Getting bad when I can't really think of anything I need, but then some creative type will come out the next-year's must-have-gadget and I'll be right in line!!!

Randy

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat May 16, 2009 9:36 pm

Wife and I taking two trips to Kansas with an outfitter, pay for two leases in northwest Texas, and 6 ply tires for the Polaris Ranger..Will probably be looking for a new pup in the next 12 months. Gosh..Looking at that on paper, wife and I may need to go to the MWF program ( thats eating Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's). Forgot, sending one dog to North Dakota for the Summer..(so make that the Tuesday and Thursday program)

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun May 17, 2009 8:43 am

Already bought a 2nd remote launcher a couple months ago. Finished a 2nd pigeon coop recently. I don't know how a 4' x 8' shack can cost so much to build. :roll: Working on a 8' x 16' quail pen now, which of course I'll have to fill at $5 a bird. Have a 2nd, 3 week old gsp staggering around a whelping box in GA right now. So there will be additional Garmin and Tritronics add-on collars in our future. Definitely saving for some hunting trips this fall, maybe SD and KS. Husband wants a 20 gauge.....instead of his 12. :roll: And someone just posted about the Tritronics Tracer :twisted: , so I think we'll have to add that to Roxi's collar. That MWF program is looking good, but I might have to scale it back a bit. :?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Made a few changes recently.

Upgraded my truck to a later model and went from gas to diesel and upgraded my horse trailer from a 2 horse straight load to a 3 horse slant. Both were used. Could not justify(or afford)buying new.

I also lost my oldest dog so I will be looking for a puppy over the next year or so. No hurry on that. I have four dogs that I can compete with right now and that is about two too many. If I can get a pup out of the kind of breeding I want, I will go for it. Otherwise I will play the hand I have.

If the dogs show me they are competitive, I will attend a few more trials farther out next season. If not, I will play closer to home. The AKC pointer nationals are coming East to Wye Is., MD next season so I will be budgeting for that one. I have one youngster to get qualified for that and if that happens I might just be running all four dogs in both the open and amateur stakes (at $125 a pop). My wife does not know that yet.

I have a feeling that I will be budgeting an increasing amount for fuel, no matter what.

RayG

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sun May 17, 2009 11:08 pm

Looking at a 20 ga. over/under (top of my list). I also want my pup (actually will be running adult stakes this fall... fingers crossed). I'd like her to get as many gundog stakes as possible so she knows what's expected to be competitive in the next few years. I already have the Astro, so I'd like to say a horse, but that's just not going to happen. Maybe I'll just convince my wife we need another britt puppy! With more dogs, I can justify the new truck a little easier, then the dog trailer, then the horse and trailer etc. My wife won't buy it just yet with only one dog doing trials in the US.

I'd like to do some hunting in NY, VT areas this fall as well, so non-resident licences, accomodations and such as I'll be looking at public land. Gotta save my $$ for some upgrades in the house tho....

IANative

Post by IANative » Mon May 18, 2009 7:27 am

Limited budget this year. Already made the decision forego the annual trip to South Dakota, as much as that hurt. So, this year's investments will be:

1. e-collar
2. quail, for the johnny house built last fall
3. continuing/maintaining my memberships in DU, PF/QF and NRA

gus

Post by gus » Mon May 18, 2009 8:23 am

I guess im going to break the bank this year. I built a pigeon coop about 8 years ago and its time to fill it. My wife's new Brittany has got me in the mood to do some upland hunting again, so I put a deposit on a gsp pup for the spring. I have a list of training equipment that I have started to purchase. e-collar, astro, 4 remote launchers. I also plan on putting up a 12' x 48' flight pen in sept. Keith

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon May 18, 2009 9:05 am

My budget has already been spent on new kennels. Along with finishing them up, I'll need a couple more remote launchers, and will need to build a pigeon coop and quail flight pen, but those will be side projects. The most important thing isn't any of the stuff, it's being able to get out with the dogs whilst the projects are continually ongoing.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

jetto

Post by jetto » Mon May 18, 2009 11:42 am

Hubby is still not back to work after winter lay-off...So we've changed our goals for the summer. We're cutting out all but maybe 2 or 3 shows- and only those that are specialties put on by our own clubs that we have to go to anyway. We have a water pump to replace in the camper that went out this weekend at a trial. One Brittany for sure is going to GD nationals in the amateur in October and if we get anyone else qualified in the fall- them too. So need to start saving for that. The youngest Irish Setter is going to the IS national field trial for the futurity at the very least so need to budget for that. Sending him with his other "moms" so at least we don't have to make the trip to Booneville which will save us money. But he'll need some time with the field trainer for more horseback handling experience before that so gotta budget that in also.

On the plus side the pigeon coop is done and we already have two sets of squeekers. Very happy about having a constant supply of birds for training. So I think most of our summer will be spent training dogs. Not a bad way to spend it. Will miss going to the shows we usually hit but I can live without it for a summer. And we've found several more training areas to utilize so another plus.

No big purchases in our future however. Would love to get a Garmin but don't see that happening for awhile. A motorhome, horse and trailer is only a far off dream but thankfully we have alot of walking trials in our area and trials with walking stakes. We can make do for now til we get too old to walk! LOL! Kristi

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm

College for my kid is first, son wants a pony soooo even tho I hate horses..... mower is getting long in the tooth need a newer one with at least a 48 in cut. 20 cattle panels for the new addition to the feed lot. We hunt local so not much to do about that cept for a tank of gas now and then. Dogs are ready as usual, got collars and didnt need to use em once last season. Got a shotgun that is 3 years old so nothing there. Always have kept it low budget and will continue to do so.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon May 18, 2009 2:51 pm

We're looking to buy our fourth home, this one near where we hunt in ND. Plan to buy an airplane 'cause we're getting older and feel a sense of urgency to waste less of the time we have left sitting behind the windshield of a car.
Last edited by BigShooter on Tue May 19, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon May 18, 2009 9:25 pm

BigShooter wrote:I'm looking to buy our fourth home, this one near where we hunt in ND. Plan to buy an airplane 'cause I'm getting older and feel a sense of urgency to waste less of the time I have left sitting behind the windshield of a car.
Big: I'm currently seeking an adoptive father ... interested?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 19, 2009 9:21 am

Scott Linden wrote:Big: I'm currently seeking an adoptive father ... interested?
I'm always looking for a return on my investments. I figure that's about $150,000 apiece invested into each of our four sons. We've made an exception for the children and they are only required to pay back 50% of the principal and they get a credit of $25,000 for each grandchild produced. The first credit is due within a week and a half. Of course then under the table they get credits for returning our love, accompanying us on hunting trips, attending family gatherings, helping with driving to Colorado to get a bitch bred, etc. I doubt if I'll ever see a dime but it ended up being a pretty good investment!

S.L. If I were younger I'd consider it. Being a little older we're having that mid-life crisis and kind of want to start doing a few things for ourselves while we can still get around. Thanks for the offer, though. I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with making sure your own parents get a good return on their investment.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue May 19, 2009 9:50 am

We're in the market for a 2nd horse, saddle, tack, etc., etc., just had the bathroom remodeled, just replaced my tow vehicle and put a cap on it, have several other smaller DIY home improvement projects planned, and of course, saving up for a week in Ionia, Michigan for the ABC Gun Dog Nationals. I plan to show Blaze & Tessa a little this summer, hopefully finishing Tessa (she needs 3 single points). Of course, Chloe will stay with the trainer, Blaze will be back with him in July or August for his fall tune-up. Tessa is probably being bred this fall, so I don't have plans to send her back to the trainer until the pups are weaned. Would love to replace my horse trailer, but may overhaul it instead and replace next year. MAYBE get a Garmin, but friends have already said they're getting one and will share, so it's not a priority.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

WingmanCA

Post by WingmanCA » Tue May 19, 2009 9:57 am

Since we've gotten a raise now that our sons are both out on their own, I can afford to expand my dog operations a little. We have added 3 new pups to our string, so I'm planning on getting an 8 dog topper for my F-350.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue May 19, 2009 10:30 am

I will be adding onto my operations here. New Office, Kennels, and an addition to the flight pen. I think if I try for anything else I might have to also pay for a divorce. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Wed May 20, 2009 12:16 pm

therse a few guns on my list that i want most arnt shot guns but a couple that id like to get now befor we end up with another ban that and a dog box and a "new " used truck
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 pm

BigShooter wrote:
Scott Linden wrote:Big: I'm currently seeking an adoptive father ... interested?
I'm always looking for a return on my investments. I figure that's about $150,000 apiece invested into each of our four sons. We've made an exception for the children and they are only required to pay back 50% of the principal and they get a credit of $25,000 for each grandchild produced. The first credit is due within a week and a half. Of course then under the table they get credits for returning our love, accompanying us on hunting trips, attending family gatherings, helping with driving to Colorado to get a bitch bred, etc. I doubt if I'll ever see a dime but it ended up being a pretty good investment!

S.L. If I were younger I'd consider it. Being a little older we're having that mid-life crisis and kind of want to start doing a few things for ourselves while we can still get around. Thanks for the offer, though. I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with making sure your own parents get a good return on their investment.
Oh well. You don't get if you don't ask. I'm betting you've seen a good ROI.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 am

BigShooter wrote:We're looking to buy our fourth home, this one near where we hunt in ND. Plan to buy an airplane 'cause we're getting older and feel a sense of urgency to waste less of the time we have left sitting behind the windshield of a car.
Okay, this has gone on long enough. I'll fess up ... I was just having some fun with the thread.

I'm not planning to buy a fourth home in a half abandoned prarie town in N.D. this year. - That's brother #1. However I will be helping with clean up, remodeling and converting the garage into bedrooms for our new hunting camp.

I'd love to buy a plane but I'd have to get a pilot's license first. It's been about 30 years since I logged any flight time behind the controls. - This is brother #2. I will however be happy to ride along & keep the plane straight and level on long trips. :D

The part about my four sons is true.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

texscala

Post by texscala » Thu May 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Tuition and fees for next year are about $19, 500. Other than that I will be getting an out of state license for Idaho (they were nice enough to increase the this year), If I get a big male sage grouse might have to put him on the wall, considering a trip to Nebraska but not sure that will go through.

Most of the supplies for me will have to wait until I graduate in 2010 at which time I will be looking for pup #2, a new Garmin, new double barrel, and whatever else I can get away with.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 pm

Finish my kennel, pup from snips, money for trialing and testing.

I know it's hateful but I like you better now that I know your just a wise@$$ and not filthy rich!!! :D :D :lol:

Okay, this has gone on long enough. I'll fess up ... I was just having some fun with the thread.

I'm not planning to buy a fourth home in a half abandoned prarie town in N.D. this year. - That's brother #1. However I will be helping with clean up, remodeling and converting the garage into bedrooms for our new hunting camp.

I'd love to buy a plane but I'd have to get a pilot's license first. It's been about 30 years since I logged any flight time behind the controls. - This is brother #2. I will however be happy to ride along & keep the plane straight and level on long trips.

The part about my four sons is true.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 21, 2009 4:38 pm

:D
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Johnk

Post by Johnk » Thu May 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Big Shooter.......what are your plans with all these high powered pups you have out here in Colorado?
They just spent their day at "show 'n tell" at Paige's last school day.
Well socialized and looking forward to their "photo session" this weekend. Big crowd coming in to visit!

How about that 5th home in Montana with unlimitted chicken and huns that we have under contract, you're not backing out are you ?
jk

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu May 21, 2009 5:35 pm

Shhhh ... what our wives don't know can't be used against us !! :lol: :lol:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu May 21, 2009 9:31 pm

From reading these posts, I don't think I make enough money to be a member of this forum. :lol:
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

DesertRoseKennel

Post by DesertRoseKennel » Thu May 21, 2009 10:29 pm

Our big dog related expense each year is going to the GSPCA National Amateur Championship in Eureka. This year, it will be only slightly more costly than the unplanned c-section. If only to be rich....Or at least have rich relatives. I have neither. :roll:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:56 am

birddogger wrote:From reading these posts, I don't think I make enough money to be a member of this forum. :lol:
You aren't alone. There are still quite a few people who just want a hunting dog but still hunt with the same old guns that shoot just as well as the new ones and the same old vests and clothes that they have had for years and believe it or not but we still have just as much fun as everyone else. And our dogs seem just as happy too.

Stick around as there is no code as to the right or even the best way to enjoy your dog in the field. It's what makes you happy that is important.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri May 22, 2009 8:25 am

I've got enough guns- owe my brother a return trip to fish and hunt in Alaska

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun May 24, 2009 12:21 pm

I usually buy what I need when I need it. Note I said "need' not "want". I want a lot of stuff I don't need. I don't have enough money to get what I want, but I can usually afford what I need.

It's deciding whether I really need, or just want something is where I run into trouble... :D

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 am

DesertRoseKennel wrote:Our big dog related expense each year is going to the GSPCA National Amateur Championship in Eureka. This year, it will be only slightly more costly than the unplanned c-section. If only to be rich....Or at least have rich relatives. I have neither. :roll:
I'm guessing you have both as true riches (and happiness) are found in the heart --- not in the pocket book. :wink:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM