Can a Flushing dog be used in Grouse woods?

sgc

Can a Flushing dog be used in Grouse woods?

Post by sgc » Fri May 22, 2009 3:56 pm

I'm new to bird dogs. Can a Flushing dog be used proficiently in the Northern Grouse woods? Just looking for some talk on how this might work. I imagine the dog would have to hunt close, but would like to hear thoughts.

Shadow

Re: Can a Flushing dog be used in Grouse woods?

Post by Shadow » Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 pm

family and relatives thought so- just south of Bemidji, Minn- when we could just about walk and thru college we hunted just Golden Retrievers- taught them early to stay within 30 yards and flush- we'd let them go out that distance in front, to the sides, to the back- they were to flush not stop-

a flusher generally you have to be quick on the shoot- and alert-

mater of fact- when I started down here with pointing dogs I challenged my brother- his Golden against my EP-

cesarike

Post by cesarike » Fri May 22, 2009 10:19 pm

Flushing breeds can be used quite successfully on Ruffed Grouse and Woodcock.

Its true you have to watch, but generally a flusher gets quite animated when its on a bird. Therefore his body language should tip you off.

A Cocker Spaniel name derived from hunting woodcock. I've hunted with Springers Labs and Goldens and they all led me to birds.

sgc

Post by sgc » Sat May 23, 2009 5:45 am

Thanks, I've been leaning toward picking up a Boykin & was wondering how it would work on Grouse up here in Michigan. I'm looking for a mid to smaller size dog thats easy to train as a bird hunter and would also be a good family pet.

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Mon May 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Don't monkey around....go right to the best. A dog that points them...... :lol: