just moved to Idaho

maverick351

just moved to Idaho

Post by maverick351 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:26 pm

I have just relocated to Nampa just outside of Boise Idaho. I am mainly into upland hunting and some waterfowl. I was curious if there was anyone in the area to shoot the bull with about hunting and maybe get together with sometime. I am currently training a Pointing Lab for both my upland and waterfowl huns. So far he is doing well and excells at water retrieves. Any one interested let me know and lets talk or maybe get the dogs together for some running around. Thanks to all.

maverick351

Re: just moved to Idaho

Post by maverick351 » Sun May 24, 2009 5:07 pm

come on guys 64 views and no one can help me out at all? I took someones advice and went to a state specific site for Utah and can find some information but would appreciate some one from Idaho. Thanks for the help and info.

jwenorthpark

Post by jwenorthpark » Sun May 24, 2009 8:24 pm

maybe try idaho fish and game?

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/

i used to live out there. there's plenty to hunt, but, in my experience, the best thing to do is to look at a map and hit the road.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon May 25, 2009 8:28 am

You should contact the Idaho short hair and brittany clubs. They both run trials not too far from you.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Mon May 25, 2009 9:17 am

Hi Maverick - I'm on the other side of the state and don't know squatola 'bout labs but welcome!! I think 3Britts probably has the right idea referring you to a couple of the dog clubs because I'd be willin' to bet they could put ya' in contact with some retriever folk or have ya' out for some of their fun day get togethers. My buddy Rich Heaton is over there and doesn't know squat 'bout labs either but that won't stop him from givin' ya' advice!! :lol: :lol: He had a good size group of guys doing some versatile or NAVHDA training across from his place the other day with a bunch of different breeds of dogs so he maybe got a name or contact from those guys as well.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Mon May 25, 2009 8:05 pm

DGFavor wrote:My buddy Rich Heaton is over there and doesn't know squat 'bout labs either but that won't stop him from givin' ya' advice!!
Chit ya,,,, what ya need to know,, I've retrieved 10x more birds than my dogs have ever thought about retrieving.

Ever heard of a guy named Jeff Weber,,,,, he's the one ya got to get in contact with.

cody

Post by cody » Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 pm

Maverick,

Here is a site you might find some good stuff on. http://www.uplandidaho.com/ Not quite the same as UBD but still pretty good.

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon May 25, 2009 10:35 pm

R-Heaton wrote:Chit ya,,,, what ya need to know,, I've retrieved 10x more birds than my dogs have ever thought about retrieving.
Man I gotta start hunting with you more often. Sounds like your better at running down them cripples better than I can. My sniffer just doesnt work good enough to pick up foot scent. Ive even spent 30 min looking for a bird that was dead lying in plain sight :?

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

thanks to everyone for all the help. ill see who i can track down and talk with in idaho. the links you have posted have been great. does anyone know if you can just go view the trials and tests just as a spectator to enjoy the dogs. hope to see some of you out in the field.

cody

Post by cody » Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 am

There is a NAVHDA test in a couple of weeks, you can check there website for directions and exact date. They encourage people to come out and watch.

R-Middleton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by R-Middleton » Tue May 26, 2009 11:38 am

Hi Maverick,

I live and train bird dogs up above Weiser, and would be glad to talk about training. Give me a call.

298-355-1066

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Tue May 26, 2009 4:31 pm

Welcome to Idaho.

There are alot of hunting opportunities out here. People are general pretty tight lipped about locations since there seems to be a lot of hunting pressure on areas around Boise. But send me an email and we can talk.

Tom
Tom

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Wed May 27, 2009 7:42 am

Thanks for the response guys. Hopefully I will be chatting with some of you and meeting up someday soon. The links are awesome and exactly what I was looking for. This is a great site and can be very informative when everyone works together.