How much should the pup weigh?

southernblues

How much should the pup weigh?

Post by southernblues » Tue May 26, 2009 3:22 pm

Had the first vet checkup last week (11 weeks old) since I got him at 8 weeks. Vet said all was good, had a bacteria rash thing going on his belly which he would scoot around the yard as if stretching/scratching underneath. Got him on antibiotics twice/day and at day 4, it's gone.

She said he had a faint murmur but hesitates telling owners as lots of pups have this. She wasn't concerned at all -- would check it next time to see if it's more present but thinks it's nothing.

One thing I forgot to ask was how big should he be at this time? I've had Great Danes to Boxers and in between -- I know Brits don't get real big but at 11 weeks he weighed around 11.5 pounds. I figure if she was worried she would have something. I've read that at 14 weeks they should be about half of what their adult weight would be...?? Any truth to this?

WingmanCA

Re: How much should the pup weigh?

Post by WingmanCA » Tue May 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Do you know anything about the pup's parents? Are they big or small for Brits? I weighed my pups at 11 weeks, last week, the largest was 16.4 lbs, the smallest was 14.2 lbs.

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue May 26, 2009 5:04 pm

The sire was nice sized. I don't have the actuals but definitely what I would call upper third (perception) in most Brits (size). Mom was a little smaller but I also took in consideration her raising 8 new pups.

Hmmm. Interesting -- may just have a smaller Brit...

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue May 26, 2009 5:10 pm

A few things to note:

He gets lots of exercise. At least twice a day, sometimes 3 we walk the 15 acre field behind us. It's a good 20-30 minute walkabout. Of course all the yard playing and chasing kids and the cocker spaniel.

We feed him the Purina Pro Plan puppy mix. I've noticed he doesn't go crazy on it like he will our cocker's IAM's food. Maybe he's not keen to it..? Should I change up his food maybe to something else?

We were running the field today -- caught wind or scent of some birds and locked up like he was meanin' business. Definitely got a bold look to him, loves the water and all the noises of the country (tractors and trains) don't bother him...I know this is little off-topic but trying to compensate in my mind here....;)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue May 26, 2009 5:32 pm

My understanding is that at 16 weeks a sporting breed dog will be roughly half of it's adult weight. Might be just an old wives tale.

RayG

solon

Post by solon » Tue May 26, 2009 6:43 pm

I have tracked the weight of many Small Munsterlanders and now a couple of setters. They do seem to reach about 1/2 their mature weight at around 15-16 wks of age. This is assuming their mature weight is a fit weight. Other breeds may have somewhat different growth curves, but I suspect the Britt is similar to the SM and setter.

11.5 lbs at 11 wks would predict a mature weight of about 36 to 38 lbs at maturity. That would not be an unusual size for a female Britt.

Solon

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue May 26, 2009 8:43 pm

solon wrote: 11.5 lbs at 11 wks would predict a mature weight of about 36 to 38 lbs at maturity. That would not be an unusual size for a female Britt.

Solon
It's a male.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Thats about average for a male also. Rush is about 34 lbs and Time is 36 or so. Rush is a smaller male but all muscle while Time will get heavy in a blink of an eye if you don't restrict her feed. I just wouldn't worry about the size since you won't know till he is through growing and there is absolutely nothing you can do to change it.

Enjoy the pup while he is a pup. The work is still in front of you.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.