NGSPA Sharptail

R-Heaton

NGSPA Sharptail

Post by R-Heaton » Wed May 27, 2009 1:22 pm

Does anybody have any dates yet or who the judges are going to be?

Dave Quindt

Re: NGSPA Sharptail

Post by Dave Quindt » Wed May 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Rich,

There's nothing on the NGSPA website. Best bet would be to contact NGSPA President Mike Aldrich at mike@ngspa-online.org .

Hope this helps,
Dave

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Wed May 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Is it not normally the weekend of Labor Day or immediately after. No posting yet and I think Tom Oswald is in charge. I will send him an e mail.

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 am

Thanks Jerry,,, any word yet? Haven't heard back from Mike Aldrich yet?

As anybody planning on going?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 am

Y do you wunna know pointerboy?? Quit worryin' about us shortails and try and figure out how Lester's Snowwatch earned 2700 more points than you last season!! :lol: :lol:

Not gonna make it this year. Gonna try somethin' different and go throw my hat in the ring at the Montana SD and Reg. 14 Am. SD instead a couple weeks earlier - just to the north in Circle. Fits my schedule better and I like to take my whoopin's at multiple venues!! :lol: :lol: Gotta get started on the conditioning though here soon - it's gonna come up on us fast!!

The NGSPA Sharptail is usually around the Labor Day weekend. Usually plenty of birds, beautiful country, and good folks for sure!

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Thu May 28, 2009 1:22 pm

DGFavor wrote:Y do you wunna know pointerboy
Well,,, seeing how I was going to be back there,,,, was going to see if they needed another judge. In prior years there has been some controversy with the running of the trial and as I recall the best retort to that has always been,,, "why don't you offer to help" so I thought I would offer to help. But now is the time to make those arrangements and find ways to improve. Afterall I think its the only wild bird trial in the country for the GSP's,,, we should make it the best.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu May 28, 2009 1:52 pm

R-Heaton wrote:
DGFavor wrote:Y do you wunna know pointerboy
Well,,, seeing how I was going to be back there,,,, was going to see if they needed another judge. In prior years there has been some controversy with the running of the trial and as I recall the best retort to that has always been,,, "why don't you offer to help" so I thought I would offer to help. But now is the time to make those arrangements and find ways to improve. Afterall I think its the only wild bird trial in the country for the GSP's,,, we should make it the best.
There are 2 other wild bird championships in Nebraska. Region 17, and The Prarie Chicken. They run right after the Sharptail.

Doug

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu May 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Rich

Sent an e mail and not heard from Tom yet, did it though. It would be great to get to go out there someday.

Jerry
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Thu May 28, 2009 5:27 pm

DGFavor wrote:Y do you wunna know pointerboy?? Quit worryin' about us shortails and try and figure out how Lester's Snowwatch earned 2700 more points than you last season!! :lol: :lol:

Not gonna make it this year. Gonna try somethin' different and go throw my hat in the ring at the Montana SD and Reg. 14 Am. SD instead a couple weeks earlier - just to the north in Circle. Fits my schedule better and I like to take my whoopin's at multiple venues!! :lol: :lol: Gotta get started on the conditioning though here soon - it's gonna come up on us fast!!

The NGSPA Sharptail is usually around the Labor Day weekend. Usually plenty of birds, beautiful country, and good folks for sure!

Hope you are ready for it - I am bringing a bunch of llewellins to that one.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri May 29, 2009 5:17 am

I am for the first time planning on being there.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Fri May 29, 2009 10:18 am

Jerry,,,,, is your trainer going back with your dog this year? By the looks of those pics Doug took,,, the weather was must have been cool.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri May 29, 2009 11:12 am

I agree with the cool. I had always had a dog at the trial since I went to Rich, he left there last year so angry that we have not entered a trial where the one judge who was there had judged since then. I mean there is a number of championships and big one that we did not enter. Rich just syas that I have never won when he judged.

Sooooo, I would say that since he is less then 200 miles from there at Carson ND that if the judging panel is good he will go. Tom has asked me in the past and nopw with my new knee might like to go and do that one myself. If we go I might just come out and stay.

Jerry

Does that make sense???????????????
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Fri May 29, 2009 11:36 am

Yea,,, makes sense to me,, sounds like there could be a fairly decent turnout this year. Any word on the judges yet?

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 pm

Hey Joe that's awesome! Jer, you'd have a blast. It's a fun deal - great camp spot, cool little town, neat country with lots of wildlife. The local vet is totally hot!! I think my buddy that lives near there is gonna go down and help get the courses laid out a little more in advance this year so those guys are doin' what they can to make 'er run smooth! It's a big undertaking and from year to year the courses need to be altered depending on the growth of the grass, what's been harvested/not harvested, where ya' can drive a dog truck/where ya' can't, etc. Personally, I'd love to see that trial be the premier shorthair event of the year - as far as I'm concerned, run the Nat'ls there!! :lol:

Hey Keith - did you mean you are goin' to the Montana SD Ch with your Lews?? Sounds great and hope you lay it to us man...but you better be ready too!! :wink: :lol:

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Fri May 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Rich,

I think you should get yourself a short tailed dog.

Steve

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Doug - Yes, at the Montana SD, I really liked the course and people last year. So, I am gonna go back this year. We'll be ready - whether we will be ready enough - well, we will have to turn them loose and let em rip. But, I have already started working my dogs - just knowing you were going to be there made me re-double my efforts - knowing I am gonna need all the help I can get :wink: :lol:

Keith
Last edited by Wa Chukar Hunter on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sat May 30, 2009 1:02 pm

Mike emailed back and said they are trying to start around Sept 1 and working on judges. Do ya think its important to have GSP people judge gsp's or would you rather see judges brought in from other circles?

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Sat May 30, 2009 3:16 pm

I yhave no issue with judges from other breeds, I do like to have a shared gsp and something else judge iuf the person is not a shorthair owner/handler. I have seen some different breed judges that look at things differently but I will not spell that out.

Just to be a very knowledgeable bird dog person is my thing. I like the dogs that I like for the reasons that I like them. Won't go into what makes a winner but they are just the winner.

Talked to Barber today and we are planning on being there. Ekalaka that is

Jerry
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

Razor

Post by Razor » Sat May 30, 2009 4:35 pm

R-Heaton wrote:Mike emailed back and said they are trying to start around Sept 1 and working on judges. Do ya think its important to have GSP people judge gsp's or would you rather see judges brought in from other circles?
I would like to see you and Marty, or Ziggy judge the AA.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sat May 30, 2009 8:35 pm

If I had my druthers the judges would be guys/gals with tons and tons of wild bird experience. IMO, judges only used to or exposed to the pen bird/thrash a bush till a bird comes out venues don't always have an understanding of good wild bird work when they see it. I was at a trial once and watched Stitch go over the horizon and disappear a good 4 or 5" to the front. Just as we crested the ridge where we last saw him a covey of huns busts out and 15yds off to the side in the sage is the dog standin' like a million bucks. I jump off, blank, and just as I'm about to turn loose to get down course the judge says "now go get a clean one..." Uh, yah...:roll: (not to mention he called 'em a covey of quail!! :lol: :lol: ) If we'd have been hunting and I had my Tracker in hand to know the dog was standing, those woulda been birds in the stewpot. If I'm judgin', it's a good piece o' real world work. :lol: :lol:

Grab a couple of local birdhunters off the bar from the Buckhorn Tavern, mount 'em up and let them judge!! :lol: :lol:

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Geesshh, Doug. You make it sound like I'd be a good judge.
Regards
Gary
Oh,that is a nice pic of your weimerweiner with that bobwhite quail there.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sun May 31, 2009 12:53 am

I personally would like to see Eldon in the judges saddle,,,, I just think that guy has got game. Another good candidate would be Gary Brown out of Oregon, Neil Mason from Calgary or Douglas Hungarious Favor out of Wildbirdsville. The reality is if you work on it right now, there is enough pros up there and the stakes are really not big enough to take up to much time,,,,,that I'm sure you could get some real big players to come help out,,,, just got to ask.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Sun May 31, 2009 5:53 am

Did not the fellas from Idaho stay and hunt a spell either before or after the trial last year. Now I could really get into that and shoot some of the birds I have not hunted since I was last in Saskatchewan.

Does that idea offer any appeal to any one?

Jerry

Your ideas are right on Rich.
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

Anaconda Pintler

Post by Anaconda Pintler » Sun May 31, 2009 7:19 am

Ther are no birds around there except right on the course the rest of the area is vacant of birds, really a wierd deal, I know!! :wink: :twisted:
Has nothing to do with luck just boot leather and a fine GWP...

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Sun May 31, 2009 8:22 am

So that's what Wiems and quail look like! Is that dog a male or female. :)

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sun May 31, 2009 8:24 pm

Talked with Tom Davis today,,,, sounds like a plan has been hatched to keep things running smooth. Now he didn't say this but from my experience I'm sure he could use some volunteers. I'm not talking people that get there and throw out the "let me know if you need help" I'm talking the type of help that calls ahead of time and volunteers to take over a duty/chore. Volunteers to be in charge of water on course or camp,,, prepping lunches,,,, dog wagon,,,,, hay,,,,,drinks on the dog wagon,,, dog water on the dog wagon,,,,, snacks on the dog wagon,,,, someone making sure a few bags of ice get to camp everyday,,,,,,one person to give entries to,,,, the list goes on and on. I know some of these things seem trivial but if the Field Trial Chairman can cross it off his list and not have to worry about it,,, it sure does help and divided up its not the tough, I mean how hard is it to make sure a 5 gallon can of water is on the dog wagon every mornning without having to be asked.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:45 pm

A couple years ago, my friend/mentor Lou Gleber judged the NGSPA Sharp-Tail said the grounds were great. Also, said something about seeing some nice dogs from the Idaho/Indiana boys - Couldn't have been talking about Doug/Jerry's dogs :wink: :mrgreen: - Could he?

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:59 am

Yup, a couple of years ago, LB kinda lit the place up, Doug's little boy was real good as well. I think LB won both of the stakes, OSD and AA

Jerry
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:38 am

Weren't my dogs - that place has got my number. The year Lou was there my dogs stank up the place...and the year before that...then the year after that. I've been there 3 times... :lol: :lol: My buddy Alex and his dog have had some good outings there though so I try to blend into their runs!! :lol: :lol:

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:28 am

Hotpepper wrote:Yup, a couple of years ago, LB kinda lit the place up, Doug's little boy was real good as well. I think LB won both of the stakes, OSD and AA

Jerry
I remember LB from an Inland Empire GSP Trial in fall of 2004? It was at Fishtrap. LB won the Open AA, Doug's dog Stitch was 2nd ( I think that was the year Stitch won the Idaho SD Championship?) and thanks to Doug's scouting my setter Tanner was 3rd. I really enjoyed watching LB and Stitch run and knew before I cut my dog loose the bar was pretty high. I was happier than a pig in poop, when Tanner did a nice enough job to place at that trial.

Both of those GSP's are very nice.

Keith

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:42 pm

I do believe that Stitch and LB's momma's were litter sisters. Think so. If he got Stitch from Peggy then I know so.

My wife came by just now and had a fit over the pictures that Doug took, attaboy Dour Doctor.

I ran under an allage judge from Boise who was a long tail fella and cannot remember his name. It was quite an amateur stake, LB won, Moon was 2nd and Ben was 3rd. Man what a ride and watch out there.

Does anyone know his name? Love to run with him again. Is a very good judge. He has judged a number of championships.

Jerry
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:12 am

Hey pepper, since your going to be there this year why dont you volunter to be the scribe, since your going up to summer camp in north dakota its the least you could do for oswald and davis?????????????

Razor

Post by Razor » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Has any one heard the order of the stakes?

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:29 pm

The Running Order from what I understand is the AA, OSD, Derby and ASD. Razor you coming up this year,,,, you'd be perfect to make sure there is an ice chest on the truck in the mornings. :D

Razor

Post by Razor » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:32 pm

I will do something.