What do you think

mnguy152

What do you think

Post by mnguy152 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:13 am

First wish to thank your for good info i have been getting here. Now for the question planning to get my first gun dog. Been looking at a brittany or a springer, Plans for this dog will be living in the house with us(wife myself and 2 kids 12 and 9) house dog 1st and hunter 2nd. How bad do they shed and emperment in side the house. Like come into the house and lay around or running in circles. thanks for your help.

jetto

Re: What do you think

Post by jetto » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:13 am

We had one field Springer in our home for a few weeks and she was about as active as the Brits. Shedding seemed to be about the same also. I think you need to decide if you want to hunt behind a flushing dog or a pointing dog. There is a HUGE difference in the way the two breeds hunt and cover ground. The field springer we fostered looked so much like a Brittany she was pulled from a shelter by Brittany rescue. When she got to my house and stood beside my Brits I said "uh oh, don't think this is a Brittany". When I took her to the field on a checkcord I knew she wasn't a Brittany, lol....I think you need to look further into the hunting styles and differences in the two breeds in the field. JMO. Kristi

WiskeyJaR

Post by WiskeyJaR » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:33 am

Check out the Large Munsterlanders. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/largemunsterlander.htm I have a 2 year old that lives in house with us. Is calm for the most part when in house, was a little hyper as a pup, but is calming more the older she gets. Have a 4 year old granddaughter that Dutchess gets along great with, kid climbs all over Dutchess <dog> with no worries. Very "trainable" and very "birdie", she learns faster then her trainer...me :roll: She doesnt seem to be dog aggersive at all, has been around serveral different breeds while training. Never any aggersion, but does want to "play and run" with just about any dog she meets. She meet a grouchy Griff the other day, she tried once to get him to play, Griff growled, Dutchess walked away and never gave him a second thought.
She does shed some, not bad but does shed.

Good luck on choosing a dog.
WiskeyJaR

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 pm

I would go find a breeder or two, of each breed you are looking at. See the dogs work in the field, and see if the style of work is what you are looking for. I know Brittany's, and in my case French Brittany's are great dogs in the house. They love to be around people, and while they are excited when I first get home, and are rambucious, they settle down pretty quick.

You won't have to look far to find breeders, just depends on what part of the State you are in, judging by your screen name, i surmise Minnesota, and I know a couple of Brittany Breeders, both American and French Brittany's, around the metro area.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:00 pm

jetto wrote:We had one field Springer in our home for a few weeks and she was about as active as the Brits. Shedding seemed to be about the same also. I think you need to decide if you want to hunt behind a flushing dog or a pointing dog. There is a HUGE difference in the way the two breeds hunt and cover ground. The field springer we fostered looked so much like a Brittany she was pulled from a shelter by Brittany rescue. When she got to my house and stood beside my Brits I said "uh oh, don't think this is a Brittany". When I took her to the field on a checkcord I knew she wasn't a Brittany, lol....I think you need to look further into the hunting styles and differences in the two breeds in the field. JMO. Kristi
this is number 1 advice-

I've had American Brittany's since 1980- kennel/house/yard- never noticed a shedding problem- never noticed a wildness in the house- never noticed difficult house training- it's all in how young and how you first relate with the pup- get one early like 7 weeks- think about how you want that pup raised and what you expect

btw jetto- nice lookin Britt

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:25 am

Thank you Shadow....He is our first field titled dog and our first show champion...And we couldn't have asked for a better dog to get started in the field trial game....he is very forgiving of any mistakes made, lol...I keep telling my husband that he needs to let me start handling Jet in the field so he can get more involved with our young dogs but he just won't give him up.... :mrgreen:

that little field Springer we had was a ball of fire in the field....Had we not been getting so involved with the pointing breeds at the time I might have kept her...Kind of fun watching her quarter and bounce everywhere! What was funny was when we talked to Springer rescue about her- they had a waiting list for field bred female Springers. She went to a new home in a hurry! Kristi