Irish Setter Puppy Pix

jetto

Irish Setter Puppy Pix

Post by jetto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:56 am

Just wanted to share some cute puppy pics...These are AKC Irish Setter puppies as you can probably tell. Dual prospects. I'm just the "grandma" being the owner of the stud dog but I think that's the best thing to be when it comes to 16 puppies in one litter- no clean up duties, just go play with the kiddos and come home! The breed only has 22 dual champions and these pups are the grandkids of two of them....Needless to say we have high hopes.
June3LtGreenPup.jpg
May29purpleonwing2.jpg
June3Red.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shadow

Re: Irish Setter Puppy Pix

Post by Shadow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:32 am

I picked an Irish Setter pup out of a litter with my 3 year old daughter- 1979- parents were nice but I should have checked on their background-

nice looking pup-

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:46 am

Very nice looking puppies. I dont see very many Irish Setters, (at least around here).
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:03 am

OMG! They're so cute!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:12 am

Thanks guys!

I'm looking forward to next weekend- we're taking all of them down to the field trainers and turning them loose. Should be a blast!

yeah Shadow it's no secret that the show people drove this breed into the ground and the 70's was right about the time that started....We got lucky with our first Irish who came from a strictly show background and have developed him into a pretty decent walking gun dog. He occasionally shows his stuff at a horseback trial but he's more comfortable being handled off foot. The sire to this litter however has some wheels- it's just getting them going in the right direction! LOL! I keep telling myself patience patience patience....Kristi

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:01 pm

I don't know jetto- there is just something about a long haired Irish Setter on point with the wind blowing- course I have enough trouble with my Britt's and cockle burrs and not looking for longer hair- for years I hunted my ES with my Britt's- was almost to the point of shaving her- but one just can't remove that hair

I jumped on your web- beautifull dogs

good luck in show and field with the pup- DC on an Irish is impressive

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:46 pm

The best thing i've found so far is Crisco spray. Not PAM- that works "ok" but the Crisco works better! Took me 2 hours to clean that dog up after the first time he ran at Kildeer in the fall. I vowed never again to go through THAT! The Crisco has worked good. We do trim him up right before trial season- shorten feathers, belly hair, bib hair, etc.. He came back from a brace one time with his ear hair tangled up in his Tracker antennas- looked like he had a bun on his head... :lol: ..lesson learned- trim the ear hair too!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Second best retrieving dog I ever owned next to a lab was an Irish Setter. I had die hard English Setter breeders and trialers try to get him off me. Only bad thing was that at a year he had never offered to point a bird one. Heck of a retriever over land and water on quail and pheasant though. Got rid of him at about a year and a half when I moved and didn't have a place to keep him. He came from predominantly show lines but man that dog loved to retrieve. Nice looking pups and good luck with them.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:54 am

jetto wrote:The best thing i've found so far is Crisco spray. Not PAM- that works "ok" but the Crisco works better! Took me 2 hours to clean that dog up after the first time he ran at Kildeer in the fall. I vowed never again to go through THAT! The Crisco has worked good. We do trim him up right before trial season- shorten feathers, belly hair, bib hair, etc.. He came back from a brace one time with his ear hair tangled up in his Tracker antennas- looked like he had a bun on his head... :lol: ..lesson learned- trim the ear hair too!
milo fields were famous for cockle burrs- I'd spend an hour getting them out of my Britt- longer on the ES- kept saying we weren't going into them- yeh right -that's where the quail were- under the front shoulders were the worst- dogs wouldn't stop- but then again there were 'Birds in here"

I did use an electric shaver on them when we knew we were going to those places- tears almost came as I'd look at my setter

thanks- going to pick up a can of Crisco spray
right now I'm having a problem with sand burrs-

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:07 am

tommyboy- we had a freind in Wisconsin who trained, owned, raised, and had national champion Golden Retrievers- a pair of them- he liked to go head to head with Black Labs in a couple states up north

brother had a Golden, I had a crossed Golden/Iris, best freind had a black lab- we'd get them together in the spring when the ice was going out for some water work- want to know which dog finally quit- wouldn't do more than hit the water before coming back and sitting

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Kristi- these babies coming to the PA fun day? I think I need to hold one or two...I love the IS babies!!! Love the purple pup's stance and tail....PERFECT!

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Well gee, maybe all the Irish Setters weren't ruined after all!
If they were, nobody told these babies. 8)
Beautiful, and it looks like all the parts work! Great pics. :mrgreen:

dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

glk7243

Post by glk7243 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Good thing they are cute when they are little. Cuz, when they grow up they don't look like much.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I prefer short hair and short tails, but in my opinion the most beautiful breed walking the earth is the irish setter.

Great looking pups I hope they make you proud.

glk7243 that dog might look a little better if it had some STYLE! :D

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:06 pm

I am a pointer man through and through but I would have to say the Irish Setter is definitely the most stylish and beautiful dog on point.

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:41 pm

Absolutely beautiful pups. And, glk7243, your dog on point is one of the best-looking I'm seen. I think a field-bred Irish Setter is in the running for my next bird dog. Just looks awesome. Can they hunt grouse? If so, I'm sold!

Eric

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Depends on what grouse you are talking about - this guy was pointing the heck out of sharptail as a seven month old last year - We are looking forward to running him in trials this year.

"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp