AKC Field bred Irish setters

Wa Chukar Hunter

AKC Field bred Irish setters

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:55 pm

Just wondering what you all thought about different kennels and the dogs they produce.

Background - I have a AKC registered irish setter female that is in heat (she always comes in June) and last year I bred her to one of my males and the pups were very good - my male died last year. I have two males here now that I own one is FDSB irish setter and is pretty darned nice (although still young at 18 months) and the other is 1/2 brother to my male that died (but not near as good as his brother or my other one). Dot will likely come in again February - just wondering what recommends you have.

I am a member of both the ISCA and the NRSFTC. I am hoping to go to both Booneville and Grove Spring trials this year. Are there dogs that I should be looking for at either trial to assess.

Keith
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

bigoak

Re: AKC Field bred Irish setters

Post by bigoak » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:28 pm

What about Tim Hammon's male,Code red?...vern

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:38 pm

I am not into red setters myslef, but ...

A friend of mine who is into the Irish seemed pretty impressed with Rocky's Straight Arrow a year or two back.

RayG

Edit -

Just realized that the Arrow dog is registered FDSB and you were asking about AKC. My mistake.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmanksu

Post by gmanksu » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Keith,

Don Beauchamp now has Aiken in Kansas from Dr. Boser,he is a true all age type dog and that is why Don got him from Roger. I have a female out of him and she is very nice at 18 months, very natural bird dog with a lot of smarts, and a good motor.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:07 pm

If Jack Flynn is still in red dogs, I'd look at his. They're registered both ways.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:06 pm

shags wrote:If Jack Flynn is still in red dogs, I'd look at his. They're registered both ways.
Jack's Harry dog is indeed a very nice dog. You could do a lot worse.

RayG

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:48 am

I've judged San Zan's Blue dog,he does a very nice jpb...vern

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:10 am

I actually worked a female last summer in my puppy program at SD. I believe she was Rockys Straight Arrow X Speedi Edie O'Floin and I don't believe I have ever seen a young red setter that was better, and I am not sure I have seen a dog of any breed with more potential.

My dogs here are:

Cullen is a nice young male (Harry O'Floin X St Judes Windsong) but very slow developing - he looked great on wild birds last summer. I am hoping he will light up the prairies this year - so far he has been solid but less than stellar in performance.

Dot is my female seems to throw nice pups (ZanSett Return X ZanSett Monica) on the small side and throws that in her puppies too. Ideally I would like to breed her to a tall dog in the 50 lb range. Hopefully, I will be able to find that in an AKC dog.

Camulus is a super nice dog (Chapparal X Sizzlin Belle) but he is FDSB only. He matured fast, is nearly broke and lit up the prairies last year as a 7 month old puppy. He would be my best choice to breed to Dot within my own kennel but he has a bad bite and I am not sure I want to breed him at all.

This search is further complicated by the lack of ability to register FDSB dogs with the AKC. And the relative distance that the good males are difficult to observe - whether they be FDSB or AKC dogs.

So, with luck I will get to see both ISCA National Championship and the NRSFTC National Championship - and be able to see all the really great ones from both sides and have information to make a good decision.
"I swear a woman's breast is the hardest rock, the Almighty ever created, and I can find no sign on it." Bear Claw Chris Lapp

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:38 am

I don't see any of the straight bred AKC dogs that light my fire...vern

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:29 pm

Keith,

Have a look at Jack Flynn's stuff. Maybe Ed Lierman of Wisconsin will be at Booneville or Grove Springs. I watched his stuff these spring, nice on the ground, style...young though.

Or Georgia Brown.

There seems to be some sickle tails popping in some lines.....hate it.
Dan

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks Dan;

I like quite a few of the irish setters down here in Texas, owned by Georgia. I also like some of the young dogs owned by Jim Baker and Bill Rhodes. Was just looking to expand my horizons just a bit.

Keith