8%
Bitch (spayed)
22%

Total votes: 37

FlyinSoLow

Which gender do you prefer?

Post by FlyinSoLow » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:03 pm

Which gender do you prefer?
Just wondering what everyone’s opinions on the subject are.
Of course, everyone is entitled to opinions and I know this is really just personal preference above all, but I thought It would be interesting to see.

If you have the time and don’t mind, please state why you like what you like!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Which gender do you prefer?

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:27 pm

The one that hunts
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:37 pm

The one that hunts

Ditto except I prefer the one thats hunts well :lol:

I seen some that hunt, that I still wouldnt want to own :wink:

Seriously though the only downfall I can see gender wise is a female can come into heat during the hunting season (which in my neck of the woods would mean she would be benched for a couple weeks during the season) same can happen when planning a hunt test or whatever your into.. Which could force you to cancel a planned trip for testing. But if you own mutiple dogs you always have a backup.. So my pick would be both but that is not an option in the survey...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:36 pm

briarpatch wrote:
The one that hunts

Seriously though the only downfall I can see gender wise is a female can come into heat during the hunting season (which in my neck of the woods would mean she would be benched for a couple weeks during the season) same can happen when planning a hunt test or whatever your into.. Which could force you to cancel a planned trip for testing. But if you own mutiple dogs you always have a backup.. So my pick would be both but that is not an option in the survey...
Touche :lol: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen: :wink: :lol: :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:09 pm

It depends.

For competition, intact males all the way. My bitches seem to come into season within weeks of the beginning of each field trial season...and they get stupid 2 weeks before they come in, and often stay stupid for weeks after also, especially if they have false pregnancies, which is pretty common.

If not competing, either gender spay/neutered.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:39 pm

briarpatch wrote:
The one that hunts

Is true about trials but we get our females to work through it and train through it ...in NSTRA we are not allowed to run females in heat at all, so yeah you loose some trials. but soon as cycle is done back to the trials and guiding and the only reason I don't guide when in season is I don't want to take any chances with someone from another field who can't or won't control their dogs. Thankfully my females though they may get a little strange they never get to the point i can't run them before during or after ....

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't care. I want the best pup ( available), I can afford.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:40 pm

I don't care. I want the best pup ( available), I can afford
Ya, I agree but males are easier to name :mrgreen: